• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stripping Lacquer from my Martin Committee

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoelarry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Stripping Lacquer from my Martin Committee Reply with quote

I posted a month ago re de lacquering I wanted to have done on my Vintage Committee. The lacquer was worn away in spots and marred the look of the horn ( yeah, I’m mental !) anyway, I took it to a local brass tech. He advised me against de lacquering because soldering from previous work on the horn ( before I bought it) was slightly visible and so would visibly mar the looks of the raw brass. Said he’d have to remove those parts and resolder them correctly. He said that not only would involve a lot of work ($$$) but would ultimately remove metal along with the removal of solder which apparently is not a good thing.
I’m asking for advice: the horn plays and sounds great. Valves work great. I could leave it as is but frankly I like the sound and look of the raw brass and frankly it bothers me ( I already copped to being mental !) that the
Horn looks like it has leprosy with lacquer missing in various places. I don’t want to spend more than $500 or $ 600.
Opinions and advice greatly appreciated.
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a pic if you can.

I have had horns with significant lacquer loss, where the lacquered parts were still in good shape. I found it possible to carefully hand polish the raw brass parts to more closely resemble the shiny lacquered parts. Not perfect, but it might bother you less.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
yoelarry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the tip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: