• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Form your chops like you are blowing very hard but don't

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Form your chops like you are blowing very hard but don't Reply with quote

This is my current concept I'm exploring. Form your face like you are about to spit a watermelon seed as far as you can from the tip of your tongue, but then when it's time to play, just blow hard enough to get the seed to fall off your tongue. I'm working on forward motion with my chops rather than pulling back, or scrunching inward. I think it's helpful to think of embouchure motion being forward. Just opening that up if you want to try thinking that way and let me know here how it goes. Don't overblow.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggio?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~shrug~

That's not even close to how I form my setup. I form it the way I know supports a tone which in no way resembles what I'd do to spit a watermelon seed.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Form your chops like you are blowing very hard but don't Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
... I'm working on forward motion with my chops rather than pulling back, or scrunching inward. I think it's helpful to think of embouchure motion being forward. ...

-----------------------------
Do you set your lips in that position before you apply mouthpiece rim pressure?

How do you establish the desired 'contact points' of your lips on your teeth?

After rim pressure for playing is established, does that make changes to the feel of embouchure motion and muscle usage?

Do you feel that the 'forward motion' results in different portions of your lips / aperture are being used? Is the distribution of rim pressure different?

Were there particular limitations with your previous embouchure that influenced you to the new method?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
Jaw04 Im like you. In my humble experience "spit set up" for me is preferable to "blow" and "air" thinking. I know Robert P has come "vaikeuksien kautta voittoon" ( Finnish for: "he has undeterred laboured through set backs and has emerged victorious on the other side") What in practice it means is I see no discernible change in embouchure as I ascend.- something Robert P and I have discussed/questioned (!) in the past.
Cheers and stay safe Steve
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking forward to avoid pulling back in the face with the muscles is a good mental exercise to keep from pulling apart the embouchure.

It was by looking at the diagrams in the Stevens book and learning about the masseter, obicularis oris and how some of those cheek muscles can potentially pull apart our lips that helped my mental imagery of this concept.

Following up on the comment I just saw….

The conversation mentioned echoes a comment that was told to me which was that I should try to keep the embouchure consistent as I ascend.
In my case it was the changes that I “thought” I should make that were actually disrupting the ability for the tone to speak.

By mentally trying to keep things the same as I went a note or two up it allowed me to get the notes to speak.

In some ways playing trumpet reminds me of tweaking a golf swing!
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Form your chops like you are blowing very hard but don't Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
This is my current concept I'm exploring. Form your face like you are about to spit a watermelon seed as far as you can from the tip of your tongue, but then when it's time to play, just blow hard enough to get the seed to fall off your tongue. I'm working on forward motion with my chops rather than pulling back, or scrunching inward. I think it's helpful to think of embouchure motion being forward. Just opening that up if you want to try thinking that way and let me know here how it goes. Don't overblow.

You should contact Bobby Shew as he highly recommends the seed spitting motion to build strength. I spit seeds at the buttheads in cars vs. flipping them off, you can get a lot of practice this way.
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: