• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure troubles with high notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavinG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Embouchure troubles with high notes Reply with quote

I've been having a little bit of trouble with building my range. At the moment, I can play up to a double A without any serious pressure headaches, or tension. But whenever I try to go even a half step higher, to a Bb, the note only comes out for a very short amount of time and I feel like I need to change my embouchure. Despite this, chances with my aperture, or tongue placement don't seem to help me get higher.

Any and all tips are appreciated
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but I suspect you are running out of air. Try taking a deeper breath. Up there, the more air you have, the better.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can play up to a double A

You mean A above high C ?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the A above the staff, then it might be too much upper lip mouthpiece rim pressure - so much that the pressure inhibits lip flexibility and vibration / pulsation.

In that situation, try using some / more lower lip rim pressure by using your jaw - and it is the pressure that is important, not much actual jaw movement. Additional lower lip pressure can change the balance of upper / lower pressure distribution and allow the upper to be more flexible. Learning to use and control the distribution of rim pressure is an important part of playing.

If you are trying to get high notes by stretching your lip thin and tight, that's another problem - it can cause lack of flexibility, and injury.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
I'm no expert, but I suspect you are running out of air. Try taking a deeper breath. Up there, the more air you have, the better.
George
I disagree. Too much air up there is the enemy, blows open the chops. Play softly up there, getting the note to quietly speak, then and only then will the note open up with a bit more air. High notes take very little air.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us refer to a double A as the A above double C.
We use high C as a reference point, meaning, any note from high C to double high C is merely called high.
Some have been taught otherwise, yet every player I know says high until double C.
One uses far less air in the extreme register. The embouchure must be kept as closed as needed for the note. Too much air and POW! no sound.
R. Tomasek
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+3 less air up high. Adding air most likely is not what you need to change.

Also - sometimes we actually need to “not change anything” to go up.
It can be that we are changing something unnecessarily.
DavinG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:
I can play up to a double A

You mean A above high C ?

Yes, or to be more specific, the A 5 spaces above the staff
DavinG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Most of us refer to a double A as the A above double C.
We use high C as a reference point, meaning, any note from high C to double high C is merely called high.
Some have been taught otherwise, yet every player I know says high until double C.
One uses far less air in the extreme register. The embouchure must be kept as closed as needed for the note. Too much air and POW! no sound.
R. Tomasek

Huh, well, I guess I was taught otherwise. from what I've learned and what I've been told, the 'double' range starts at the E above the staff and then the 'triple' range starts at the next e, an octave above that
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen carefully to your sound as you approach your highest pitch. I would bet you will hear your sound begin to change 3-4 notes before your highest pitch. Work on these notes until they have "the sound".
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Embouchure troubles with high notes Reply with quote

DavinG wrote:
I've been having a little bit of trouble with building my range. At the moment, I can play up to a double A without any serious pressure headaches, or tension. But whenever I try to go even a half step higher, to a Bb, the note only comes out for a very short amount of time and I feel like I need to change my embouchure. Despite this, chances with my aperture, or tongue placement don't seem to help me get higher.

Any and all tips are appreciated

From what I understand that approximate range is a common problem area - it is for me. I can hit G and Ab big but A, Bb, B are really stubborn - I have a better batting average getting Dub C to come out than those notes.

But, if I hit things just right they'll pop out. Just recently I slid up from a first ledger B up to a high B and it came out easy and strong. The other day I got multiple Bb's to come out, seemed easy. So obviously it's a matter of finding just the right balance.

Doc Severinsen had a strong Dub C and then some range but I've seen examples of him struggling with an A. I'm told Bill Chase had problems with A.

What I've found can help is applying just a hair more pressure on the top lip and being conscious of the gap between the teeth and of course make sure you're driving enough air.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are very minute nuances between these notes ... feel it going up (from note to note) as it stays the same right on up past double C. COMPRESSION is what increases. I practice legit studies with a Claude Gordon Personal Mouthpiece with a #20 drill and then my Monette Prana feels smaller with a 23 drill. My advise is more compression.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My advise is more compression.

You mean air pressure, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: