• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams A8

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGecko251

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject: Adams A8 Reply with quote

First Post!

Been playing jazz for like 10 years now. Started off on a Yamaha student, then my parents got me a ytr 734, it's a solid horn and I've been on it for 8 years now. My little sister started playing and she's due for a horn upgrade and they want me to give her my horn which is great but now I need a new one. For context I'm in college and play mostly in the school big band and combos and also at some clubs in the city. I know I want a chonkier horn than the ML bore 734 so I eventually ended up on the Adams site looking at maybe making a custom A8. I've heard fantastic things and it checks all the boxes, large bore, large bell, gold/red brass bell, integrated mouthpiece (sure it has function but I mostly care that it's cool and unique). Thoughts on Adams horns or any other advice for picking a new axe out?
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’d better play the A8 first! That’s all I’m sayin’.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big band? A Getzen current model Eterna Classic (or a Severinsen in good shape) or a good Benge.

Oh, sorry. Does it have to be large bore?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TheGecko251

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Big band? A Getzen current model Eterna Classic (or a Severinsen in good shape) or a good Benge.

Oh, sorry. Does it have to be large bore?

Ideally the new horn would be big bore, slow lead pipe taper, big red or gold brass bell, I'm trying to sound like a hug lol. My old Yamaha is .460 but after playing on it for so long I'm tired of how free-blowing and bright it feels and sounds and want something way darker.

I've heard fantastic things about the old Benge's but since my horn now is so old I figured id get something new for once. I should find one to try though!

Adams A4 Custom
Ytr-734
King Cleveland 602
jcubed901

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adams makes some great horns, and I think you’ll be able to find a good fit

If possible, I’d highly recommend trying out the A8 in person. Also, do an A/B comparison with a more conventional horn that you’re familiar with. Some of the Adams horns shape the trumpet’s sound profile in a particular way (the Adams sound). And that difference is best appreciated through comparison

Also, the Adams might feel very different in the hand. How you hold the horn, and use the first and third valve slides, might feel different or need to shift.

In addition to the A8, I’d recommend considering the A4, A4LT, and the A9. Some also feel like an “Adams medium bore” blows much more open than a typical medium, so consider that as well.

If you’re open to horns outside of Adams, the Böhme Tumultus might be interesting. Also, Del Quadro is making phenomenal horns too…”the Mother” or some of his other horns might work for your needs
jcubed901

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One additional thought. If you cannot try the horns in person, this YouTube video is a good “cheat code”

Joe Babiak tries out 52 trumpets including the Adams A8. You’ll be able to hear him play more conventional horns, and observe how the sound shifts as he tries different instruments.

https://youtu.be/ox1uXzMBp4I

(FYI, he has a pt 2 video where he tries even more horns)
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the try before you buy. If your local shops don't have it in stock maybe one of the online retailers like Woodwind and Brasswind does. WWBW has a generous trial period. It looks like a heavy horn. Heavy horns do get a darker sound but the usual compromise is a slower response and less flexibility in coloring your sound. You may want to consider something in between your Yamaha and the A8, but we aren't you and YOLO. Have fun in your search!
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And since I didn't see anyone mention it, you can always get a mouthpiece with a deeper cup to darken up the sound.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGecko251 wrote:
Ideally the new horn would be big bore, slow lead pipe taper, big red or gold brass bell, I'm trying to sound like a hug lol. My old Yamaha is .460 but after playing on it for so long I'm tired of how free-blowing and bright it feels and sounds and want something way darker.

You really should try a selection of horns. Your current choice seems like you may be "hearing with your eyes", and that can lead you astray.

What you describe sounds like a Calicchio R3/7 or 3/9 Copper, but those are unobtainium now that production has ended.

Don't decide based on what you read. When you actually pick up a horn and play it, sometimes how it fits you is very different from how it fits someone who likes to write about it.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mention a budget?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TheGecko251

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Did you mention a budget?

6000 at the absolute most (my parents and I going halfsies, 3000 is what they were planning on spending for a new horn for me and I've got a bunch saved up from a summer job that I had last year).

Plan is to use this horn until I'm well into my 30s, I don't mind spending a little more right now because of that.

Adams A4 Custom
Ytr-734
King Cleveland 602
TheGecko251

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcubed901 wrote:
One additional thought. If you cannot try the horns in person, this YouTube video is a good “cheat code”

Joe Babiak tries out 52 trumpets including the Adams A8. You’ll be able to hear him play more conventional horns, and observe how the sound shifts as he tries different instruments.

https://youtu.be/ox1uXzMBp4I

(FYI, he has a pt 2 video where he tries even more horns)

that video was great, thanks! I saw in the description he went with an A4 with a thick gold brass bell, I wonder how an A8 would sound spec'd the same way.

Adams A4 Custom
Ytr-734
King Cleveland 602
TheGecko251

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
TheGecko251 wrote:

You really should try a selection of horns. Your current choice seems like you may be "hearing with your eyes", and that can lead you astray.

What you describe sounds like a Calicchio R3/7 or 3/9 Copper, but those are unobtainium now that production has ended.

Don't decide based on what you read. When you actually pick up a horn and play it, sometimes how it fits you is very different from how it fits someone who likes to write about it.

The visual look of a horn is important to me, the only thing I dont like about my yamaha right now is that it looks like every other silver plated horn. You're right though, the plan is to go on a horn safari during the upcoming holidays and try a bunch.

Adams A4 Custom
Ytr-734
King Cleveland 602
TheGecko251

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BudBix wrote:
And since I didn't see anyone mention it, you can always get a mouthpiece with a deeper cup to darken up the sound.

Yeah maybe I'll do that during the upcoming music store trips. Right now im on an Bach artisan 3c, I'll see if I can get my hands on the equivalent 1.5c.

Adams A4 Custom
Ytr-734
King Cleveland 602
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGecko251 wrote:
BudBix wrote:

Yeah maybe I'll do that during the upcoming music store trips. Right now im on an Bach artisan 3c, I'll see if I can get my hands on the equivalent 1.5c.

Switching to a 1.5C gives you a wider cup, not a deeper cup.

If you want to darken the tone and take some of the HF noise out, you can stay in the rim size you are used to with a Bach Megatone 3B - in stock at Mouthpiece Express (just checked)

TheGecko251 wrote:
the only thing I dont like about my yamaha right now is that it looks like every other silver plated horn.

If that is the "only" objection, then your direction in new horn choices seems odd. The YTR-734 is a Schilke-designed French-style trumpet with a somewhat bright and clear tonal character (in spite of the high copper content in the bell) not unlike a B5 that it takes a lot from. You really should start with finding out what a mouthpiece will do for yu first, then move on to new horns if looking for something more.

Remember, even if you hear with your eyes, your audience does not, so make sure you choose the equipment that helps you provide the optimal experience for them with the least effort on your part. Finding that is a careful, step by step, process.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TheGecko251"]
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

The visual look of a horn is important to me, the only thing I dont like about my yamaha right now is that it looks like every other silver plated horn. [...]

Oh dear.
TheGecko251

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
TheGecko251 wrote:
BudBix wrote:

Switching to a 1.5C gives you a wider cup, not a deeper cup.

If you want to darken the tone and take some of the HF noise out, you can stay in the rim size you are used to with a Bach Megatone 3B - in stock at Mouthpiece Express (just checked)

TheGecko251 wrote:
the only thing I dont like about my yamaha right now is that it looks like every other silver plated horn.

If that is the "only" objection, then your direction in new horn choices seems odd. The YTR-734 is a Schilke-designed French-style trumpet with a somewhat bright and clear tonal character (in spite of the high copper content in the bell) not unlike a B5 that it takes a lot from. You really should start with finding out what a mouthpiece will do for yu first, then move on to new horns if looking for something more.

Remember, even if you hear with your eyes, your audience does not, so make sure you choose the equipment that helps you provide the optimal experience for them with the least effort on your part. Finding that is a careful, step by step, process.

I've already been on a few mouthpiece safari's lol the artisan 3c works for me the best overall, I'll try a megatone for sure, but I'm pretty partial to the throat and round edge of the artisan 3c.

I should have been more specific, my 734 is great overall. It's was a great horn for all the different genres I was playing in middle and high school, but now that I'm only really playing jazz I'm seeking something a little more purpose built if that makes sense. I think the 734 is so versatile because of how much the tonal color changes based on the volume, but I don't want/ need that tonal versatility any more. And honestly I feel like I've outgrown it if that makes sense?

Adams A4 Custom
Ytr-734
King Cleveland 602
TheGecko251

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcubed901 wrote:
Adams makes some great horns, and I think you’ll be able to find a good fit

If possible, I’d highly recommend trying out the A8 in person. Also, do an A/B comparison with a more conventional horn that you’re familiar with. Some of the Adams horns shape the trumpet’s sound profile in a particular way (the Adams sound). And that difference is best appreciated through comparison

Also, the Adams might feel very different in the hand. How you hold the horn, and use the first and third valve slides, might feel different or need to shift.

In addition to the A8, I’d recommend considering the A4, A4LT, and the A9. Some also feel like an “Adams medium bore” blows much more open than a typical medium, so consider that as well.

If you’re open to horns outside of Adams, the Böhme Tumultus might be interesting. Also, Del Quadro is making phenomenal horns too…”the Mother” or some of his other horns might work for your needs

I've also been looking at an A4s or A4LTs, but I've also been hearing that they tend to blow open so I figured I'd jump to the big boy A8. Definitely gonna try them soon, there's an Adams dealer an hour away from me I might go tomorrow.

Adams A4 Custom
Ytr-734
King Cleveland 602
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGecko251 wrote:
It's was a great horn for all the different genres I was playing in middle and high school, but now that I'm only really playing jazz I'm seeking something a little more purpose built if that makes sense.

That does. I play an Austin Winds stage466 - I do understand that focused approach.

TheGecko251 wrote:
I think the 734 is so versatile because of how much the tonal color changes based on the volume, but I don't want/ need that tonal versatility any more. And honestly I feel like I've outgrown it if that makes sense?

No, that does not make sense. Sure, you may have a focus, but playing opportunities always arise that will fall outside of it. Finding what best supports where you are going is, of course, the right path. But the idea of outgrowing other playing is way off base. You should become more versatile as you grow as a player, not less.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with OSE and generally think the starting assumption of the thread is „flawed“, for the lack of a better term. Moving on is great but it seems the OP actually likes his 734, gets along with it, and also gets the right results. So why move on? I can go from cornet-like to quite aggressive on my Bach with a change of approach to a tune and a change of mouthpiece.

Your itch for a new horn (who would EVER understand that on TH ) seems to be based on the plain look of your 734 and only to a smaller extent on the new sound concept, which appears to evolve/change/whatever (I think the Schilke Bx and related Yamaha designs are among the most elegant trumpets designs out there, but tastes are of course different).

I’ve been there and when I went into my comeback now almost 10 years ago I discovered TH and loads of other internets sources, went down the rabbit hole, and read about all those heavy, dark sounding trumpets with a huge bell. Felt like I needed one, too.

Guess what: I didn’t. I kept coming back to my Bach and only later, when the real need arose I bought my Schmidt rotary, which is my favorite horn these days because it sounds so warm and friendly but (here is the catch) not extremely broad. More polite than the Bach, yes, but not like a flumpet.

Long story short: find a horn that you feel it could fit the bill, possibly the A8, but keep your 734. You may find yourself going back to it more often than you think.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: