• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"All-rounders" Pro Trumpets

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Having said that, you might want to do a couple of experiments with your present trumpet.

1. For slotting, do the Reeves Brass Paper Trick

https://bobreeves.com/blog/tag/gap/

If this makes a postitive difference you can resolve the problem by ordering a mouthpiece or backbore that will give your more "gap" or have a mouthpiece converted to "Reeves Sleeves". There are also different backbore choices that can help in slotting.

2. Buy a bottle of Denis Wick valve oil with PTFE
First clean your valves and valve casings with Simple Green, then rubbing alcohol to get rid of any of your present oil.
Some older Yamaha trumpets used "Yamalloy" instead of monel for their valves. This alloy reacted poorly with the body chemistry of some players.

I think that this is a Yamalloy trumpet based on the archives. But the valve are good ... just not as good as my son's trumpet nor the horns I've tested. I suspect that this is not a body chemistry problem. Likewise, I would describe the third slide as functional rather than silky smooth.

Another valve oil! I've tried Hetmans 1 and 2 (but not 3), Monster, Al Cass and at least another synthetic which escapes my memory at the moment. I've been using Hetmans 2 But I'll give it a whirl. The tech at a local shop uses Al Cass to clean valves and then applies the appropriate Hetman. Just for clarity, I've tried a few slide oils on the 1st and 3rd slides as well. The best so far is also a Hetman's slide oil.

That mouthpiece gap article is pretty interesting. It reminds me of how much I don't know.

I've been on a little mouthpiece safari for a while. At the moment, I've been playing with a Bach Artisan 1 1/2 C, Bach Artisan 3 C, and Yamaha 14b4. (My instructor also gave me a Yamaha artist mouthpiece whose name escapes me ... a classical European player whose mouthpiece was ~ 17 mm wide and V-shaped). It's pretty amazing how much one's sound can change with the mouthpiece. Especially when comparing the scanned images of mouthpieces at https://trumpet.cloud/mpc. When I squint at a 27" screen with the images enlarged, you can see some differences. But if you think the inner rim width of the 1 1/2C is ~17 mm, the physical differences seem subtle on an absolute scale.

In a direct message, a gentleman suggested finding that right horn and then changing the sound with the mouthpiece. I'd say it's similar in spirit to another post here where the gentleman has gone through a lifetime of horns but has decided to stick with one now.[/url]
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakejw wrote:
My recommendation to come-back players looking for a horn upgrade: get the horn that excites you and makes you want to play trumpet more. Of course you could get by with the horn you have, but there's more to it than just getting by.

I like to take pictures...I have several cameras and lenses that probably (definitely) are overkill for the use case, but it serves the purpose of furthering the hobby and bringing some enjoyment to the experience. And I'm that much more likely to spend an afternoon walking around being creative, instead of scrolling on my phone at home. Hobbies are meant to be enjoyed!

Thanks! I understand the sentiment. I have a lot of bicycles. The old saying is that the optimal number of bicycles is n + 1 where n is the number of bicycles you own now. Although as I've gotten older, I've definitely decided that there are too many and have been paring them down.
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to Chuck Leven's check out the Scodwell line of trumpets.

Great Horn!
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a couple horns from Chuck Levin's and can say they are great to work with. I think going there is a no brainer. The great thing about Chuck Levin's is they supply the military bands and can sell for much less than other stores.

I'd try:
Bach 180 37 ML
Bach 190 37 ML (anniversary model that is more like the early Elkhart horns)
Yamaha Xeno 8335 and 8335R both ML, the "R" is for reversed lead pipe.

You say you play in a community orchestra and the Bach/Yamaha sound will fit in that type of ensemble while being plenty flexible to work anywhere else.
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you DickieG64 and BudBix.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "All-rounders" Pro Trumpets Reply with quote

invisiblehand wrote:
To both of you, the archives suggest that the 907 is the all-rounder versus the 900. You two agree?

There's a thread for that: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149756

My opinion is in the penultimate post of that thread.

Gary.
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: "All-rounders" Pro Trumpets Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
invisiblehand wrote:
To both of you, the archives suggest that the 907 is the all-rounder versus the 900. You two agree?

There's a thread for that: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149756

My opinion is in the penultimate post of that thread.

Gary.

Very good. Thank you for the pointer.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During your search, if you run across a nice used Kanstul-made Besson Meha or Brevete trumpet from the 1980s, be sure to try it out. They are terrific professional-level trumpets.
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
During your search, if you run across a nice used Kanstul-made Besson Meha or Brevete trumpet from the 1980s, be sure to try it out. They are terrific professional-level trumpets.

Will do. Thanks!
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: upgrade? Reply with quote

Both the new Getzen Eternas are nice and the 907 Proteus is truly an all arounder with a good sound and you can get one new for maybe $2400?
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: upgrade? Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
Both the new Getzen Eternas are nice and the 907 Proteus is truly an all arounder with a good sound and you can get one new for maybe $2400?

Sadly, from what I gather, Chuck Levin's doesn't have them ... they have a Getzen 30xx in stock. Foxes has Yamahas, Bach 37, and a B&S horn. A chain here will order one for you but nothing to test.
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW ... I saw Lee at Chuck Levin's. It was a great experience. Will write more soon.
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to two music stores. Foxes in Falls Church and Chuck Levin's in Silver Spring. Foxes had a Bach 37 and Yamaha Xenos while Chuck Levin's had a ton of stuff. Foxes will let you test an instrument for a long time and even take one home. (I did not) Lee at Chuck Levin's is super knowledgable and responsive. For the record, the best horns I tried were a Getzen 3001, Schilke S33HD, and a Scodwell. I thought that all three had a more centered and fuller sound and were fundamentally easier to play.

In the end, I thought about a few things Lee asked and said. And I concluded that I'm still developing in a few important ways such that waiting is probably the better move.
Heinz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I tried a YTR8335G, a 180-37, a Challenger 3137/2 and 3143/2. The Xeno sounded almost the same as my YTR5335GII. And that trumpet is almost 1,5k cheaper...

I liked the Bach and the 3137/2, but I chose the 3143/2 soundwise. Nice, open and bright, but a little warmer than the Bach and brighter than the 3137/2. Really nice horn.
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heinz wrote:
Yesterday I tried a YTR8335G, a 180-37, a Challenger 3137/2 and 3143/2. The Xeno sounded almost the same as my YTR5335GII. And that trumpet is almost 1,5k cheaper...

I liked the Bach and the 3137/2, but I chose the 3143/2 soundwise. Nice, open and bright, but a little warmer than the Bach and brighter than the 3137/2. Really nice horn.

I followed that thread. Congratulations! I haven't played the intermediate Yamaha, but I thought that that the slotting and intonation on the Yamaha was excellent. I like the 43 bell more than the 37 too; although I only played the Bach horns.

I felt that my answers to questions about me and my playing weren't very good. That led me to think that my horn remains serviceable while I work my development.
nfan49

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: All round horn Reply with quote

Carol brass a great horn for the money, 1600- 1800 new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: