• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1980s Getzen Flugel Lead Taper

View previous topic :: View next topic  
g2mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: 1980s Getzen Flugel Lead Taper Reply with quote

Hello all,

I bought a Getzen Eterna Flugel a while ago and when I tried to buy a mouthpiece for it, the one I got did not fit. I spent a long time looking into what pieces fit Getzen flugel and I bought a Yamaha piece. The piece bottomed out. I had to have my local music shop cut a bit off the end of the shank to make it fit. So I guess the crux of the question is did older Getzen Flugels use a different taper than they do now? Or do I have a bad horn? Or maybe some ideas on what other taper may fit without needing a hacksaw to fit.

For reference the Flugel's serial number starts with K90,XXX and my research put that being made between 1980-1985.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1980s Getzen Flugel Lead Taper Reply with quote

g2mitchell wrote:
So I guess the crux of the question is did older Getzen Flugels use a different taper than they do now?

I have a 1975 Getzen 896 Eterna Flugelhorn. By default they come with a large/Yamaha leadpipe. But Getzen offers the small/Bach leadpipe as an option. I have both (the large tapered leadpipe it came with, and a small tapered leadpipe I purchased for about $30).

See if a modern Bach flugelhorn mouthpiece fits. If it does, then you know what you have. And if you want, you can purchase a large-tapered leadpipe from Getzen.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Getzen Eterna flugel is serial # K63625, I bought it used in 1979 but it was in like new condition, made somewhere between 1976 and '79. It has the large Morse taper.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
g2mitchell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went and tried a modern Bach Flugel piece at a local music store. No dice. The piece was too long. Diameter seemed to fit just needed to be shorter. So modern Yamaha and Bach mouthpieces are too long for this taper. Any idea what else it could be?
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible someone has re-worked the receiver on that leadpipe to accept trumpet mouthpieces?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is becoming clear that the OP is referring to the receiver taper, and not the leadpipe taper. Am I correct in that assumption?
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
It is becoming clear that the OP is referring to the receiver taper, and not the leadpipe taper. Am I correct in that assumption?

That was my assumption when I replied the other day.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1980s Getzen Flugel Lead Taper Reply with quote

g2mitchell wrote:
The piece bottomed out. I had to have my local music shop cut a bit off the end of the shank to make it fit.

I am confused by what you say here. On all my flugels (Yamaha, Couesnon, Olds, B&S, Kanstul -- admittedly, I don't have a Getzen Eterna), there is no 'ledge' inside the receiver/tuning bit for a mouthpiece shank to form a gap with or bump up against the way there is on a trumpet. Even my Anborg flugel, which uses a main tuning slide rather than a leadpipe tuning bit, has no 'ledge'. (I verified this by sliding a thin plastic rod along the inside surface of the receivers.)

If your mouthpiece bottomed out and you cured it by having the shank cut shorter, it means (1) Getzen Eternas have a ledge inside their tuning bits and yours has been reamed out, or (2) your horn has a modified or nonstandard aftermarket tuning bit.

I would go along with what others have replied here and order a new tuning bit from Getzen. Even better, describe your situation to them first and get their opinion about what's happening.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1972-ish Getzen Eterna KH 212 flugel came with a ledge in the tuning bit.. Giardinelli cut down a Bach mouthpiece to fit when I bought it. At some point in the 1970s Getzen removed the ledge. No one ever seems to believe me whenever I post this. 😂

You can get a ledge less one from Getzen at a very reasonable cost, which I did.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffM729 wrote:
. . . No one ever seems to believe me whenever I post this. 😂

I certainly believe you, given what the OP said. Now the only question is, why would Getzen put a ledge in their early flugelhorn receivers that prevented the most prevalent flugel mouthpieces from fitting without cutting them down? Was it a playability or intonation thing? Maybe Brett Getzen has some insights he can share.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually any short shank flugel mouthpiece will fit your Getzen Eterna. I’ve used Getzen and Curry without any issue.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiosity got the best of me, so I dug out my 1972 Getzen 4 valve flugelhorn. There is a slight "ledge" 0.88" down the receiver. I ordered a stock "American" shank Bach 1 1/2 C S flugelhorn mouthpiece a few weeks after I got the flug (February 20th, 1971) which came with a Getzen 3C. It looks like the Bach shank and a much more recent Yamaha 16F4 have about a 0.03" gap.

I have been happy with the horn and both mouthpieces, but I haven't done an awful lot of Flug work the last 12 or so years. Occasionally doubling on brass band flug parts, or church Christmas performances. It isn't bad with the Getzen 3C, but I prefer the Yamaha or Bach cup and rim.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: