• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Exploring a return to the trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Options10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject: Exploring a return to the trumpet Reply with quote

Hi all,

I’m 62 years old and haven’t played the trumpet or any instrument other than guitar since college. I’m thinking of picking a trumpet up again as a hobby and maybe join a community band down the road. I discovered this site in my research and think it will be a great reference.

The obvious question becomes which horn to buy. Instead of buying a beginner’s horn and moving up through several levels, I’d like to pick up a forever horn and grow into it. I’m thinking of buying a quality used horn that’s forgiving, yet one I won’t “grow out of”.

Back in the day I played a Getzen Severinsen model in concert and jazz band and had a Holton for marching band. I sat first or second chair so had some skills, although it was mostly in high school. I’m leaning towards an Olds Recording as it seems like a high quality horn and I could probably get out of it down the road without losing too much dough if I buy it right.

Am I on the right track?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably get legions of responses and they all would be right to some extent. So I'm not going to bother with that, just what I know and would recommend, personally:

Bach 190-37
Getzen Eterna Classic, the newest one
- or a classic Severinsen
Benge 3X (not UMI made Benge)
Schilke B-1

Iconoclastic, if you like some distinct styling and a great horn with its own blow, Conn Connstellation 36-B or 38-B.

How's your mouthpiece choice? Atch us a link to some good thoughts referring that. If you don't know who Jenns Lindemann is google him. I would ignore the text by forum members that follow. Not because they might not have some valid things to say, but I think Jenns says it all.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763

As an aside, great that you're starting back up. If you have a New Horizon Band program in your area, it may be a fun way to re-integrate yourself. Size of bands and quality depend on location and leadership, but I would look into ti.
https://newhorizonsmusic.org/index.php

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing! If you enjoyed playing the Getzen Severinsen Eterna back in high school, consider the Getzen 900, or the wonderful newer 907DLX and 900DLX models.

That said, at this stage --beginning again -- there is no particular reason to favor one professional model over another, perhaps with the exception of those at the extremes. So, if your heart is set on an Olds Recording, go for it.

Bach, Getzen, Schilke, Shires, Van Laar, Yamaha...all make fine horns, so there are lots of options to consider if you want to broaden your horizons.

Have fun!
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about any horn will do for community band, so I wouldn't limit myself to a particular brand. I have played about seven different horns. My recommendation is to first get a new(er) used professional level trumpet to start with. My experience with older horns that were not mine to begin, is that they tend to have some quirk that eventually leads to frustration.

The bottom line is that its your comeback, so do whatever you want that makes you happy and keeps you playing. Hope you find a great horn and your comeback goes well.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the two trumpets I have are at least 70 years old, but they're not "off the street". One was serviced by ACB and the other by Josh Landress. It's probably wise to figure in at least several hundred dollars in addition to the selling price for needed adjustments.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what Kehaulani said about joining a Horizons Band if there is one in your area. I came back to the trumpet at age 79 after a 50-year hiatus and after 6 months I was playing first chair with the local Horizons. I did this for 2 years then joined a more demanding brass and reed band and that's where I am today, 6 and a half years later.
As for horns, I own some really good ones, but the best all- around one is the Olds Recording. With it I can play any kind of music, period. And, man, what a sound I get.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Options10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update- I picked up a nice 1959 Olds Special tri-color locally. I was able to play with good tone and remember most fingerings. After reading your responses I stalked an Elkhart Bach 37 from the mid 60’s on eBay and won the auction. It should arrive next week. If I don’t sound good I’ll only have myself to blame!

The two mouthpieces I currently have are a Bach 7c and a Vox Ampliphonic. The Vox is more comfortable as it has a larger/flatter rim. The 37 will come with a 3c so I will have a third to work with.

Thanks for all of your comments.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and enjoy.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your horn. Welcome back. If you need lessons, I know a guy in the Uk that does skype lessons for really reasonable and he specializes in comeback players. I am currently using him and really enjoy my lessons with him.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are pretty much in the same boat as I was a few years ago. I hadn’t touched a horn since 1971.

I started by researching the internet Loyalist sites to bone up on the brand name trumpets; Conn, Olds, Holton, Kanstul, Kanstul French Bessons, Benge, Bach, King, Selmer, Reynolds, Yamaha, etc. It’s all out there. (You may have to dig to find the Kanstul Loyalist site.)

If you are thinking of getting a “Pro” horn, you may want to start with what kind of sound and feel you want. There are a lot of “Pro” options out there at reasonable prices if you don’t need to sound like a Bach. Vintage horns play and sound different, not better or worse, just different.

I was able to find good deals on the Ebay, Craigs List, and in my area, Estate Sales. I even got lucky on the Goodwill Auction site. (I would advise avoiding Goodwill. It’s a crap shoot.) But you will have to be able to identify a good deal when it pops up. So bone up on the Loyalist sites before going that route.

My observations are: Used Bach Strads are often overpriced (over bid on) for their condition. Same for higher end Olds (Recorder, Super, Mendez), Selmers, Benges, Reynolds Contemporas, Schilkes, real French Bessons, and Kanstul French Besson International and Meha models. You will have to be lucky to find a good deal on them.

Getzens, Kanstuls, Yamahas, Conn Constellations and Victors, and Kings are plentiful and often better deals for the condition they will be in. (The Getzen 700 is underrated IMO but avoid the SP model). Kanstuls' French Besson Classic and Stamm horns can be a steal. They are as good as any modern pro trumpet, and not many people know about them.

If you are unsure of buying off of auction or are in a hurry, you may want to stick to reliable vendors such as Trent Austin (ACB), Steve Dillard (Horn Trader), Dillons, and the like.

Here’s a photo of vintage horns that I managed to pick up; 1969 Olds Custom Crafted ($125, Craigs list); 1947 Holton Model 48, ($300, Goodwill auction), 1947 Conn 22b, ($100, Ebay); and a very nice 1948 Chicago Benge, ($1,000, Local Estate Sales). Other than lacquer wear, they are in very nice condition, no dents, no red rot, very nice valves. I would put them into the “Non-Bach, but fun to play” category.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/4_Vintage_Trumpets.jpg

I also scored a pair of very nice pair of Kanstul French Besson Classics off of Ebay, a b-flat ($499 almost new condition) and a C ($750 old stock, unused condition). They are Kanstuls’ version of Bach Strads back when he had a contract to make French Bessons. Kanstuls’ Marvin Stamm and Meha French Bessons are also winners. You can see Steve Dillert (Horn Trader) and Trent Austen (Austen Custom Brass) demo the Stamm model on Youtube (Although Steve mistakenly calls it a French Besson Classic).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Kanstul_Trumpets_b-flat_%26_C.jpg

Other horns that I got and flipped include; a Blessing ML-1 (Craigs list, too tight), two Kanstul French Besson Internationals (Craigs list and Estate sales, didn’t like either), Martin Handcrafted Standard (Ebay, bad compression). Schilke B2 (play relaxed or it gets bright, wasn’t cheap), and a very nice Besson 10-10 trombone (Goodwill).

I look for horns that don’t need much work. Stuck valves or slides can be are OK if the horn looks good otherwise. Ugly lacquer can scare away other bidders. I enjoy deep cleaning old horns, unsticking slides, and aligning valves. I took the lacquer off the Conn myself. The only work that I needed a tech for was to resolder a brace and remove a small dent on the Holton, and resolder a tuning slide and remove a couple of small dents on the Benge. I was able to make a profit on all of the horns that I flipped, largely because I got them in such good playing condition before I flipped them.

Welcome back. Good hunting.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olds Recording is one of the greatest trumpets ever made. It can definitely be your now and forever horn. They are not hard to find. You just want to be sure it's in good condition (no major repairs, everything works, good valve compression). Checking it out before you buy is best. If you can't do that then you want a return privilege. It shouldn't be hard to find a good one. Olds made well built horns.

You may already be aware of this but it bears mentioning that the Olds Recording ergonomics are quite a bit different from almost all other horns. It's a balanced design (valve cluster centered front to back in the horn instead of the usual placement back of center) and the second valve is offset to match up with the longer middle finger. It's a different feel in your hands compared to almost any other horn. You want to be sure that works for you. The third valve slide trigger is great.

Another Olds to consider is the Mendez. The ergonomics are typical in terms of the placement of the valve cluster and the lineup of the valves but it has both a first valve slide trigger and a third valve slide trigger which is a very unusual combination. The Mendez is a great horn. They are also very available.

Some posters talk about having to put more money into a used horn for a valve job or some other repair as though that's normal and should be expected. I've purchased over 50 used horns and never once did any of them need any repair to play great. I have a Super Recording, Recording, Super, Mendez and Opera in my collection and the Olds valves are as good as valves get. They were made to last.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: