• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

he says Yamaha, and .. I need help figuring out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldlipguitarplayer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: he says Yamaha, and .. I need help figuring out Reply with quote

My quest to purchase a bit better horn led me to a craigslist posting.
I responded. The owner sent me this info:
"It is inscribed "designed by Vincent Bach Bundy" and "The Selmer Company". It has two very slight dents. The case has a small plaque which reads "Yamaha." I am not sure of the age or where it was first purchased. It was given to me by a friend who knew that I once was learning to play a trumpet many years ago".
So, I requested a serial number and he sent me: 789038
--
Any idea if this is a Yamaha or ?? What? It looks good in the photo. The seller lives a good distance from me, so I'm trying to do my research before a long drive.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say without seeing pictures, but it seems plausible that only the case is made by Yamaha, and the trumpet is a different brand.

The 2nd post in this thread may contain useful information for you.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces

Last edited by stuartissimo on Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
oldlipguitarplayer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard to say without seeing pictures, but it seems plausible that only the case is made by Yamaha, and the trumpet is a different brand
--
how do I include a photo? I can copy and save photo, but then what .. can I post here ?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, the Bundy trumpets made by Bach were all student trumpets. Not sure what you are playing now, but a Bundy might not be much of a step up. If you are looking for a reliable used student-level horn you might first look to the Getzen 300 or 400-series or Yamaha's student trumpet line.

As for why it is in a Yamaha case, perhaps the original Bundy case was missing or in poor condition. It definitely is not a Yamaha trumpet.

Good luck!
oldlipguitarplayer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard to say without seeing pictures, .....

https://nh.craigslist.org/msg/d/bennington-yamaha-trumpet/7564753203.html
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a Bundy, but I would ask for a photo of the inscription just to be sure.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a typical old Bundy trumpet sitting in an old Yamaha case. All the features such as valve caps, finger buttons, horn design and shape all say Bundy. I've seen hundreds of these over the years.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a Bundy. Probably 40 years old, or thereabouts. Easily worth about $75 from a less than knowledgeable seller with no way of insuring quality and condition, unless there is something I am missing.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked my new Bundy plenty when I was in junior high. But it's unlikely to be a step up for you unless your current horn is pretty lousy. I wouldn't gamble on an old student model.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldlipguitarplayer wrote:
hard to say without seeing pictures, .....

https://nh.craigslist.org/msg/d/bennington-yamaha-trumpet/7564753203.html

That looks like a Yamaha case ... definitely around in the 80s but not sure when they ceased using them. The case on my son's old ytr-2320 looks just like it.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little concerned about the 'red splotches' on the tuning slide - repair, or metal tarnish / deterioration?

Regardless, it looks like a typical decent quality student (beginner) level trumpet. If the mechanical parts all work ok and the valves aren't way out of alignment it would likely play adequately for amateur groups.

I wouldn't travel more than 1 gallon of gas (round trip) with expectation of it being more than 'decent beginner level'.

If there are issues with your current horn, explain here and you might get some easy inexpensive DIY suggestions for improvement.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love all of the posters on here who I guess are trying to hedge their bets or not say something that may not be right.

The simple answer is that it's a Selmer/Bach Bundy in a Yamaha case. I garnered that much from the original post, and I didn't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure that out.

Second, if you're looking for a "better sounding" horn, while I suppose that's subjective, I'm not sure you're going to get it from a Bundy. I have yet to see a Bundy that was little more than an entry level instrument that was designed as an abuse absorber first, and an instrument second.

The serial number is pretty much immaterial - Bundys are tanks that don't play particularly well. They are designed for beginning players to use as an entry level instrument that's tough enough to take the abuse those kids will invariably dish out, and they play poorly enough so Mom and Dad will fork out money for a step-up horn after a few years. Bach has a lock on the aspiring HS kid market with the Stradivarius, and that's the next logical progression - Bundy to a Strad, with sometimes a TR300 or Mercedes in between. At least that's what most unknowing HS directors will tell the parents.

Sorry - if it sounds like I'm a bit jaded, perhaps I am, but IMO you should steer clear of that Bundy and look for a better deal elsewhere.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: He says Yamaha Reply with quote

Hello all,
Did Bundy make a balanced looking trumpet??? I would pass on this one. There has to be better student horns out there.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the camera angle skews how it looks a bit.

Bach's 1962 design for the Bundy trumpet was built through the 1970s. They are solid and decent student horns which competed with assorted Conn Director models to dominate beginning band rooms for decades. Still, were I looking for "a bit better", I would probably seek a non-student instrument in the vintage market before buying even a good student horn.

It is the same as this Bundy.

http://www.trumpet-history.com/Virtual%20Museum_files/newpic140.JPG

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has become borderline comical. It's like we're trying to determine the breed and age of the cow that dropped the manure.

IT'S A BUNDY! WHO CARES!?

Is it vintage? Maybe, but ultimately it's still a student model trumpet of little to no value either monetarily or as a playable instrument, and the smartest call on this, for this particular situation, is a hard pass... In my opinion.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP

Last edited by trickg on Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
This thread has become borderline comical. It's like we're trying to determine the breed and age of the cow that dropped the manure.

Is it vintage? Maybe, but ultimately it's still a student model trumpet of little to know value either monetarily or as a playable instrument, and the smartest call on this, for this particular situation, is a hard pass... In my opinion.

Very well said.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: He says Yamaha Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,
Did Bundy make a balanced looking trumpet??? I would pass on this one. There has to be better student horns out there.

The wrap on them is a little more "balanced" than is typical. Sometimes people see these or Bach TR300s and think they're C trumpets because of it. However, they're just Bbs with a slightly different proportion of where the tubing is.

trickg wrote:

Is it vintage? Maybe, but ultimately it's still a student model trumpet of little to know value either monetarily or as a playable instrument, and the smartest call on this, for this particular situation, is a hard pass... In my opinion.

Indeed.

It's priced about $110 too, much. Maybe $135 too much. $50-75 is about right for these in roughly this condition. But, maybe just skip and keep looking.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:

Lol...

I have a sentimental attachment to my Bundy because I've had it since elementary school - it was the first horn that was "mine", not a rental, but it's not a good horn. It sounds better than any plastic trumpet but that's a pretty low bar. I've played student-level instruments that sounded and played great, my Bundy isn't one of them - it's got a funny resonance. I don't know what the physics are that cause it but it's odd that it came from the same company that makes the Strad - obviously Bach knew how to make trumpets. I can only speak definitively about mine but given what I've ever heard anyone say about Bundys it seems to be consistent. Other companies like Olds made student horns that have a good reputation.

For that same money you should be able to find a better student level horn. One I *do* like is a Besson 1000. Looking on eBay the ones that are there right now seem overpriced to me given what I paid for mine.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a "vintage" trumpet. It's a 42 or so year old "old" student trumpet from a questionable period of time. In the 60's Bundy's had some of the best student valves with 2 point guides. Some time in the late 70's they decided to go to 1 point valve guides and ended up producing "bugles". To fix the sticking valves they simply put in stronger springs which were difficult for 5th graders to use. I'm not sure exactly when they got this straightened out since the store I worked for gave up and started selling Kings and Holtons and Holton/Yamahas.

https://www.adams-music.com/en/repair_and_maintenance/serial_numbers/buescher_bundy

I'd drive to my local pawn shop first and try to find a Getzen, King, Jupiter, Yamaha, or Holton trumpet. Take some valve oil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: