• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Knowing / Blowing / Paralysis / Analysis - LEARNING

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject: Knowing / Blowing / Paralysis / Analysis - LEARNING Reply with quote

I'm starting this in response to a recent thread from a young player who might be having trouble due to NOT having a good foundation of 'embouchure technique'. (edited to change 'blowing technique' to 'embouchure technique').

I realize there are many ways to teach someone to DO proper technique.
I would like this discussion to not be about the teaching methods, but more about what (and how) the student learns.

MY view is that it is important for the student to:

Develop
Recognize
Remember
Repeat what was good

the physical feelings that are present with good technique - not necessarily being able to identify the physical or mechanical details.

What have you found to be effective for your own learning, and what seems to help students with their learning?
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better one can truly understand the aspects of one's technique, the more repeatable they become. With repetition comes habit formation.

Without understanding, we flounder.

The "end result" teaching of today will be seen by future generations as the dark ages of trumpet teaching.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I've found useful is watching yourself in a mirror to get an idea of what's going on relative to physical sensations. Often you can get a misguided notion of what you're doing. Recently in here someone talked about how their horn angle was perpendicular to the plane of their face - when they posted video they realized that wasn't the case at all.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bg wrote:
The better one can truly understand the aspects of one's technique, the more repeatable they become. With repetition comes habit formation.

The "end result" teaching of today will be seen by future generations as the dark ages of trumpet teaching.

Yep.
Nathan.Sobieralski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overlook the possibility that some students may not competently hear what they are doing, and therefore can not make a self-guided assessment or implement any meaningful change over time. The feedback loop of the ear, mind, and physical body must function correctly first!
Department of Music (Trumpet)
California State University, Fresno
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Knowing / Blowing / Paralysis / Analysis - LEARNING Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I would like this discussion to not be about the teaching methods, but more about what (and how) the student learns.

If I’m not mistaken it’s fairly well established in psychology/pedagogy that people learn in different ways. I specifically remember an excercise in highschool where we compared different means of memorizing lists of words either by reading, hearing, speaking or writing them, to discover which method was most effective. There was quite some variation amongst the students if I recall correctly.

Rather than finding a common ‘best practice’ that fits all students, adjusting the method to the individual student may yield better results (though admittedly, it means a lot more effort for the teacher).

It’s not impossible of course to learn through standardized methods, and there’s probably a lot of methods that’ll work well enough for the majority of students.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
rdpyle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Knowing / Blowing / Paralysis / Analysis - LEARNING Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
JayKosta wrote:

If I’m not mistaken it’s fairly well established in psychology/pedagogy that people learn in different ways. I specifically remember an excercise in highschool where we compared different means of memorizing lists of words either by reading, hearing, speaking or writing them, to discover which method was most effective. There was quite some variation amongst the students if I recall correctly.

Rather than finding a common ‘best practice’ that fits all students, adjusting the method to the individual student may yield better results (though admittedly, it means a lot more effort for the teacher).

It’s not impossible of course to learn through standardized methods, and there’s probably a lot of methods that’ll work well enough for the majority of students.

Many people believe that students benefit when taught with their preferred learning style, but the evidence supporting this claim is just not there. This article goes in depth about this:

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/journals/pspi/PSPI_9_3.pdf

More studies have shown that learning is optimized when the method of instruction is appropriate to the subject being taught. Dr. Dave Wilken (@wilktone here on TH) sums it up nicely in an article on his website:

https://wilktone.com/?p=5348

This is not to say that you should teach everyone the same way. Differentiation is critical, and teaching one-on-one makes doing that far easier than in a larger class setting.

Continuing on, there are many books that have shaped my approach to teaching, including:

Dweck, Carol S. Mindset: The New Psychology of Success

Ericsson, Anders and Pool, Robert Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise

Coyle, Daniel The Talent Code

Brown, Peter C., Roediger III, Henry L., and McDaniel, Mark A. Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning

Dehane, Stanislas How We Learn: Why Brains Learn Better Than Any Machine… for Now

All of these will help you and your students learn.

-Robin
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Knowing / Blowing / Paralysis / Analysis - LEARNING Reply with quote

rdpyle wrote:
Many people believe that students benefit when taught with their preferred learning style, but the evidence supporting this claim is just not there.

I stand corrected.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
rdpyle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Knowing / Blowing / Paralysis / Analysis - LEARNING Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
rdpyle wrote:
Many people believe that students benefit when taught with their preferred learning style, but the evidence supporting this claim is just not there.

I stand corrected.

I used to believe it, too. I was quite surprised to find out that it wasn't backed up by science.

-Robin
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Knowing / Blowing / Paralysis / Analysis - LEARNING Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
rdpyle wrote:

I stand corrected.

Actually, it is more nuanced than the black and white presentation that was previously linked.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/01/09/learning-styles-debate-its-instructors-vs-psychologists

To quote from the article:

Richard Felder, a professor emeritus of chemical engineering at North Carolina State University who has written in support of learning styles, said psychologists have spent decades working to debunk the theory. “On the other side are literally millions of people who have used learning styles to design instruction” and to help students become better learners, he said.

Advocates who understand learning styles insist that they represent “preferences,” not hard and fast lines that can't be crossed, he said. “The debunkers paint it as a black-and-white thing, that you’re either this or you’re that.” Meanwhile, good instructors “don’t heavily overload on one side or the other of any of these dimensions.”

"The idea is balance," Felder said.

Asking students to consider their own strengths and weaknesses is different from teaching solely to their strengths. Actually, he said, much of the research finding that catering to learning styles is ineffective begins from that mistaken premise: "The learning-styles debunkers are starting with their own definition of what learning styles mean and then debunking that -- but their definition of what learning styles mean is wrong.”

Jeff
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bg wrote:

Care to elaborate what you define as "end result" teaching? The sentence, as I'm interpreting it, has a BOLD claim and just curious if I'm reading it right.

For the OP:
As far as what the student learns -- I think the physical sensation of the embouchure at a young age is quite pointless to try and get the student to be aware of. They have so much to keep in their mind when first starting out. So the teacher keeping an eye on things as they progress and giving them exercises designed to develop the embouchure via..."end result" teaching lol. Additionally, the teachers perception of their own embouchure changes over time and also may not be the thing that is obvious about the perceptoin of the embouchure to another player. Physical sensation is not a great metric.

Advanced players with repeatable habits is a different story.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the "learning styles" differentiation model as it's commonly presented (either for or against) is a great proxy for learning or teaching the trumpet. When we talk about teaching by way of giving sound models vs. explaining physical sensations or interactions, we tend to frame the discussion in terms of the type of input different students require to learn, when the real difference is the material itself the students need to learn.

Sound-based instruction is definitely the most efficient way to teach many of the topics that fall purely within the domain of musicality (phrasing, vibrato, tone colour, etc.), where trying to describe things verbally or in tactile terms is often vague and massively complicated, but it's, at best, a scattershot approach to teaching solutions for embouchure problems. If someone happens to learn to play with a setup that uses a big aperture and a ton of pressure to close it to ascend, just telling them to listen to great sounds and imagine great sounds until they make one might happen to work sometimes (after all, even a broken clock is right twice a day...), but it's basically a really bad way to fix embouchure problems. (If you have any doubt about this, take a stroll over to the Reinhardt, or BE, or Callet forums and ask how many people strongly considered quitting the trumpet after being told sound was the solution to every problem, so when they didn't get better, they weren't doing it right.)

The issue isn't learning styles that require the same material to be presented in different ways - it's that there are a lot of quite different things that we have to do at the same time to be successful playing the trumpet, and people have problems with different parts of it.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, it is more nuanced than the black and white presentation that was previously linked.

Yes, there are subtle areas of disagreement among experts who devote their careers to studying teaching and learning. However, there is an overwhelming consensus that the catering your teaching to a student's supposed learning style is ineffective.

Quote:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/01/09/learning-styles-debate-its-instructors-vs-psychologists

To quote from the article:

Richard Felder, a professor emeritus of chemical engineering at North Carolina State University who has written in support of learning styles, said psychologists have spent decades working to debunk the theory.

The bulk of the above linked article depicts the expert consensus that learning styles are a waste of time and resources. I don't think the quote you pulled is an accurate summary of the overall thesis.

Journalists like to give drama to their stories, so they often go out of their way to get a quote from the opposite side. In this particular case the author, Greg Toppo, had to go to a chemical engineer to get a different opinion. With all due respect to Richard Felder, who has indeed written extensively about teaching STEM, I don't find Felder's essay that the article linked to compelling. Felder essentially redefines what "learning styles" are (he acknowledges in his essay that they are merely learning preferences). Felder also relies very heavily on the Myers–Briggs Type Indicator, which is similar to the learning styles hypothesis in that it is widely believed to be based on science but in reality has been thoroughly discredited.

Quote:
I don't think the "learning styles" differentiation model as it's commonly presented (either for or against) is a great proxy for learning or teaching the trumpet. When we talk about teaching by way of giving sound models vs. explaining physical sensations or interactions, we tend to frame the discussion in terms of the type of input different students require to learn, when the real difference is the material itself the students need to learn.

Exactly! Teaching and learning is multifaceted and teaching is best done when teaching in a way that is appropriate to the subject matter. This holds true of any subject, not just music.

Quote:
Quote:
bg wrote:

Care to elaborate what you define as "end result" teaching? The sentence, as I'm interpreting it, has a BOLD claim and just curious if I'm reading it right.

Brad will have to correct me if I have his viewpoint wrong, but I think that Steve has summarized it in his recent post.

Quote:
If someone happens to learn to play with a setup that uses a big aperture and a ton of pressure to close it to ascend, just telling them to listen to great sounds and imagine great sounds until they make one might happen to work sometimes (after all, even a broken clock is right twice a day...), but it's basically a really bad way to fix embouchure problems.

Historically, brass pedagogy tends to focus on letting the sound alone guide the body and encourages music students to remain ignorant of how we actually play the instrument in an efficient way. This idea has been shifting slowly, but it's still quite prevalent. Much like the learning styles hypothesis, there are some parts of this approach that have value, but when taken to their full conclusion don't help with teaching and learning as much as proponents feel.

Quote:
What have you found to be effective for your own learning, and what seems to help students with their learning?

As I alluded to above, I try to make my teaching multifaceted, while making my analysis and assessments as objective as possible. I teach complex motor skills by scaffolding small, attainable goals that work towards the bigger picture. There's a time and place for teaching students how to play and there's a time and place for helping them concentrate on musical expression. Finding the correct balance for the student at that particular stage in their development is easier said than done, but I see those as two sides of the same coin.

I've written fairly extensively on my thoughts on teaching brass embouchure, among other pedagogical topics, on my web site, if you want details.

Dave
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bg wrote:

A not so subtle dig at the William Adam school?
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan.Sobieralski wrote:
Don't overlook the possibility that some students may not competently hear what they are doing, and therefore can not make a self-guided assessment or implement any meaningful change over time. The feedback loop of the ear, mind, and physical body must function correctly first!

Excellent. And this should be the focus of the teacher.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:

Sound-based instruction is definitely the most efficient way to teach many of the topics that fall purely within the domain of musicality (phrasing, vibrato, tone colour, etc.), where trying to describe things verbally or in tactile terms is often vague and massively complicated, but it's, at best, a scattershot approach to teaching solutions for embouchure problems. If someone happens to learn to play with a setup that uses a big aperture and a ton of pressure to close it to ascend, just telling them to listen to great sounds and imagine great sounds until they make one might happen to work sometimes (after all, even a broken clock is right twice a day...), but it's basically a really bad way to fix embouchure problems. (If you have any doubt about this, take a stroll over to the Reinhardt, or BE, or Callet forums and ask how many people strongly considered quitting the trumpet after being told sound was the solution to every problem, so when they didn't get better, they weren't doing it right.)

The issue isn't learning styles that require the same material to be presented in different ways - it's that there are a lot of quite different things that we have to do at the same time to be successful playing the trumpet, and people have problems with different parts of it.

Bill Adam changed Herb Mueller’s embouchure in 90 minutes without saying a word.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
A not so subtle dig at the William Adam school?

I’m not sure how you got that impression. The concept that if you focus on what sound you’re striving for is not unique, or even original, to Adam.

I know from past discussions that some might misunderstand the point that I am trying to make here, so I want to make it clear that I find enormous value in this approach. However, I also find value in having an understanding of what good playing technique is too.

We can certainly disagree on what the balance of those approaches should be for any particular student. Hopefully we all agree that too much focus either is not good.

Quote:
Bill Adam changed Herb Mueller’s embouchure in 90 minutes without saying a word.

As I recall you prefer to help students with embouchure issues without actually telling them do do anything with their embouchures. Fair enough. What I am curious is your opinion on what teachers need to know about embouchure mechanics. Shouldn’t a good brass teacher be able to visually recognize both good and poor embouchure technique? If you agree, at what point in a music student’s studies would you address playing mechanics?

Dave
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:

Indeed, I've read references you've made here to this case and others. I'll be honest, I have a hard time believing that this would be an approach that would work for all kinds of embouchure problems, and all student levels, but there's no doubt that Mr. Adam was an extraordinary teacher, and also that some of his students have also applied his methods with great success.

However, I think you'll probably agree that, out of however many thousands of trumpet teachers there are in the world, the ability to hear, recognize, and demonstrate a sequence of different sounds that will reliably guide a student to a new model of playing without physical instruction is extraordinarily rare.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts:

What they call ‘educational science’ is in the end more a collection of opinions than real science;

IF there is some science in it it has to do with education to big groups like schoolclasses in some form;

I have 40 years of experience in handling ‘experts’ in educational science in endless sessions, the results are seldom proven let alone beneficiary;

Even serious products of what they call educational science are often abused by managers who us selective shopping out of those writings for mostly financial purposes;

Teaching to individuals, especially teaching a craft is completely different from teaching in a more collective form;

Posts on this forum are often products of well-meant hobbyisme but lack often background, knowledge and relevant experience;

So IMO those posts are in the end based on a serious lack of responsibility.

Experienced members on this forum know which posters here have good understanding and knowledge in this field. I am more worried about new members with serious problems who take all the answers here seriously.

BTW I am not at all qualified for teaching trumpet playing so I will never, never give anybody advice here on this subject.. My only wish is that others who are more or less in the same position would do the same.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Some thoughts:

What they call ‘educational science’ is in the end more a collection of opinions than real science;

IF there is some science in it it has to do with education to big groups like schoolclasses in some form;

I have 40 years of experience in handling ‘experts’ in educational science in endless sessions, the results are seldom proven let alone beneficiary;

Even serious products of what they call educational science are often abused by managers who us selective shopping out of those writings for mostly financial purposes;

Teaching to individuals, especially teaching a craft is completely different from teaching in a more collective form;

Posts on this forum are often products of well-meant hobbyisme but lack often background, knowledge and relevant experience;

So IMO those posts are in the end based on a serious lack of responsibility.

Experienced members on this forum know which posters here have good understanding and knowledge in this field. I am more worried about new members with serious problems who take all the answers here seriously.

BTW I am not at all qualified for teaching trumpet playing so I will never, never give anybody advice here on this subject.. My only wish is that others who are more or less in the same position would do the same.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: