• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is the difference worth 2500 bucks?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleming

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Makes sense Reply with quote

Your c trumpet plan makes sense to me.
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
Dol you need a C trumpet? I’d much rather have good B trumpet than a C trumpet I’d hardly use.

Well, when I think about it, there are or were 2 reasons to get a decent C. The first reason was that the Bb horns I’ve had were never in tune when I played hymns or solos transposed to keys other than C, F, or G. That is not an issue now. But the second reason is implied in the first reason: that most of my playing is in church where oftentimes it is easier to play a C horn—generally hymns or songs in keys like E or A where adding 2 sharps to the key sig is a little harder. But I suppose practice would remedy that.

Nevertheless, if pros get horns in different keys to make playing certain pieces easier, why not us church pedestrians? 😎😇 That said, it is a fair question. If I were to play a C, I wouldn’t want to fight it. If Bach C horns are anything like the B flats, then I wouldn’t have to. And now that I have experienced horns that are fun to play, my fake Bach C just doesn’t cut it. So I’m open to getting a good non-Bach trumpet if one is available at a good price. But that Bach sound…🤔😊
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. C trumpet it should be then. I have a C and I’ve never played outside the house.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not get a C pTrumpet for pocket change, and see how a C Trumpet works for you? Maybe the tones of the pTrumpet and a regular trumpet might not be that significant.

Allison Balsom on pTrumpet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLAHSgZaMU0

John Holand:
https://www.wwbw.com/pTrumpet-Plastic-Trumpet-20-L57977-L57977000002000.wwbw?rNtt=pTrumpet&index=1______

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Why not get a C pTrumpet for pocket change, and see how a C Trumpet works for you? Maybe the tones of the pTrumpet and a regular trumpet might not be that significant.

I had a Tromba C trumpet. That was always flat and the only way to get it sort of in tune was to mutilate a plastic mouthpiece I liked for the cold—but it was a struggle. I donated it.

Maybe a pTrumpet might be different. Hmm…
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questions like this one of this thread I have seen quite often and I have to admit that I don’t really can grasp them. What does the OP think? That he is smarter than eveybody else like the little boy out of ‘The Emperor’s Clothes’ who shouted: “but the Emperor is naked”.

So the sole answer can only be: yes, but possibly not for you.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Questions like this one of this thread I have seen quite often and I have to admit that I don’t really can grasp them. What does the OP think? That he is smarter than eveybody else like the little boy out of ‘The Emperor’s Clothes’ who shouted: “but the Emperor is naked”.

Thats quite rude. If you actually read his post then you'd realize he was asking primarily for himself, not 'in general'.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Questions like this one of this thread I have seen quite often and I have to admit that I don’t really can grasp them.

I’m tempted to say: ‘If you can’t grasp the question, then why are you answering it?’ But I won’t say it.

delano wrote:
What does the OP think? That he is smarter than eveybody else like the little boy out of ‘The Emperor’s Clothes’ who shouted: “but the Emperor is naked”.

As I recall the story, the emperor was, in fact, naked. So I guess you’re right about my piercing perspicuity and astonishing acumen.

But seriously, my original question given the context I provided was interpreted by everyone else as the honest struggle of a fellow trumpet player, and nobody else but you saw it differently. I even said at the beginning that this forum is a place where everybody would understand what I was writing. So I guess you proved me wrong.

delano wrote:

I’m tempted to say, ‘I knew you would eventually make a meaningful statement’, but I won’t yield to the temptation.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is the difference worth 2500 bucks? Reply with quote

thecoast wrote:
Hello, folks.

So there are two aspects to this question: (1) Are the differences in sound and, to a lesser extent the aesthetics, worth 2500 bucks (2) to me?

You had indeed a lot of context but this was the main body of your question.
Part one is certainly a general question and has nothing to do with a personal struggle, so my comment seems to be to the point.
Part two is a very reasonable question but unfortunately nobody but you and yourself can answer that.

For me ‘grasping’ your question number 1 I can only pity you that you are not able to understand the real meaning of your thinking.
And if you are for the third or fourth time ‘tempting’ to make some or another remark: you’re welcome.

BTW if your question should not be separated in 1 and 2 it should fit completely in the context but could still not be answered by anybody but you.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow is this going off the rails

Simple answer to both 1 & 2: Life is short. If you can afford it and you enjoy it, anything is then "worth it".

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
thecoast
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:57 am    Post subject: What I Decided to Do and Why Reply with quote

Well, I ended up keeping the Omega and am sending back the Strad today. I tried to sell the Omega, but it didn’t sell and I needed to make a decision before my 30-day return window closed. Then I had to make 1200+ bucks worth of repairs on my 2012 Accord. That definitely influenced my decision to return the Strad. But I feel disappointed. Sad to return it. It really is a beautiful horn. And I hate to put Quinn through the inconvenience of taking back the horn.

I also ended up buying a Getzen Capri C trumpet for a little over $900 and am excited about that. I’ve read good things about it here on TH.

Jim’s repair shop in San Dimas, CA fixed the Omega’s leak, so it is playing just beautifully without the drip annoying me. And I followed the advice in this thread to give myself time to get used to the Strad. The more I played them side by side, the less differences in sound. To me, they now sound identical.

I’ve started practicing with a comeback player—as in coming back after 40 years. I sold him my YTR-6320S he’s really happy with and his sound is getting good. The Omega does just fine along side his Yammy.

Mixed feelings notwithstanding, I don’t think I’ll need another horn (assuming I like the Getzen), and I’ll just enjoy the Omega. May even invest in removing the dents.

Thanks for a place to explatterate and think it through.
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you made the right decision

Enjoy
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cs are fun to play and you will learn from it. For me, it taught me that I should also work on my transposition I am a "play in church a couple of times a year" guy and in the end I found that I play better on Bb because I play it more. I do think a C is a great way to also work on transposition in both directions and to develop a better ear. I hope it's a great instrument for you.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are driven by a desire to bring our best out of ourselves. That's why even the best players I've ever met still look for improvement in their equipment. It sounds like music is the most important aspect of your question, though pride of ownership is definitely a factor, too.

Maybe it's time for a trumpet safari! You know, a trip to somewhere you've never gone before. Somewhere a little exotic, meaning different than what you're used to. If nothing else, it will show you the value of your Omega. On the other hand, it will expand your level of experience and help you to grow as a player, if you take time to improve along the way. You might find out that the Bach mold isn't as good a fit as you once thought, or you may come to the point where you click your heels together and chant, "There's no place like home..."

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Maybe it's time for a trumpet safari! You know, a trip to somewhere you've never gone before. Somewhere a little exotic, meaning different than what you're used to
Echoing this sentiment, I held off as long as I could- but a really sweet LA Benge crossed my path.
Much different than my Schilke but oh so sweet!! Gonna have alot of fun with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: