• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Love My "New" Getzen!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Love My "New" Getzen! Reply with quote

Just got a 1970 Getzen Doc Severinsen (#SK11055)...and it is amazing!

I'd been waiting half a year for my ShiresCVLA-L (still no word) so I decided I needed a Plan B for Christmas.

Wow! What an awesome horn!

I have a naturally dark tone and use a legit mouthpiece (GR 3MX) so I needed a horn to add some "lightness" to my flugelhorn sound.

The Sev seems to be the answer for now. (I also have a Calicchio 1s2 en route so that should be fun!).

While I prefer the light weight and response of the Schilke B3B, the sound of the Getzen is what I was looking for.

I can't believe this 'cheap' 50-year-old horn is the best I've tried.

BTW, I was told this horn was used by a Police Officer from CA at Ground Zero to play Taps at the 1st Anniversary of 9/11 at the World Trade Center, so it has some history as well. He really babied this horn. It is in EXCELLENT condition!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are fun horns. Enjoy!
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do some experimentation the Edwards branch of Getzen offers precision valve guides of three different materials.

https://store.edwards-instruments.com/product/valve-guides

or a complete "tune up" kit with new springs and pads

https://store.edwards-instruments.com/product/piston-performance-pack

Enjoy - it's a nice trumpet.
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys!

I will keep it in mind for the future, but for now this horn seems like it’s in perfect condition…no tune-up necessary!

And, even at 52 years old, it has the best…valves…ever.

Last edited by Kennyg2019 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Severinsen in a big band with a former NTSU One O'clock lead player, as well as having played lead with Woody Herman and Stan Kenton prior to my playing with him, and he had a Severinsen too. Great horn.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amado keys or traditional?

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who the question's for so . . I had traditional keys and Larry had Amado keys. Bought mine in probably '64 or '65, Larry just a few years later. Mine also came with two tuning slides. (And a very uncomfortable mouthpiece. I played a Purviance and Larry a Giardinelli.)

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Love My "New" Getzen! Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:

Amado or traditional?

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
If you want to do some experimentation the Edwards branch of Getzen offers precision valve guides of three different materials.

https://store.edwards-instruments.com/product/valve-guides

or a complete "tune up" kit with new springs and pads

https://store.edwards-instruments.com/product/piston-performance-pack

Enjoy - it's a nice trumpet.

I have a student who is playing a used Severinsen from the 60s, and I slowly have been trying to upgrade the horn and his set up. Do you feel like the new valve thing is worth it? That could be a game changer. The valves on his are still excellent, of course.

Last edited by tyler.slamkowski on Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Love My "New" Getzen! Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:

I'd been waiting half a year for my ShiresCVLA-L (still no word) so I decided I needed a Plan B for Christmas.

I'm not sure who you ordered your Shires from, but some places probably have them in stock. I know our store does... let me know if you're still looking.

https://milanomusic.com/shires-cvla-l-b-flat-trumpet/

Cheers,
Josh
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler.slamkowski wrote:

I have a student who is playing a used Severinsen from the 60s, and I slowly have been trying to upgrade the horn and his set up. Do you feel like the new valve thing is worth it? That could be a game changer. The valves on his are still excellent, of course.

The valve guides will probably not change the valve action, but rather the sound to a small degree and reduce rotational valve mis-alignment.

Pro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrynZBKTVMY

Mixed reviews:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89105&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Love My "New" Getzen! Reply with quote

trumpjosh wrote:
Kennyg2019 wrote:

I'm not sure who you ordered your Shires from, but some places probably have them in stock. I know our store does... let me know if you're still looking.

https://milanomusic.com/shires-cvla-l-b-flat-trumpet/

Cheers,
Josh

I ordered it directly from Shires because I (originally) wanted a custom horn…silver with a second water key. But, thanks for letting me know. I think stores are going to get them in stock in the near future.
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Love My "New" Getzen! Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Kennyg2019 wrote:

Amado or traditional?

Amado
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Andy Cooper"]
tyler.slamkowski wrote:

The valve guides will probably not change the valve action, but rather the sound to a small degree and reduce rotational valve mis-alignment.

Pro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrynZBKTVMY

Mixed reviews:
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89105&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Changing to a set of our new, machined delrin valve guides will improve the valve action compared to the old, cast style. Two reasons.

1) The new guides are made from a denser material with a tighter structure through out. The older style were a cast part with a looser grain structure on the inside. Basically, if the outer surface was worn at all, the rough interior was exposed potentially causing a drag on the spring box.

2) Because they are CNC machined parts, the new guides are made to much tight tolerances. This means we could make them much thinner than the older style. I think they have about half the cross section of the old style. This means much less surface contact and again, less drag.

Now this is only referring to the new, black delrin guides. Not the metal guides Edwards sells. I would highly recommend them to anyone with an older Getzen horn with the cast guides. The improved action and feel was enough for us to make the switch on all production horns starting in 2018, despite the higher cost of the machined guide over the cast ones.

I wouldn't sleep on refreshing the felts, springs, and pads either. They break down over time and can really impact the play of a trumpet... especially the felts. This isn't just for our trumpets either, every piston horn needs a refresh from time to time.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
Changing to a set of our new, machined delrin valve guides will improve the valve action compared to the old, cast style.

If they enhance Getzen horns then why doesn't Getzen include them as stock?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Getzen wrote:
Changing to a set of our new, machined delrin valve guides will improve the valve action compared to the old, cast style.

If they enhance Getzen horns then why doesn't Getzen include them as stock?

Getzen wrote:
The improved action and feel was enough for us to make the switch on all production horns starting in 2018, despite the higher cost of the machined guide over the cast ones.

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ach so. Danke.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mcombo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: More Love for Getzen Severinsen Reply with quote

Kenny, like you, I was astonished by the sound.

I got a 1968 Severinsen here on the marketplace just a few years ago that rocked my world. It is so easy to play and has the bright shimmering sound I've been chasing for many years. Once you get your Calicchio 1s2, I'd be interested to hear how they compare. I got to try one after a long gig, loved the sound, but the Getzen feels so much easier to play, especially up high.

Brett Getzen, if you happen to see this, may I pick your brain on two questions? (And thank you for being such a valuable contributor to this forum!)

1. The joint between the top of the valve block and the bell is disconnected. Should I get that fixed, or will it dull the sound? Dilemma. I love it just the way it is, but wonder if this is an issue.
2. Is the 900S the same as this holy grail 1968 model? In case my dog eats my trumpet and I need a replacement ASAP.

I just ordered the piston performance pack to give my horn a Christmas present. That's how much I love it.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Love My "New" Getzen! Reply with quote

Kennyg2019 wrote:

Wow! What an awesome horn!

I have a naturally dark tone and use a legit mouthpiece (GR 3MX) so I needed a horn to add some "lightness" to my flugelhorn sound.

The Sev seems to be the answer for now. (I also have a Calicchio 1s2 en route so that should be fun!).

While I prefer the light weight and response of the Schilke B3B, the sound of the Getzen is what I was looking for.

I can't believe this 'cheap' 50-year-old horn is the best I've tried.

I really like mine. When I was a kid I thought those Amado keys were really slick - and still do! I see people complain about them, mine work fine as long as they're lubricated on occasion.

Doc did a bunch of amazing playing on Eternas, obviously it's capable of more than mere mortals will ever ask of it.

You say yours is from '70, my SN is approximately 800 lower than yours and has Amado keys. I guess that makes it from '70 or maybe '69?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Kennyg2019
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a side-by-side with the Doc and the Calicchio. The 1S2 was a little brighter but the Getzen was a little easier to play, had better valves, and an over-all better sound. I just wished the Getzen was as easy to play…and as accurate…as the Schilke. I’m hoping the Shires CVLA-L, which is now scheduled to arrive next month 🤞🏻will be the Goldilocks horn for me. Still, as of now trying dozens of top-rated (and expensive) trumpets, the Getzen Doc has the sound that’s closest to the sound I’m looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: