• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

WT, CG, 3X+, 2X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: WT, CG, 3X+, 2X Reply with quote

🎺

Last edited by Shaft on Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the sound of the WT and the 3X+. I also dig the corvettes.
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WT .............
760-643-1501

Delivering the distinctive Wild Thing Sound since 1994
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip Oakes wrote:
WT .............

No bias here.

Hope you are doing well Flip.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

🎺

Last edited by Shaft on Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally had a little time to listen through the video. I've played at least one of each of these trumpet models at sometime in the last ten years. Some of them I'm very familiar with, others just a quick sampling. I'm not listening tonight on any special equipment, so my impressions are pretty basic.

I think it's most accurate to divide Shaft's 2 octave scale into bottom, middle and upper range and comment on how each horn sounds in each of those three portions.

WT - Most confident sounding. Duh. You play it all the time, but that stability in response is a characteristic I cited when I first was introduced to the Wild Thing in 2009. The low range is rich and full. Mid range is kind of neutral and the upper range sounded the most pinched to me.

CG - Also open sounding, perhaps more than the WT, but lacking that inherent stability. Yes, I see it is the one you've played the least, but the hyper responsiveness of the horn is no help to you in this video. Mid range is starting to cook a little, but I was surprised by the pinching of the upper range. *The Burbank CG I had for a few weeks was so easy in the upper range.

3X+ - Noticeably less richness and size in the low range, best mid range of all four horns, top end starts to really cook. This had the best sound upstairs, to my ears.

2X - More down low than expected, but it sounded like it did not want to respond well down there. Mid range pretty strong. Upper range...? For me, it held no advantage over the 3X+ at the top of the scale and lacked the nice midrange usability of the MLP.

Based solely on what I hear in your video:
If I were playing as a solo or in an ensemble where I could live in the staff most of the time, the Wild Thing would easily be my choice out of these horns. If I were in a larger section, such as a concert band from a Community College in Mesa, Arizona, I would try the 3X+ to see if it fit the section more uniformly and gave sufficient stability, accuracy and responsiveness to make it easier to balance than the WT. The other two horns would not make the cut for me.

*Out of the three or so original and unrestored Benge CGs I've sampled over the years, I have never played what I would call a really good one. Most recently, I played one that seemed in good condition, but it just didn't seem "together." This is in stark contrast to the Burbank CG and the reconditioned Benge CG I had Kanstul restore for a friend of mine. These two horns were the best playing Benge trumpets I've experience, save the one Chicago ML I had the pleasure of sampling some 13 years ago.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new hope on a WT resurgence?
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:
Any new hope on a WT resurgence?

Flip is retired. He may do instrument repair and still serve his existing customers, as much as he is able. I don't know what, if anything, he has arranged for the Wild Thing brand when he is no longer with us.

B.A.C. has developed what they think is a useful model utilizing the same mandrel that was used for the Wild Thing bell. It is a ML bore trumpet with double bracing on the tuning slide. It appears to pursue the tonal qualities of the WT, but in a more "controllable" package, meaning something that handles like a Bach, not the Benge form of the Wild Thing.

One might think it is more akin to "Killer," the pre-WT prototype, but Killer established the unique wrap for the line with an ML bore. B.A.C.' horn also differs from the Inspiration design.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: