• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Finding The Right 3C Mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JazzyJP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Finding The Right 3C Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Short back story: I played trumpet from 2006-2016 with a break from then until now for the most part (no gigs or everyday practice). I played on a Bach Megatone 3C throughout high school and college on a B&S Challenger. It was my go to for classical, pit, pep, marching, jazz soloing and even lead (my range was to high Eb so nothing special). Back then I didn’t know of switching mouthpieces. I was very successful in my playing, comfortable, and didn’t think to ever explore.

Fast forward to now, and it’s still the most comfortable piece to my lips. Near perfect diameter, bite, overall feel to my lips. (Note: I very lightly took the *least* abrasive steel wool and lightly brushed it to take the shininess away. I’m finding that the sound is more dull than I remember. The backbore and throat combination doesn’t feel right. I have a brand new Bach Strad 37 on the way, so I’ll need to do some testing when I get my horn, but here are the pieces I’ve tested:

*** Bach 3C (standard ‘22)

As I expected, a nice all around piece. Nice full sound, works well across all registers. Feels diameter wise smaller than the Megatone 3C. I bought the megatone in 2009 so I’m not sure if that makes a difference. I’ve heard stories but no comparison. I thought about trying a new MT 3C but afraid of the same dull sound. Overall, the Bach 3C is great. I think I could use a slightly larger diameter with the shape of the rim. I guess this is the problem with mouthpieces. Hard to really gain this through purely numbers unfortunately.

*** Curry 3C

I really like this piece. Has more bite than I’m used to, slightly larger diameter to my lips, but a nice full sound without the dullness. I might even prefer something darker (primary focus has always been jazz. Soloist more so than lead) so maybe even a deeper curry and using this or a slightly shallower piece when needed. I’ve heard Curry rims are near perfect across a line, an example being a 3B and a 3Z. I don’t have a second one to compare, but if that’s the case, that’s a huge win. With the bite it has, I wonder if there’s a slightly smaller size with a rim that isn’t less or more rounded. Clean attacks with a little zing when you need it. I think the best piece I’ve tried so far. Sound is excellent. Rim is great, diameter (probably from bite) not so great.

*** Bach Artisan 3C

Feels like a 3C with a Schilke rim oddly. With the BB and throat combo, I just don’t think it’s a good match. Feels like I’m working harder for less of a sound than the standard 3C. Less bite than the 3C and not as clean.

*** Dennis Wick 4

Not a fan at all. The rim feels way off, there’s bite but it feels deeper in the cup if that makes sense? Like it slants down. Didn’t find the sound nice either. Heard great things but not my cup of tea.

*** Yamaha 14B4-GP

Not a fan of this piece. Feels similar to a standard Bach 3C, but less room and more stuffy. To my lips it’s comfortable, but the sound is quite thin for my liking. Feels like there’s slightly less bite so maybe my lips sink in a bit too much.

*** Marcinkiewicz 302

I don’t do well with these pieces. I think it’s the alpha angle. The diameter feels slightly larger than the Curry 3 rim, but with the shape of the cup it just sounds thin, even though it’s a relatively deep cup. I tried the Shew #2 back in 2016 but if I was the slightest bit tired I just couldn’t get notes out well at all. I can’t find support with this piece so it doesn’t work.

*** Blessing 3C

Doesn’t feel at all like a 3C to me. Quite large, sharp. Does produce a nice full sound. Not a good fit for me. Felt way larger in diameter to a standard Bach 3C.

*** Yamaha Shew Jazz

Feels smaller than the Bach 3C but a bit more rounded. All around decent mouthpiece, but kills my endurance. Possibly the rounded rim. Too small and narrow feeling for me.

I’ve tested others over the years like the Schilke 15A4 and 13C4, Hammond 5ml and 5mv, Marcinkiewicz Bobby Shew #2, Bach 5C and 7C, but with no luck.

Luckily I’ve been able to test without investing in all of these. I’d be willing to invest in a mouthpiece. I know many can help with fits and what not, places to test a bunch of mouthpieces. Two brands I haven’t tried that I’ve been eyeing are GR and Monette. More so GR. It’s not about the most expensive mouthpiece to me but the best feel and sound qualities. I’ve heard GR has a great team and pieces as well!

Curry feels the best so far. A tad big (perhaps I could just adjust over time) and more sharp than I’m used to (I don’t see this as a con), but quite nice. An upgrade for my lips as far as sound, but maybe there’s something closer in feel, whether it be a different sized Curry or not.

I’m looking for any insights or questions you may have. I’d love to discuss what might work for me but also answer any questions about what I have played that could work for you!
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding The Right 3C Mouthpiece Reply with quote

JazzyJP wrote:

*** Curry 3C
I really like this piece. Has more bite than I’m used to, slightly larger diameter to my lips, but a nice full sound without the dullness. I might even prefer something darker (primary focus has always been jazz. Soloist more so than lead) so maybe even a deeper curry and using this or a slightly shallower piece when needed.

Did you try a Curry 3C. or 3C (no dot). The older no-dot was a little bigger than a modern Bach. The dot version (current version) is smaller and closer to Bach 3C. You may want to try a Curry 3BC. if you want a hair more depth. I'm a fan.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat that I like sound of many 3Cs but most feel a bit too big. This includes some you mention including the Curry with or without the dot. The 3C rim I use feels very much to my like a Yamaha 14B4. FWIW I prefer the 14B4 quite a bit over the Yamaha Shew Jazz. And I never got along with either the MegaTone or the heavy Yamaha GP pieces.

If you go down in size from the Bach 3C it's kind of tricky because the next popular model 5C feels very different with a lot more bite. I've had some success with Bach 6-size pieces. Trent Austin makes a 5-sized piece that isn't too far from a smaller 3C. The Schilke Symphony 3M feels like a smallish 3C.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JazzyJP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeirvine I tested the Curry 3C dot variant of the mouthpiece, so I suppose the most current. Perhaps it feels slightly bigger because of the rim contour.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players have reported some size variation in older Bach mouthpieces. Why don't you spend $40 dollars (a good deal) and have your old Bach mouthpiece scanned.

https://www.vennture.mp/product/mouthpiece-scan/

You can then download the VenCad software and compare it to other mouthpieces.

Maybe you don't have a Bach MT 3C after all but a nice MT 1 1/2C.
JazzyJP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I'm in the same boat that I like sound of many 3Cs but most feel a bit too big. This includes some you mention including the Curry with or without the dot. The 3C rim I use feels very much to my like a Yamaha 14B4. FWIW I prefer the 14B4 quite a bit over the Yamaha Shew Jazz. And I never got along with either the MegaTone or the heavy Yamaha GP pieces.

If you go down in size from the Bach 3C it's kind of tricky because the next popular model 5C feels very different with a lot more bite. I've had some success with Bach 6-size pieces. Trent Austin makes a 5-sized piece that isn't too far from a smaller 3C. The Schilke Symphony 3M feels like a smallish 3C.

I’ve heard great things about TA. I’ll have to check him out. I’ve never been suggested another Bach piece really. How small the the 6 range? I agree the 5C is horrific. I know Bach doesn’t label properly so not sure where those sit in.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to ACB, the TA-1 CS I have is the closest to a Mt. Vernon Bach 5C that they make. Maybe that'll help. Slightly smaller than a 3 and has a comfortable rim. Nice MOR sound.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
JazzyJP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
have your old Bach mouthpiece scanned.

You know, I was actually thinking about this before I posted. I’m really not opposed to having it scanned. I’m sure there’s someone who can scan it, possibly copy the rim, and make a different under part. Just seems like so much with so many parts. Wonder if I could send it in to one of these guys so they can assist me with something similar they make. That way down the line if I need another I know it’ll be the same or so.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzyJP wrote:
I’ve never been suggested another Bach piece really. How small the 6 range?

I don't know the measurements but then again I really don't rely too much on measurements. I really believe that the rim shape is sometimes more important than the reported size. And the Bach 6 feels pretty similar to me.

I generally like the Bach 3C rim shape and think the Yamaha "4" rim feels pretty similar. So much so that I can easily switch between my vintage Bach 3C to the Yamaha 14F4 for flugel to the Yamaha 11B4 on the picc.

I can play a 7C or a 5C but not for long. Too much bite.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My quest for a Bach 3C diameter with less bite led me to the Reeves 43W rim, which I played for decades. Then the pandemic thing happened, all my playing opportunities evaporated, and over the course of two years musical despair led to my not touching the horn for months at a time.

And then I suddenly had opportunities to play again, and what worked before didn't.

I downsized to Curry 600-series 60 models -- Bach 5C-ish diameter, but a more comfortable rim. The difference between the M and C cups seemed a bit extreme (the M is a lot shallower than the C, the S only a tiny bit shallower than the M), so I did eventually get a 5Z, with Curry's version of a Bach 5 rim. The 5Z does have more bite than the 600-series 60s, but it's not tearing my chops up with fairly regular use (then again, I haven't played a Bach 5C in around 40 years so I don't have any idea how it compares).

I will note that Curry doesn't have a 600-series diameter that he directly compares to the Bach 3C. He equates the 60 rim to a Bach 5 and the 70 rim to a Bach 1.5.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve tried many 3C’s and the one I like best is the Sandoval-based model by Mark Curry available from Steve Dillard on https://www.horntrader.com/product/horntrader-custom-classical-ht-3c-28/

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried most if not all of the 3Cs that you have listed. The Shew Jazz was my main piece for about 2 years then I tried the GR66MS. I currently use that piece for everything. Its everything advertised in my opinion. If you want something a little bigger you could go with the 66M. I would recommend keeping on the lookout for one in the marketplace. Even if you try it and don't like it, you will be able to get rid of it for what you paid.

I played a 3C in high school. The issue with Bach is the depending on when you bought one the sizes are different. The rims on the different sizes are also all different as Chieden mentioned in his post.

As with all internet mouthpiece recommendations, your mileage may vary.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I was just going to suggest GR 65 or 66 series. VERY nice pieces with a good presence and focus and a comfortable rim. I switched from Monette to GR (before I went to AR) and found the GR pieces a much better match for me than the Big M pieces.

The cup descriptions on the GR site are pretty accurate to me. Liked the SZ cup for lead/outdoors/pop playing and the MS for more all around. The FD cup is awesome but hard to keep intonation under control if I play it for a long gig or up higher.

Notice I still play a GR 65 FL on flugel and really like it - has more core and presence than other pieces like the deep Wick pieces but for big band and rock/pop flugel that’s a good thing 😊.

EDIT: wonder why no one suggested Warburton. Their 5 series (for my feel) is very close to my current AR pieces and I really like them, too. A little more “commercial” than the more “elegant” and generally warmer sounding AR pieces but I guess that is a matter of taste.

If you like a slightly sharper inner rim, try the Lotus 3 series. Very open and lots of “pop” but I didn’t like the rim in the end.

EDIT 2: Jim, just noticed you’re over 10k posts now
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
JazzyJP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I generally like the Bach 3C rim shape and think the Yamaha "4" rim feels pretty similar. So much so that I can easily switch between my vintage Bach 3C to the Yamaha 14F4 for flugel to the Yamaha 11B4 on the picc.

I can play a 7C or a 5C but not for long. Too much bite.

I agree with the rim feeling similar. I expected to dislike it purely based on the Bobby Shew piece. Perhaps I’ll test out a deeper Yamaha model in the 14 range. The size and feel is very close. Biggest difference to me is that the Yamaha doesn’t feel as open. Rims being similar across multiple pieces is important to me. Do you have any experience with the 14D4 or 14E4 on trumpet?
JazzyJP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Ha, I was just going to suggest GR 65 or 66 series. VERY nice pieces with a good presence and focus and a comfortable rim. I switched from Monette to GR (before I went to AR) and found the GR pieces a much better match for me than the Big M pieces.

I’d love to be able to try some. Most stay in a similar range, but I’ve seen a few different sizes of GRs recommended for 3C players. Which is nice because peoples lips are different and have different needs but I’m not exactly sure where I fit in. Many report the Bach 3C being around 16.89mm. The Curry 3C is also measured there but I’m wondering if the bite or alpha angle is causing it to feel just a hair large.

I definitely don’t like a sharp bite, but some consider the 3C to be on the sharp side. For me it’s just about perfect. I don’t notice any bite, very comfortable. How does the rim of the GR compare to one’s you’ve tried?

Also what made you switch to AR?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played an old Bach 3C for many years, but was never completely happy with my sound on it. About 4 years ago, I bought a Curry 3C. and immediately loved it. Better sound, and the more comfortable rim greatly helped my endurance. For a little more mellow sound, I later bought a Curry 3B., which is basically his 3C. mouthpiece with a slightly deeper cup and 26 throat. It’s also a keeper
JazzyJP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I played an old Bach 3C for many years, but was never completely happy with my sound on it. About 4 years ago, I bought a Curry 3C. and immediately loved it. Better sound, and the more comfortable rim greatly helped my endurance. For a little more mellow sound, I later bought a Curry 3B., which is basically his 3C. mouthpiece with a slightly deeper cup and 26 throat. It’s also a keeper

I do love the Curry 3C. Out of all the mouthpieces I’ve tested, it’s my favorite so far. Has more depth to it. I like that the rims stay the same as well. I was looking into the B cups. I’ve heard extremely great things about the BC cup. Have you had the opportunity to play one of those?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Curry, the TC cup may be interesting. Although I don’t play mine often, I do keep a 7TC in the pouch in case the strings complain or if I play with a small group. I used to have a short-lived gig with piano, guitar, and flute and it worked well for that. Easier to play than the GR FD cup but gets the same type of effect, just not as drastic.

On my rotary that flugel sound is almost there with the TC. However, if you push it you’ll get quite some presence and I did for a while play first trumpet in our community orchestra with it. As the repertoire got more challenging and I keep getting the higher parts I switched to AR but you can in principle do it. The TC is much more versatile than one may think.

The Curry M cup was too shallow for me and I sold that one again.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’m looking for any insights or questions you may have. I’d love to discuss what might work for me

You might consider reaching out to a mouthpiece maker -- Pickett/Blackburn, Hammond, Reeves, Stork, etc. -- to get their advice, or even visiting one of them for s mouthpiece fitting. There might be travel costs for you, but when you consider the cost of continued purchases to find the "right" mouthpiece it might save you (a lot) of money. Good luck!
Mauri

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with the modern Bach 3C, a great mouthpiece. Today there are many mouthpiece manufacturers, but the results are poor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: