• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Journey Revisited

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Journey Revisited Reply with quote

If you could start your trumpet journey over, what would you do differently and why?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being more mindful/purposeful in my practice Took me a long time to figure that out.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take lessons before college and avoid mouthpiece safaris.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim!

In my misspent and poorly rationed youth, I was blessed with a really solid natural chop setup that I took for granted. So many things that my friends and colleagues seemed to struggle with and still do decades later were never and still aren't problematic for me; core sound focus and very full range (natural pivot system) according to some. I coasted on those gifts and didn't work on anything else foundational to trumpet choosing instead to pursue the opposite sex with total abandon like everyday was the last day (ain't the anonymity of the internet great for public confession)! I got lots of work, but never built that solid understructure (the hugest thing) that is, in hindsight, so very necessary to be a decent trumpet player.

Of course life is a very fast moving train, we don't get many chances at do-overs, but now in my retirement from my day gig and a widower (my wife had to be a saint), I am certainly trying to backfill as much as I can and start a new foundation. It is slow progress and at 71 and 8 years into comeback, I likely will not make a dent, but the joy of playing everyday has certainly driven me to stay with it! And that, the pure Joy, is why I still do it! Hence my regular closing statement:

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find an environment where amateur music performance is just that - avoid toxic and high pressure environments while growing up. How about if I had been in a situation where the music was just music and not a tool for parents to show off their kids? I’ll never know and worked myself out of that mindset but it took awhile (and I finally came back to music, unlike others I knew).

Plus, in later years, clever practice - go to music camps and workshops much more frequently - start bass trumpet or other low brass much earlier - get all the mental stuff worked out much earlier.

Lots of things that are now water under the bridge but Mike sums it up pretty nicely: realize (and accept) that it is not about becoming the next Louis or Miles or Clifford but rather to have something that brings you (and others) joy and a step away from some of the issues that may be around you in your personal life.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being more assertive and experiment more, instead of sheepishly following convention and methods that weren't working for me. And practicing smarter, not harder.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never, never buy any vintage horn again.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good replies!

I had good teachers from the beginning. I just didn't follow through on what they taught me.

I wish I had been way more consistent from day one. I remember skipping days, even weeks, then trying to regain ground in a single day.

As I got older I wasted so much time and money trying to find a magic mouthpiece. What a futile effort that was!

I remember a sign in an old German-American's barber's shop: "Vee get too soon oldt und too late schmart!"

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, Jim...I most certainly would have started taking private lessons earlier.
This would also have helped me because I went through an embouchure change
relatively late.

I was pretty lucky with acquiring equipment that worked well at the time. But of course, if
I had the means I would have sought out some fine Calicchios and Martins!
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Journey Revisited Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
If you could start your trumpet journey over, what would you do differently and why?

It's a great question, but experience is the teacher, as others have noted. I don't think I knew enough in my youthful days to avoid the pitfall of irregular and/or bad practice habits. As a result I had years of chop problems and no clue as to what I was doing wrong.

I feel as if I've finally got enough consciousness of what I'm actually doing while I play to at least keep it more consistent. Daily practice, a routine that changes weekly, taking a class at the Jazz School in Berkeley where I get to play Monk tunes every week. Talk about music that keeps you awake and aware! I feel really lucky and it took until the age of 68 to get there.

So don't give up - never, never, never.
https://yourbrass.com/
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always "relatively" satisfied with what I had achieved but, in retrospect, think at times I was also too satisfied with that when I could've done more.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I remember a sign in an old German-American's barber's shop: "Vee get too soon oldt und too late schmart!"

Another thanks to you Jim!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces

Last edited by cbtj51 on Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
I would never, never buy any vintage horn again.

Time to come over to me and try my latest aquisition

Apart from that, I regret now that I quit trumpet playing at the age of 15; as I see it now it was a big mistake but over then, well, I just hated the community band, I didn't like the conductor and more over, I could not made the link between my trumpet (a rental piece of junk from the community band) and Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass.

As well I would not climb on a high performance motocycle at the age of 16...
jcubed901

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a self-taught player, I wish I had encountered more models for forming an effective embouchure. Like many of us, I first heard “buzz the lips and then move the mp to the lips”. However, I wish I’d encountered the “coffee straw”method, and other methods, to better understand how a well-balanced embouchure feels

Also, I wish I knew earlier that no equipment purchase would make me a better player. Successful professionals have played on cost-effective Olds Ambassadors. Good players are good players. Different equipment might make playing easier, but only intentional practice can make one play better
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great question, Jim.

I really pondered this, and only thing I come away with is that I wish I had had a way to connect the "play these black dots on this white page" instruction I got with my inherent love of rock and blues. My instructors never connected the dots for me and my parents simply had no knowledge of music whatsoever or the financial means to get a private teacher who might have connected the dots for me.

But no matter. You can't change it and I've learned a couple great lessons about realistic expectations in the course of my 9-year comeback. And I still want to play every day, and that's the important thing.
bean_counter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Brassnose"]Find an environment where amateur music performance is just that - avoid toxic and high pressure environments while growing up. /quote]

High pressure environments aren't necessarily bad, I had the most growth as a musician in those environments - the ones that were skillfully led, anyway.

But the toxicity and politics - I gave up in disgust and just threw the horn in the case, where it stayed for years. I wish I had gone out and found a good local amateur ensemble just to have fun with, many years earlier than I did.

But there are toxic local groups too. At least I can now recognize them and steer clear.
Eclipse cornet (Yellow, Bauerfeind) DW 4B Heritage
Cousnon clairon Bb
'60s Besson tenor horn DW 3
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Journey Revisited Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:

I wanted to take lessons when I first started by my pop dismissed the idea. Revisited, I would push harder.

When starting marching band, I changed my embouchure to make holding the horn easier. Had to be one of the dumbest things I ever did given the amount of effort it took to fix the weirdo mechanics that resulted.
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
Of course life is a very fast moving train, we don't get many chances at do-overs, but now in my retirement from my day gig and a widower (my wife had to be a saint), I am certainly trying to backfill as much as I can and start a new foundation. It is slow progress and at 71 and 8 years into comeback, I likely will not make a dent, but the joy of playing everyday has certainly driven me to stay with it! And that, the pure Joy, is why I still do it! Hence my regular closing statement:

Thanks for sharing that. I enjoy reading blurbs where people are thankful for what they had but still look forward to whatever may come.

I'm still working the day job. I still enjoy it and given my kids' ages will be at it for a while. I have been taking lessons for five years now. Playing better than ever and have joined some local community groups. Sorry that I put the horn down for such a long time but no time to cry over spilled milk!
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bean_counter, I agree. Pressure, peer pressure particularly, is not bad. However, pressure for the wrong reasons can make things really bad. I did play later in a semi-pro environment for quite some time, meaning I was the only non-pro the trumpet section and that definitely was positive pressure. But there are other situations as well.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if...what a good question!

1)I should have gotten myself a good teacher.
Instead of spending innumerable hours practicing while learning the hard way what seemed to enhance my abilities.
Nota bene - I have been rather successful as an amateur - but the amount of work invested in my playing should definitively have resulted in a much much higher coefficient of utilization.
I.e now that I, with the exquisite help of Jeff Smiley, have found that going to the bottom of the BE method even seemingly miniscule changes may have such profound effects!

2)concerning horns, I was lucky to find my old King! If such a horn was to be made again.......the Yamaha RC is a real gem at this point in time - so glad that I found it.
And I have learnt that resistance is a major variable - each of his own preference. The TH has contributed a lot to my understanding of the mechanics of playing - and is the place where I found the BE.

Life has made me a lot more humble.....thus becoming able to learn from others....

3)no Safari.......You gotta know what your´e looking for otherwise you´ll get lost in the desert. Or get forever running for the Holy Grail.

4)Anyhow I´m so grateful for what music has added to my life.
So why complain and regret?
cbtj51 says it in so many words Life is Short, find the Joy in it!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: