• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Go high without losing accuracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Go high without losing accuracy Reply with quote

I wont be able to see my teacher for a while but I want to know what i can be doing to make my high notes seat really well. I just started using the Caruso stuff at the end of my routine but I still bave issues getting the high notes I do have so really lock in instantaneously. Any help or book recommendations would be appreciated.
OldHorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No magical tips here, just practice. I used to play the Clarke Technical Studies up an octave or 2, that helped me.
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldHorn wrote:
No magical tips here, just practice. I used to play the Clarke Technical Studies up an octave or 2, that helped me.

I'll try that. Also I'm not looking for anything magic just something to add to my practice. Thanks
kgsmith1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick to the routine your teacher gave you. Sounds like it's working. Familiarity leads to consistency, so just let yourself get familiar with the new habits. Adding a bunch of new drills on the recommendation of the internet would probably confuse the chops.

Stick to the routines and play some familiar music here and there and see how it feels (on relatively fresh chops) to let the healthy habits kick in during musical playing. Individual missed notes or a bad day here or there are part of learning and shouldn't put you off a routine that is working well so far. If Caruso works for you, there are great sticky threads there and plenty of book recommendations you can explore that will keep you occupied for a decade or three. For now congrats on your progress so far and keep at it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What advice did your teacher give you on your last lesson?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Beanboy128

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: kehaulani reply Reply with quote

We've been working on embouchure work and a big warmup routine but as far as actual practice we haven't said much. I'm trying to make sure mine is comprehensive and then run it by him next lesson.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of your practice should be going slow enough so that you 'cleanly' PLAY each note - not just 'hit it'.

While doing slow practice, be aware of all the physical aspects of when it works right, and then be able to reproduce those feelings.

High notes demand more accurate settings for each pitch. And they require better control of all the elements of playing - air, tongue, jaw, amount of mouthpiece pressure, upper / lower lip distribution of lip pressure, etc.

High notes are a learned skill, not just muscle strength (certainly NOT pain endurance). There might be 'new skills' that you haven't yet learned, or that you haven't needed to use yet.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accuracy in the upper register can be a challenge. You are playing notes that may be difficult for you to play, and the partials are closer and closer together, so it is easier to miss a note even when you are using the "correct" fingering.

Make sure you can "hear" the note you are trying to play: What does a C# sound like? It isn't a high note that you play 2 or 1&2. It is a specific pitch. It is easier to hit it cleanly when you can hear what it should sound like.

Also, get a feel for the intervals. It might help to play sections down an octave so that you get comfortable with the intervals before playing them as written. That will help.

Finally, Clarke's Technical Studies and other studies of that kind played in the upper register can really help, but they can also give you a false sense of security in that you already know the patterns, sounds, intervals: You can hear that as you play them. Thus, they may help more with building upper register power, endurance, etc., than they help with upper register accuracy. If you change the way you play those studies -- vary articulation, slur patterns, displacements, etc., you may find that it helps focus on accuracy.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a beginning band book (like standard of excellence) and play those melodies up the octave. Go through it like you are back in middle school. Suggestion from Joey Tartell.

We spend a large portion of our career in the mid-low register, its just about putting in the time in that octave.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
Get a beginning band book (like standard of excellence) and play those melodies up the octave. Go through it like you are back in middle school. Suggestion from Joey Tartell.

We spend a large portion of our career in the mid-low register, its just about putting in the time in that octave.

Better yet, transpose melodies up 1/2 step then another............
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As boring as it sounds I have had good success with simple scales during warmup. To keep it interesting move from major to minor scale, bring in all the different variants such as aeolian, dorian, etc.

And yes, go slow and make sure to actually play the note and make it sound good.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice Arban's page 125,intervales. Play quarter notes at 60 bpm.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you already can play in that register, just not hit the notes accurately, it's a matter of first hearing the pitch and then matching it.

Try hearing-singing-playing. If the itches are too high to sing, sing an octave lower but match playing an octave higher.

Then eliminate the singing and only hear-play.

There are exercises which contain random pitches. These are excellent for practice.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scales & arpeggios, slurred at first, then adding a legato articulation, finally using a staccato or marcato articulation.

I like doing major scales in a 1-5, 5-9 configuration. So, a C scale would be played:

C-D-E-F-G-F-E-D-C

(C)-D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D-C-B-A-G

(G)-A-B-C-D-C-B-A-G-F-E-D-C

And you can ascend chromatically through all the keys from there.

johnlakejazz.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: