• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Poor tone on certain notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kanellos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Poor tone on certain notes Reply with quote

I am a returning player after not playing for the past 10 or so years. I've been having a recurring issue that I can't quite figure out. When practicing most of the time I struggle to produce a good tone on a few notes. They are from c# below the staff to e-flat on the staff. Either I struggle to get them out or they are very airy. Been trying to pinpoint what could be causing it, since it's something with my embouchure. I don't have issues with any other notes. If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The notes below low C# are not airy, and the notes above first line Eb are not airy? The three notes in question (C#, D, Eb) all involve use of the third valve. How does second space Ab or low Ab sound? If the notes involving use of the third valve tend to be airy it would be worth having a tech look over your horn to see if there is a mechanical issue such as a leaky water key. Good luck!
ebolton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
The notes below low C# are not airy, and the notes above first line Eb are not airy? The three notes in question (C#, D, Eb) all involve use of the third valve. How does second space Ab or low Ab sound? If the notes involving use of the third valve tend to be airy it would be worth having a tech look over your horn to see if there is a mechanical issue such as a leaky water key. Good luck!

Also a poor seal on the third valve slide. Oil it liberally, or even grease it if you don't regularly use the slide.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both responses above are very good, in my opinion.

These notes, however, can be very challenging. Perhaps for the reasons above, perhaps for other reasons as well. I think these notes, like others, can also become mentally as well as physically challenging. When you know there isn’t a physical problem with your horn, ample, consistent practice of these notes can help you overcome their significant challenges.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of trumpet are you playing? Is there a water key on the 3rd slide, and does the cork need to be replaced because it is worn out and no longer air-tight?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: