• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

No Teeth (Well 4 teeth)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
don1298

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: No Teeth (Well 4 teeth) Reply with quote

I posted in another forum a while back when I first started my comeback after 30 years away.

I had all of but 4 lower teeth pulled for dentures and two different dentists were not able to make dentures to fit my mouth. I eventually gave up. A new shot at dentures nor implants are financially possible. Knowing I would have unique challenges, I bought a horn and started playing.

So far, 12 weeks in, it's not too bad. Up to a upper D on the staff, I am good. But once I get to E and above, the notes simply won't sound. The only way I can get them at all is to tongue them very hard and loud. Then they are only very short tones that may hit or miss. I am playing out of the Arban book and Clarke Studies book (Elementary and Technical Studies).

Do you think this is because of the missing front top teeth and tongue arch issues? I have studied Maggio and Mendez because they both had accidents where their front teeth were removed. But, there is almost nothing as far their playing techniques out there. Any opinions would be welcomed. I am starting with a teacher after Thanksgiving but would like to have some opinions before I get to that point.

Thanks in advance.
Callet Jazz MP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: