• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Solos based on Hymns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mastandinger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Solos based on Hymns Reply with quote

I'm currently looking for repertoire for my master's recital, and I want to find a way to honor the fact that I grew up in the Episcopal church. I'm specifically looking for pieces that are based on hymns, but I am having trouble finding ones that would fit on a master's recital. I also don't have access to an organ unfortunately.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I have no restrictions in terms of instrumentation, duration, time period, etc. other than no organ.

TIA!
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hindemith Sonata has a setting of a Bach Choral, All Men Must Die. Check out Glenn Gould's explanation beginning at about the 4th minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhcNR3KCwzY

And, there is always the Alan Hovhaness piece, The Prayer of St. Gregory. Nothing special and certainly not tricky. But, it will pass your litmus test.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeper's Awake Bach - contains the hymn "Sleeper's Awake" A Voice Astounds Us (Nicolai) which I think you will find in Episcopal hymnals.

There are several brass quintet arrangements out there - maybe you could spice it up here and there playing an octave higher with a pic.

Shame you don't get to have a pipe organ - of course there is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czj7hVxpN2E&list=RDczj7hVxpN2E&index=1
Skip to 19 min.

Display a picture of a bunch of organ pipes on a screen behind you - hide the electronic keyboard player and your stacks of Marshall speakers behind a "green curtain" while you play this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3vTqhl080A

Last edited by Andy Cooper on Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used hymnals are cheap--I'd buy a copy of the 80s hymnal and spend some time in it. One possibility is to see if your recital falls near a church festival (easter, pentecost). Some of the hymns have descants. I think you could arrange a piece pretty easily. Another option is to look at Anglican centers (NYC, Cambridge, Oxford, etc.) and see if you can find a brass arrangement you like on youtube.
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Hyfrydol Aspects Reply with quote

Check out Hyfrydol Aspects by Terry Emerson.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I’m not sure where to look for this, but a friend of mine used to send me solo hymns that were written in treble clef for a Salvation Army Euphonium player. Some were quite advanced and probably written for the NY staff band. The Salvation Army might be a good source. I just don’t know how to contact them.

Hope this helps, Dave
P.S. please let me know what you find, I am also a grad student (69 years old too) and may be interested in playing some of these, so I will also inquire with my friend about these solos. I haven’t seen them in years. I also have a very old book, written in the 1800’s called the Cornetist Folio, though many of the solos are in A, it has a lot of great and challenging pieces. I also think somebody recently revised it so it may be in publication again. I was also contemplating writing out the some of the solos for Bb with concert band transcription accompaniment .
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
rbtrpt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a collection of hymn arrangements for trpt/pno by Edwin Childs, published by Woodland Music Press. It contains 11 pieces; the "Be Thou My Vision" (Slane) arrangement is especially nice.
Best
Rick Bogard
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could look at some of the Wallace-Head wedding and holiday (Christmas, Easter) books.

Also the Smith/Curnow book series Great Hymns, Great Carols.

Last edited by Don Herman rev2 on Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
BaldEagle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnhouse's Variations on Rock of Ages may fit the bill. Written for cornet, it is a traditional theme and variations based on Rock of Ages. I've used this in many church services and a recital or two. It was out of print for decades, but Barnhouse has now brought it back. It is listed as a duet, but can be played as a solo or duet. https://barnhouse.com/product/090-0115-24/
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of two Phils may fill your need:

The Phil Smith hymns collections are very nice, arranged by James Curnow. The Amazing Grace arrangement is especially creative and beautiful. Not sure if any of these are still available in print (JW Pepper, maybe?).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=phil+smith+hymns

Phil Driscoll produced two CDs of hymns collections. Some of them are definitely more commercial in style, but you might find something that could be used in a formal recital program...IF you can still find the sheet music in print. They were published for trumpet and piano at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=phil+driscoll+hymns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: