• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Go Forth and Spread the Word!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Go Forth and Spread the Word! Reply with quote

I've recently seen a few Reinhardt enthusiasts posting in the other forums in TH, and I think that's a great thing. Folks come to this site because they want to learn, share, and improve, and there is so much misinformation in regards to brass playing that Reinhardt solved decades ago.

I want to encourage folks to go out there and make folks aware of the real solutions that Reinhardt offers. Folks need help, and Reinhardt has many of the answers. You don't have to get in to debates, but I think more people need to be aware of its existence and usefulness.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard and read, for me, I think it's precarious just studying Reinhardt by one's self - that it's really safer and more effective to study with a bona fide Reinhardt teacher.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - I'm not encouraging folks try and solve problems necessary, but for those well versed in Reinhardt we can answer some questions, or at least offer suggestions (which often results in recommending a lesson).
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many of Reinhardt's concepts are directly contrary to "traditional" teachings that it's easy to run into instant resistance from doubters.

I think it might be better for us to focus on the people who come to us as "the last house on the block" as they might finally be ready to abandon all the conflicting nonsense they may amassed from taking a little of this and a little of that from all the others.

I learned a very long time ago not to offer help that's not directly sought.

I just took a brief tour through the various fora here and am not terribly surprised to see many "experts" who post in pretty much every forum.

Personally, I decided a while back to just be here for those who may be exasperated with all the experts and geniuses who promote a combination of methodology that when taken as a whole amount to merely more confusion and frustration for so many players.

When this Reinhardt Forum began, I may have been the only vocal proponent of Reinhardt's teachings on Trumpet Herald, and I think that's why Todd asked me to be the moderator. I'm really grateful to those who have stuck around to join in trying to keep Doc's teachings alive when people come to us at the end of their rope.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I learned a very long time ago not to offer help that's not directly sought."

Some of the best advice ever offered on TH.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
"I learned a very long time ago not to offer help that's not directly sought."

Some of the best advice ever offered on TH.

----------------
unfortunately some of the 'sought help' is -
'how do I stop my finger from hurting when I beat on it with a hammer'
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
So many of Reinhardt's concepts are directly contrary to "traditional" teachings that it's easy to run into instant resistance from doubters.

I think it might be better for us to focus on the people who come to us as "the last house on the block" as they might finally be ready to abandon all the conflicting nonsense they may amassed from taking a little of this and a little of that from all the others.

I learned a very long time ago not to offer help that's not directly sought.

I just took a brief tour through the various fora here and am not terribly surprised to see many "experts" who post in pretty much every forum.

Personally, I decided a while back to just be here for those who may be exasperated with all the experts and geniuses who promote a combination of methodology that when taken as a whole amount to merely more confusion and frustration for so many players.

When this Reinhardt Forum began, I may have been the only vocal proponent of Reinhardt's teachings on Trumpet Herald, and I think that's why Todd asked me to be the moderator. I'm really grateful to those who have stuck around to join in trying to keep Doc's teachings alive when people come to us at the end of their rope.

I read the section on Reinhardt in Dave Hickman's pedagogy book the other day. It's very interesting, but the specificity and complexity is overwhelming at first glance. Seems interesting and at least worth learning; I feel like the categorization would help me be more specific in crafting a more specific and tailored curriculum for each of my students.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler.slamkowski wrote:
... I feel like the categorization would help me be more specific in crafting a more specific and tailored curriculum for each of my students.

-------------------------
Some questions about the 'categories' and the 'prescribed solutions'

Did Reinhardt teach that each of the listed categories has its own specific 'solution' that always works? Or is it a matter of him having identified his 'list of categories' and the 'solutions' that seem to work in most cases?

I have the impression that Reinhardt was concerned with finding the specific 'solutions' that gave the best functionality for an individual. And that as he worked with more and more players, the various categories and their 'likely solutions' became evident and were codified into his method.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referencing this?
https://www.amazon.com/Trumpet-Pedagogy-Compendium-Teaching-Techniques/dp/B002CX5GB6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2JW1DEVSRVOLD&keywords=trumpet+pedagogy%2C+david+hickman%2C+trumpet&qid=1670709366&sprefix=trumpet+pedagogy%2C+david+hickman%2C+trumpet%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-1

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your enthusiasm, Donovan, unfortunately, Rich is pretty right on here.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone in the Fundamentals Forum and replied to some guy who was asking about fixing his chop problems, writing some 6-7 paragraph response detailing their issues and what I think could be done to fix their chops, recommending Reinhardt teachers, the whole nine, only to be completely ignored; not even thanked.

I could have spent that time practicing, responding to an email, or even taking a walk.

Others have come into this forum asking for advice and disagreed with the advice that was given without even trying it (I remember one of Reinhardt’s students saying to one guy, “Fine! Go play your pedal tones! I don’t care anymore.”).

That said, I think that under the right circumstances, it could help, but not too much, or people will think we’re crazy, that is if they don’t already.

Best,

Josh
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rare that I try to solve people's problems, especially without seeing them play, but I think one could relate an issue someone is reporting with relevant Reinhardt information, and then direct them to get a teacher. Frankly, with most issues, the only (and certainly) quickest way to solve it, is to get a coach.
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone solve a chop problem just by asking a question on Trumpet Herald, unless it was a recommendation to take a lesson!

But you can give people nuggets of wisdom that fall under the first rule of medicine: do no harm!

For example, I was responding to an orchestral trumpet player who was having a problem. It seemed from what he was describing that he, like a lot of people who play the kind of material he does, plays loud in the middle and low register all the time. I suggested he try backing off a bit on the volume in practice at least and see if that helps, or think about it. I tried to explain to him what blaring in those registers does to your chops and why. Many people have never had it explained to them. But I referred him to Chris LaBarbera because he sounded like he wasn’t playing efficiently and I thought Chris could give him some insight into that.

Sometimes players just need a little encouragement. There was one young man who said he was cutting his lip really badly and was thinking about quitting. I told him the true story that when I was 17, I cut my lower lip so badly I actually had minor surgery on it (I went to the doctor and they recommended it, saying it could become cancerous). Looking back, going through with the surgery was probably a bad idea, but you know what? I rested and healed up, and then a few months later I was playing better than I ever had. I told him all about my worst problems (I’ve had two or three other horror stories too) in hopes it would give him some hope.

Anyway, I’m not sure how helpful advice on the internet really is, but I think sometimes we’re really doing it for the “hang” and no other reason. But, if it wasn’t for this website, I may not have found Reinhardt’s teachings, and I am eternally grateful for it.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoshMizruchi wrote:
Right, I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone solve a chop problem just by asking a question on Trumpet Herald, unless it was a recommendation to take a lesson!

But you can give people nuggets of wisdom that fall under the first rule of medicine: do no harm!

~

Anyway, I’m not sure how helpful advice on the internet really is, but I think sometimes we’re really doing it for the “hang” and no other reason. But, if it wasn’t for this website, I may not have found Reinhardt’s teachings, and I am eternally grateful for it.

Piecing together many of those little nuggets of wisdom, from many sources, has helped me fix some major issues with my playing. Like you, I'm glad they can be found online...even if it's pretty tricky to sift through them.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Piecing together many of those little nuggets of wisdom, from many sources, has helped me fix some major issues with my playing. Like you, I'm glad they can be found online...even if it's pretty tricky to sift through them.

Doc Reinhardt would disagree with piecing together "nuggets of wisdom" from varied sources if they weren't all grounded in logic and common sense (as opposed to much "traditional" teaching).

Reinhardt would have a fit if you showed up after several lessons still adhering to some contradictory mannerism(s) you learned elsewhere. He would tell you to save your instruction money and go study with somebody else. If you didn't honor his proscriptions he didn't want to bother with you, and he could tell if you were "mixing and matching" in a heartbeat.

When you went to Doc, it was usually because you had tried everything else and only achieved failure. If you weren't willing to leave behind everything that obviously didn't work and give him your totally dedicated effort, he didn't want to waste his time with you. It was just that simple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: