• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

EVGs = Ergonomic Valve Guides by Jacob Hoskins

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: EVGs = Ergonomic Valve Guides by Jacob Hoskins Reply with quote

Jake Hoskins is a young brass repair technician employed at Meridian Winds (band instrument shop) in Okemos, Michigan.

He has invented and patented a valve guide replacement system called Ergonomic Valve Guides, or EVGs for short. You can view them on his website:

https://bajocmusic.com

(Bájoc is Jacob with the letters rearranged.)

https://bajocmusic.com/bajoc-ergonomic-valve-guides-evgs/
=======
The Bájoc EVGs were made to:

Eliminate valve catching issues that take place inside of the spring barrel; and
Ensure that the valve is able to move freely and yet quietly* while utilizing the EVGs.

*Quietly is being used as a general term here since each player has a different approach to what "quiet" valve action sounds like.

https://bajocmusic.com/product/bajoc-ergonomic-valve-guides-evgs/
=======
Here is a video tutorial that he just made to demonstrate installing them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feJsrW2EQHA
=======
I now have these on two of my Bach Bb trumpets...43 & 37*...after having Jake install new MAW valves in both horns. I'm considering buying some EVGs for other horns. Price is under $150 for a set of three.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess, when I think about it, I never had spring noise from, Olds, older Kings, or Getzen trumpets and cornets.

Rather clever solution.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: EVG Reply with quote

Hello all,
Clever yes. I think Conn used a similar, outer sprung valve.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: EVG Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,
Clever yes. I think Conn used a similar, outer sprung valve.

...as did Olds and Bueschers. More of you will know of other brands that used outer-sprung valves. The Olds Super I recently sold, Buescher Super 400, and Olds Recording that I have listed to sell all have this design feature. I think there's something to this. Getzen's superior valve construction is due in large part to the nickel plating in lieu of monel, and while they have inner springs, their valve guide is built differently than most others (with a wider guide slot), and I think that part encourages better performance as well.

Jake makes his EVGs available for:

Bach Stradivarius
Hoxon Gakki – CarolBrass, Eclipse & similar
J. Meinlschmidt – Bájoc, MAW, Thane & similar
Kanstul Custom Class
Schilke
VanLaar
Yamaha

You can find this list on this web page...

https://bajocmusic.com/product/bajoc-ergonomic-valve-guides-evgs/

...and then click on the Pop Down menu: “Types of Valves.”

I have had a suspicion (theory) that our individual, and for sure perfection-less, "stroke" from up to down and vice versa with each valve has greater "influence" on the mechanics of a valve if the spring is on the inside of the spring barrel. With the spring placed on the outside of the spring barrel, there is less "warpage" that occurs over time, and less hanging of the valve particularly with the upstroke. That is all supposition on my part from my limited experience with different valve constructs. HOWEVER, Jake feels the main culprit when a valve “hangs” during the upstroke more particularly has to do with the actual guide inside the casing “catching.” Hence, his unique guide (called a "dogbone" due to its shape) allows for clean and consistent action inside the guide "slots." The top and bottom rings he supplies are designed to keep the spring in position as well as (the bottom spring will) “seat” the dogbone. He supplies felts for each manufacturer to ensure proper alignment (unless you’ve had a 3rd party do a PVA). The side to side motion of the valve is minimized considerably (practically to nil) compared to the OEM guides on my two Bach tpts now with EVGs.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boosey and Hawkes "microbore" valves had the outer springs too. As used on the Sovereign cornet.

One tip: Most spring noise comes from portion. You can stop that by applying a thin layer of slide grease to the top of the valve guide and the inside of the valve stem where the spring sits. MOre simply, just dab the top and bottom oif the spring in the grease. It only needs a tiny amount. As the spring compresses and trys to turn it won't stick and make a creaking noise.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
The Boosey and Hawkes "microbore" valves had the outer springs too. As used on the Sovereign cornet.

One tip: Most spring noise comes from portion. You can stop that by applying a thin layer of slide grease to the top of the valve guide and the inside of the valve stem where the spring sits. MOre simply, just dab the top and bottom oif the spring in the grease. It only needs a tiny amount. As the spring compresses and trys to turn it won't stick and make a creaking noise.

I've thought about daring to put grease on the inside of the spring barrel but hesitant that some of it might eventually leach into the casing and hinder valve movement. Now hearing that someone else has (successfully?) done it, I might give it a go on some of my other horns. Jake Hoskins posits that most of the drag and noise is from the actual OEM valve guide, which was his primary motivation to invent these EVGs. Also, I don't recall anyone ever saying to lubricate the valve guide slots, but if nothing else, I guess we could practically douse those areas on the spring barrel during regular valve oil application, and maybe that would be a quick and cost-effective way to help eliminate most of any drag or extra noise.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It requires a tiny amount of grease. So little I can hardly see it and I have never got any into the valve. I only have to do this with instruments that have brass valve guides normally.

Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
GordonH wrote:

I've thought about daring to put grease on the inside of the spring barrel but hesitant that some of it might eventually leach into the casing and hinder valve movement. Now hearing that someone else has (successfully?) done it, I might give it a go on some of my other horns. Jake Hoskins posits that most of the drag and noise is from the actual OEM valve guide, which was his primary motivation to invent these EVGs. Also, I don't recall anyone ever saying to lubricate the valve guide slots, but if nothing else, I guess we could practically douse those areas on the spring barrel during regular valve oil application, and maybe that would be a quick and cost-effective way to help eliminate most of any drag or extra noise.

Valve oil is too thin for the guide slot. A bit of slide grease works, or having a repair tech burnish the slots to ooth out any burrs or lumps that often are in the slot.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:
dstpt wrote:
GordonH wrote:

Valve oil is too thin for the guide slot. A bit of slide grease works, or having a repair tech burnish the slots to ooth out any burrs or lumps that often are in the slot.

When I put brass valve guides on my back I had to polish the slots. I used Micromesh as I had some. Its abrasive but really doesn't remove that much material. I don't know what you think of that as way of doing it? It need more than normal polish as the surfaces were rough.

trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see things like this and on one hand I see it as a solution in search of a problem. On the other hand, I have had an issue with a couple of horns with spring vibration and buzzing on certain notes, and this would definitely be a solution to that issue.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that they are making them for Jupiter trumpets, and my main axe is still the Jupiter XO Roger Ingram model.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Bájoc Music

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all!

I saw dstpt post here about my EVGs and I thought I would chime in with my thanks for the review, as well as add some more news and/or information.

For the past couple years, I was looking to develop a universal valve guide design that would allow for smoother valve action while also eliminating the issues of the valve guides "catching" or rubbing up on the inside walls of the spring barrel (or spring box, whichever you all prefer).

As a brass technician (as dstpt previously mentioned), I've had many opportunities to analyze and take notes on horns that would end up on my bench. Mouthpipe venturi sizes, bore sizes, all of the quick and easy things at the start...and then I got into analyzing valve guide designs and other small things.

When my clients would come in saying they are having issues with their valves working 100% of the time, my first thoughts are to check (not in any particular order): the valve plating/finish; the valve OD/casing ID to get the in-between tolerances; the compression (helps me to determine if a higher viscosity oil is needed to fill in excess space between the pistons and casings); and also...the valve guide assembly.

What gets me sometimes is when clients stop in at the shop and tell me they just dropped ~$500-700 on a valve job...and their valves are still catching? I then check the valve guide assembly and sure enough, sometimes I get an immediate or direct visual cue like this in the picture link down below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hA24icj8aDng_F6W8xEW1SvkEw8vK5xC/view?usp=sharing

This is from a recently purchased new, professional Bb trumpet with brass valve guides installed (will not mention brand names here), and already the valve guides are rubbing on the inside walls of the valve spring barrel...on all four corners! [*The picture here is only showing one corner*]

Now, I wanted to mention this because I see this occur on many different brands and models of horns with internally sprung valve guide assemblies—with both brass and nylon valve guide materials (the brass does more damage by burnishing and wearing down on the spring barrel & valve guide, while the soft nylon cannot burnish the spring barrel but still wears down on the valve guide).

I bring all of this up because I wanted to develop a product that helps folks who struggle(d) with this issue, myself included. To overcome an industry "bottleneck" and to look back at the great designs from the past—like F.E. Olds & Sons, Buescher, Holton (Galaxy, ST550, etc.), King, C.G. Conn, F. Besson (prewar), and others.

My hope is to try and eliminate the big "what if's" of the trumpet's/cornet's/flugelhorn's overall mechanical functionality, like "what if during my playing the big solo tonight all of a sudden my valves start to stick and catch in the middle of the upstroke?" This ever happen to you, folks? Not fun, eh?

The priority here is being able to effortlessly express your sound and personality through your instrument, rather than fighting the instrument to work and function mechanically.

I hope all of this helps explain to you all where I come from on my EVGs, and all of the other things at Bájoc that I am continuing to develop.

P.S. I am looking to expand the EVGs to make them compatible with many other brands—like Martin (Committee), B&S (Challenger I/II; X-Line), and Besson (Sovereign/Prestige cornets & tenor horns, post 2011)...coming soon!

P.P.S. I do apologize for the long post, my bad!

I hope all of this finds you well, take care!

Jacob Hoskins, Proprietor

I am driven to work generously in the service of others' musical creativity.
Bájoc Music

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I see things like this and on one hand I see it as a solution in search of a problem. On the other hand, I have had an issue with a couple of horns with spring vibration and buzzing on certain notes, and this would definitely be a solution to that issue.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear that they are making them for Jupiter trumpets, and my main axe is still the Jupiter XO Roger Ingram model.

Jupiter/XO is (hopefully soon!) another brand of horn that I'll be adding to the list, including: Adams (newest, more recent valve guide design), UMI, (Conn Vintage One, King Silver Flair), S.E. Shires, Stomvi, and the others I included in my P.S. from my last post! And mayyyybe Benge (Burbank, L.A., & UMI)...we'll see

Take care!

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes them "ergonomic"?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
What makes them "ergonomic"?

"Ergonomic" might not be the perfect word to use, but it's close enough in definition:

"designed to minimize physical effort and discomfort, and hence maximize efficiency"

I don't know that it minimizes physical effort, but it is a more efficient design because it's designed for smooth motion and to eliminate binding.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always glad to see people improving things.
But one nit to pick: don't use the word "tolerance" when you really mean "clearance." A common mistake, but they are two very different things.

Bájoc Music wrote:
Hello all!
When my clients would come in saying they are having issues with their valves working 100% of the time, my first thoughts are to check (not in any particular order): the valve plating/finish; the valve OD/casing ID to get the in-between tolerances; the compression (helps me to determine if a higher viscosity oil is needed to fill in excess space between the pistons and casings); and also...the valve guide assembly.
Bájoc Music

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
I'm always glad to see people improving things.
But one nit to pick: don't use the word "tolerance" when you really mean "clearance." A common mistake, but they are two very different things.

Bájoc Music wrote:
Hello all!

Thank you, Doug! And yes, thank you for that word catch! I did mean "clearance" and not "tolerance"—I had another sentence written there before and I thought I backspaced it all...I guess not, ha! Take care

Shews Blues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: EVGs = Ergonomic Valve Guides by Jacob Hoskins Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Jake Hoskins is a young brass repair technician employed at Meridian Winds (band instrument shop) in Okemos, Michigan.

I'm having trouble getting the site to pull up - keep getting a timed out error
Yamaha 739T
Benge flugel #5bell
Bájoc Music

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: EVGs = Ergonomic Valve Guides by Jacob Hoskins Reply with quote

Shews Blues wrote:
dstpt wrote:

I'm having trouble getting the site to pull up - keep getting a timed out error

Oops! You probably tried opening the link right around the time I was adding stuff onto my website this morning. Sorry about that! It should be back up and running again.

Shews Blues

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: EVGs = Ergonomic Valve Guides by Jacob Hoskins Reply with quote

Yes, it's up again!
Yamaha 739T
Benge flugel #5bell
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One upgrade to the site was adding more info on different supported brands. Also, in an email correspondence, I learned that the valve size is usually the same in individual manufacturers between cornet, flugelhorn and trumpet valves. Some possible exceptions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: