• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Copper trumpet / cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldlipguitarplayer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Copper trumpet / cornet Reply with quote

I happened upon a trumpet, although it looks more like a cornet on reverb. The listing: "Conn Elkhart, IN Coprion Copper Trumpet with Case". I never heard of a copper trumpet. How do they sound? Any big difference? Anyone? Copper? Brass? Difference? Thanks
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Copper trumpet / cornet Reply with quote

oldlipguitarplayer wrote:
... How do they sound? Any big difference? Anyone? Copper? Brass? Difference? ...
I've been playing horns with copper bells (and lead pipes) for years. Copper is denser compared to brass. The effect is a mellower (more dense) sound, which is why copper bells are often preferred over brass on flugelhorns and cornets (especially flugelhorns).

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Schilke C trumpet has a lightweight copper bell.
My Schilke Bb has a yellow brass bell.

It's much easier for be to color my sound on the copper bell horn.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject: Copper bell Reply with quote

It sounds like the ad you refer to is for a Conn Coprion model which Conn made a long model of that closely resembles a trumpet. Good horns and they seem to be a good value on the used market as well.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, I played a copper Callichio trumpet at The Horn Guys in LA. It was a lovely horn with a rich, warm sound! I recall it was slightly heavier than I expected.

My Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn has a copper bell. In addition to getting attention for its looks, I think it sounds great. One thing though: it dents very easily. Things you usually take for granted, like placing it in a case or setting it down on a stand, need to be done with more care.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
Years ago, I played a copper Callichio trumpet at The Horn Guys in LA. It was a lovely horn with a rich, warm sound! I recall it was slightly heavier than I expected.

My Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn has a copper bell. In addition to getting attention for its looks, I think it sounds great. One thing though: it dents very easily. Things you usually take for granted, like placing it in a case or setting it down on a stand, need to be done with more care.

I also played that very Calicchio, Matt! It was lovely. Such a rare thing.

Your 1525 might be an early build. I understand they got less dent prone after a bit. My Wild Thing flugelhorn isn't much different compared to the brass version I owned, in terms of fragility. Oh, how do you like the way your 1525 plays with the French taper mouthpiece? much better than the stock Small Morse, IMO.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s this one https://reverb.com/item/39553151-conn-elkhart-in-coprion-copper-trumpet-with-case , it’s a Conn 12A cornet with a Coprion bell. Coprion was Conn’s method of forming a seamless copper bell by plating copper over a mandrel to a thickness that would serve as a bell. Those are really nice-playing cornets with a beautiful sound.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't like the leadpipe.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Don't like the leadpipe.

Yes, looks like it was badly bent or broken at some time and repaired with a sleeve.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Don't like the leadpipe.

+1

It looks like that ferrule on the leadpipe right before the first valve is a repair. It likely needs a replacement leadpipe (I'm not sure how easy it would be to get one for a Conn 12A).

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:

Your 1525 ... Oh, how do you like the way your 1525 plays with the French taper mouthpiece? much better than the stock Small Morse, IMO.
It is indeed better. My strobe tuner proved it is closer to the 'correct' pitch up and down with the French (non)taper. Doing that test is hard because you have to just let the note flow without unconscious correction.

Charles Hargett got me one when he was still at Kanstul. On his advice, I bought a spare because apparently the French taper lead pipe is thinner, but I've had no trouble with mine for many years now. Thanks again for your advice! And sorry for the hijack of the thread.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electro-formed copper (like the Coprion bell) has a smaller grain structure than rolled sheet copper, which means it's harder. I owned a trumpet with an electro-formed bell that was trimmed to final diameter without a bead, like a Conn Vocabell. I currently own a cornet with the same sort of bell. My personal observation is that both horns handle being put on a stand with no problems.

The trumpet was my all-round player for years and worked fine in every setting I found myself in, including big band lead. The cornet is dark and diffuse. I don't think you can predict how an instrument will sound based solely on the bell material.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that with copper bells in particular you gain richness and lose a little focus. I have a copper bell on my bass trumpet one on my C trumpet. I think they add flexibility to how the horns can be played. On the bass trumpet is gives me a lot of responsibility for hearing clearly and getting the notes in tune but also allows the flexibility to do so, a good be more than on a brass belled bass trumpet I played previously to the one I have now. Of course a lot of other factors may be coming into play, so I cannot ascribe everything to the copper bell.

Bells with high copper content such as red brass can accomplish some of the same thing. My flugelhorn has one of those and I love the sound.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of copper bells, this .485” bore Conn 9A Victor is a cannon. Beautiful tone, and can be played very loudly with no distortion. The cornet is heavy and solidly braced, and has a Coprion bell and leadpipe.

oldlipguitarplayer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Don't like the leadpipe"

Can you be more specific? Are you responding to the
cornet I looked at on reverb?
https://reverb.com/item/54734599-1941-conn-coprion-cornet-model-12a

I looked at the photos, could not find any issue, but I'm not at all
experienced in this area. I'm trying to proceed carefully so I don't
end up with a junker.

Any help? thanks
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldlipguitarplayer wrote:
"Don't like the leadpipe"

Can you be more specific? Are you responding to the
cornet I looked at on reverb?
https://reverb.com/item/54734599-1941-conn-coprion-cornet-model-12a

I looked at the photos, could not find any issue, but I'm not at all
experienced in this area. I'm trying to proceed carefully so I don't
end up with a junker.

Any help? thanks

That one looks fine. There’s another one currently on Reverb with a patch on the leadpipe.
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Dale's Conn 9A Victor Cornet Reply with quote

Dale’s Conn 9A Victor is one beautiful cornet, and indeed has a beautiful tone. Several years ago, I was privileged to meet Dale and play a few of his horns. This cornet out plays the Conn 12A hands down, for we play tested it against mine. Don’t get me wrong, the Conn 12A cornet is a nice playing/sounding horn, just not up to par with the 9A Victor. I still have the sound of that cornet stuck in my head Dale. If I remember correctly, this cornet had won the lion’s share of your cornet playing at that time. Is it still leading the pack, or has it lost a notch on the cornet ladder?

Enjoy the music of this Christmas Season,

-1957Tim
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dale's Conn 9A Victor Cornet Reply with quote

1957Tim wrote:
Dale’s Conn 9A Victor is one beautiful cornet, and indeed has a beautiful tone. Several years ago, I was privileged to meet Dale and play a few of his horns. This cornet out plays the Conn 12A hands down, for we play tested it against mine. Don’t get me wrong, the Conn 12A cornet is a nice playing/sounding horn, just not up to par with the 9A Victor. I still have the sound of that cornet stuck in my head Dale. If I remember correctly, this cornet had won the lion’s share of your cornet playing at that time. Is it still leading the pack, or has it lost a notch on the cornet ladder?

Enjoy the music of this Christmas Season,

-1957Tim

Hi Tim! Man, I still remember your Conn 12A, too, an impressive cornet for sure. The parking garage was a great place to try out each other’s load of instruments…

I’m in the middle of rehearsals for some serious Christmas performances, and they require a trumpet, so the cornets have taken a back seat for the past couple months. My Conn 9A and Bach 184G are pretty much equal in my eyes, but different. Which one I choose really depends on the music I’m playing.
1957Tim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Dale's Conn 9A Victor Cornet Reply with quote

I picked this Conn 12A up from Ken, an elderly gentleman whose father purchased it for him new in 1952. Due to his wife failing health, they were selling everything they didn’t absolutely need so they could move into a small place. He told me that he sent the cornet back to Conn in 2000 and told them he wanted it to look like it did when his father gave it to him new in 1952. They removed the dings and refinished the horn, so it looked like new when he sold it to me. The valves were worn to the point of it not being totally reliable when playing, so I sent it in to Anderson Plating Company, and they worked their magic on the valves. I don’t play the horn a lot, so the valves are barely broke in, however, it is a fun horn to play. Ken owned this horn for around 65 years, so I wrote down his story and told him this would always be Ken’s horn, and if I ever sold it his story would go with it.

I’ve been playing in a Salvation Army Brass Band for some time now, so it’s a rare thing for me to do anything with my trumpet. I do play flugelhorn on a weekly basis in another venue, but we know that playing situations can change overnight, so my trumpet stays close-by.

What year is your Conn 9A? It looks so nice, was it in this condition when you acquired it, or did you have it reconditioned? I’m sure you have a bit more time to devote to your music and motorcycle hobbies now. Enjoy each day my friend, and may your playing bring honor to our creator.

-1957Tim
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 9A was in almost-new condition when I bought it. I can’t tell if it’s been relacquered somewhere along the way, but if it has, it was a long time ago (the copper has turned darker) and by a real professional. Valves are in super condition, too. The serial # places it as a 1962 model. Thank you for the kind words, and props to you for playing with the SA band.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: