• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Overcoming Performance Fear

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael Coon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Overcoming Performance Fear Reply with quote

Hi
I started playing two years ago, after being away from the trumpet for 45 years. I practice regularly. I’m performing Bach’s Chorale du Veilleur at my Christmas Day church service. I still get super nervous playing in front of people. Last Sunday as people were coming in I choked and my playing was a total embarrassment from my nerves. I’ve practiced this piece and was playing it fairly well until the rehearsal, in front of people.

I contemplated quitting; if I can’t handle playing live what’s the point? In fairness this will only be my second performance of this kind since high school.

How can I get over the fear of performing? I don’t want to quit but man, my pathetic performance has greatly discouraged me. If athletes and musicians can overcome then I need to learn how. I’m 64.

Thank You,

Michael
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens to everyone to some degree. Play in front of your family or friends at home. Video yourself playing. Tell yourself "there's no-one else in the room who can play this piece as well as I can right now." (That's almost always true). I find focusing on specific notes or phrases within the piece gets my mind off the Whole Piece and "The Audience".

I recently played 1st on "Pictures at an Exhibition" for the first time at an orchestral concert, and I definitely had some nerves during rehearsals. Before the performance, I had a good friend who pointed out how many themes form the piece were used in the Smurfs TV show (like half a dozen!) So as the lights went down, I just told myself "I'm just playing Smurfs tunes for my friend" (who was in the audience). It went great.

Find what works for you. There are whole books written about this subject that are worth looking into. https://www.amazon.com/Inner-Game-Music-Barry-Green/dp/0385231261
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure some great players will pitch in and share help, but for me I just try and focus on the beauty of the music - to the exclusion of all else...And I mean all else!

But my first time playing in public, I got cottonmouth so bad I couldn't tongue for the first half of the song. Maybe have some water handy in case...

It does get better, and better, and better. Music can add so much to your life; don't be dissapointed and never give up. We'll be sending positive thoughts your way! You are no doubt your worst critic, too.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably hard to overcome completely. Been playing for over 40 years and still feel very uncomfortable being so exposed on the trumpet. Mind you, I have been teaching for over 20 years for large groups in university settings and had at some point run a 200 piece military unit. No problem standing in front of these crowds, but music is different.

My guess is that’s coming from the fact that both my teaching and the military job were something I had done everyday from morning to evening while music (although I try to practice every day) has to squeeze in between work and family. So, lack of true professionalism, I guess.

Also, talking about something you know or giving out info or orders is easy plus you can always correct, just rephrase and come again. In a piece of music, if you screw it up, it’s out there and you can’t correct.

My recent challenge (and I’m not sure I’m up for it, but we’ll see) is trumpet/organ. Never did it before (too much exposure, exactly) but I have been asked by a pro organist who heard me play, so I’m willing to accept the challenge
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should go without saying that you have to be super prepared. That's a given. Don't play anything you can't play flawlessly.

My big "Aha" moment came when I took myself out of the equation. Instead of "me" being the center of attention, I looked upon myself as merely a conduit of the music. There was the music - through me - and out to the audience.

What was important was the music and the audience. The "me", the "Ego" ceased to exist. My occasional terror stopped immediately.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy teaches related material at Juilliard...

https://bulletproofmusician.com

...and has some great techniques to offer.

Many musicians take a 10mg tablet of propranolol (beta blocker), sometimes two tablets, that helps calm the nerves before big performances, that is, big to them. I've known of some professional players who've taken it for awhile and then eventually weened themselves off of it. Some report that it calms things down enough to concentrate, and they end up playing better. Some heavily criticize those who take these meds. I've heard of business people even taking a small dose like that when they have to give an infrequent public speech. I know that when it is detected during routine drug screening, it will disqualify athletes competing in certain circles, like the Olympics and pro golf.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something lots of people deal with, including famous musicians. It's not just you.

Put your performance into perspective. You are just a piece of the church service. People will be there regardless of whether or not you'd be performing the Bach Chorale, and the service will be a "success" regardless of your performance. The weight of a merry Christmas for your congregation is not on your shoulders!

Obviously, being as prepared as you can be will help, but also not having unrealistic expectations. You've been playing for two years. You are NOT going to sound like a Maurice Andre recording. That's ok. Give yourself permission to make a mistake, or play a shaky note or two and move on.

I'll add that if you start getting that "butterflies" feeling in your stomach, you might try telling yourself that the sensation is because you are so excited to share your music and not because you are scared. Don't try to ignore what you are feeling; reframe it into something positive. It can help.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three or four sessions with a hypnotist worked dramatically for me.

She also improved my accuracy, and slightly increased my usable range.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
No problem standing in front of these crowds, but music is different.

I have the exact opposite...speaking in front of a group is terrifying, but put a trumpet in my hands and I'm mostly fine. Even if admittedly, that took years before I was that comfortable.

What helped me is to practice in places where people could (and would) hear me play (say, outdoors in a park). Practicing to deal with the anxiety and the unknown effect of people listening and looking at you, made the actual event a little less stressful. Like most things with the trumpet, practicing helps.

jeirvine wrote:
So as the lights went down, I just told myself "I'm just playing Smurfs tunes for my friend" (who was in the audience).

Hehe, awesome!
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am lucky because playing to an audience has always been something I love doing. In my early teens I had a small 5 piece band and was playing a regular Saturday night teen dance gig ( did it for 4 and a half years). I was also an amateur actor. The bigger the audience the better I was at whatever I was doing. So I can't give any advice, because whether playing the trumpet, running a company meeting, acting or what have you, I am a big ham.

As far as the trumpet goes, when playing by myself, it isn't that great. But everything changes when facing an audience.
George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently played a solo for the funeral of a friend and fellow trumpet player. A new experience for me. Of course, I was last on the program. Very nerve wracking.

As others have said, have water nearby. Just knowing it's there if needed can help. Consciously relax your shoulders, let them droop. Deep, slow breaths. Most of all, try to get out of your own head. Focus on what's going on outside in the moment, instead of continually racing through the piece in your mind. If you can't avoid an earworm, at least try to make it something other than what you are about to play.

I know, much easier said than done.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
Three or four sessions with a hypnotist worked dramatically for me..

That reminds me - there's a simple yet very effective technique that only takes a few seconds.. It has helped me many times.

"The Relaxation Response".
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=%22The+Relaxation+Response%22.&crid=2UW4NYTX5DOTL&sprefix=the+relaxation+response+.%2Caps%2C200&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

If you don't mind used:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=%22The+Relaxation+Response%22.&_sacat=0

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jscahoy wrote:
I recently played a solo for the funeral of a friend and fellow trumpet player. A new experience for me. Of course, I was last on the program. Very nerve wracking.

As others have said, have water nearby. Just knowing it's there if needed can help. Consciously relax your shoulders, let them droop. Deep, slow breaths. Most of all, try to get out of your own head. Focus on what's going on outside in the moment, instead of continually racing through the piece in your mind. If you can't avoid an earworm, at least try to make it something other than what you are about to play.

I know, much easier said than done.

I did too couple of years ago. Was a dear friend who wanted me to play for him, we discussed the music 10 days before he died. Come Sunday (Ellington) and Fly as a bird. I was so sad. Turned to the coffin and said " -name -hear me playin´to ya" (he was a great musician (amateur, one of the truly gifted so he would have understood the allusion). Also I connected with him, from me to him.
Then I played flawlessly but very emotionally, allowing me my feelings. The result? The audience cried. I cried too but through the horn.

This might sound simplistic but from the meta perspective this is significant: don´t you ever deny your feelings - denying will only result in a fight between reality (that you are nervous, sad or whatever) and the part of you that doesn´t want to expose yourself. You are a human who happens to play the trumpet and humans are endowned with emotions.
As Keheaulani writes: consider yourself the medium, passing on the message. Another way of re-defining as one poster points out.

But I´ve have come to the conclusion, from all these years, that sometimes the anxiety might be justified! You must be the master of the music your´e supposed to deliver. The OP:s tune in question requires a lot of practice. Thus one should listen to one´s feelings; are they justified or not!
Also Bulletproof Musician is a real gem! Noa Kageyama does a wonderful job!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Overcoming Performance Fear Reply with quote

Michael Coon wrote:

I started playing two years ago, after being away from the trumpet for 45 In fairness this will only be my second performance of this kind since high school...

How can I get over the fear of performing? l

The answer to your question lies in your above statement.
You need to play more solos - maybe music at the end of the service as the congregation is leaving - less pressure.

1. What was the sermon about? What was the latest news on the missionaries your church supports?
2. What other music was performed?
3. The service is the cake - the music is the icing - you are a couple of those little candy sprinkles on top of the icing.
4. Half the congregation were on their phones texting while you played your heart out.
5. The other half thought you were playing saxophone.

(Seriously, for 20 or so years my wife told everyone I played sax. Sigh...)
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put, Andy. Us nervous people need to realize, "it's not all about us". Much of our audience is not really listening.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
Rickperon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Overcoming Performance Fear Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote: The answer to your question lies in your above statement.
You need to play more solos - maybe music at the end of the service as the congregation is leaving - less pressure.

1. What was the sermon about? What was the latest news on the missionaries your church supports?
2. What other music was performed?
3. The service is the cake - the music is the icing - you are a couple of those little candy sprinkles on top of the icing.
4. Half the congregation were on their phones texting while you played your heart out.
5. The other half thought you were playing saxophone.

(Seriously, for 20 or so years my wife told everyone I played sax. Sigh...)"

Oh man, this made me laugh out loud! Sorry, but thanks for this. I am 66 yrs old and have made my living playing the trumpet since age 14... (local garage bands, to a career as a musician in the USAF, to freelance musician today), and my wife's family have never understood or taken me serious, just a couple of weeks ago my 89 yr old father-in-law asked "why is your social security check that much? You don't do anything!" Ha!..... and yes, depending on the situation, I still get nervous. Well said Andy!
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention - one way to get over solo "shakes" is to go play Taps at local cemeteries when there is no one else there.

It's a lot harder than you think.
jburgstaller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
If I may share an upcoming valuable and free resource on this subject:
Tomorrow's seminar is free, I believe!
Wednesday, December 14th 2022 @ 5:30PM MST

https://www.fearless-performance.com/howtoprep
www.asutrumpets.com
www.joeburgstaller.com
www.trumpetwarmupshow.com
www.ASUTrumpets.com
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dealt with this many times. Here's my tips:

1. Stop playing to impress and just make music.
2. You WILL get nervous. Don't ignore it, that only makes it build. If you don't acknowledge it, your brain sends more adrenaline because it thinks you aren't paying attention. Acknowledge your nerves like an old friend.
3. Breathe through your nose. This will help you calm down.
4. Do not expect perfection.
5. Have plenty of approx room temperature water nearby.

Have FUN! If you crash and burn, it makes for a better story than if you play beautifully.
Michael Coon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Thanks for Your Advice Reply with quote

I am honored that each of you took the time to offer your advice in overcoming performance fear. I greatly enjoy our instrument. I have to give myself grace. Second real performance in a long time.

I believe the Trumpet Herald is a great resource regardless of our trumpet playing level. I need to check in more often.

I’m still nervous at the thought, but I don’t want to take counsel from my fear (Gen. George S. Patton). As much as I want to back out, I won’t. I have not been given a spirit of fear 2 Tim 1:7.

I rehearse again on Sunday. I’ll share results after Christmas, good, bad, and ugly, Lol
Merry Christmas by the way!

Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: