• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dillon Rose Brass Flugelhorn Review

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Dillon Rose Brass Flugelhorn Review Reply with quote

I bought one of these this week. Here are my impressions ...

Pros:
Visual appeal
Intonation
Playability
Slotting
Trigger ergonomics
Price

Cons:
Top and bottom cap threads need to be broken in with light grease
Valves need to be broken in

Summary:
This horn plays better and has better intonation than the Adams Sonic I owned last year. The Sonic cost me over $2000 USD. The Dillon ... $475. The Dillon is very easy to play; the notes speak effortlessly. I haven't been able to put the thing down. An unstamped, generic mouthpiece was included — it actually plays quite nicely. I plan to be gentle with the threads on the caps until they break in. The valves were slow the first day but have improved.
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. I am interested.

Anyone else have thoughts?
ACB Doublers flugel
Olds Recording trumpet
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t recall having problems with the valves, but I offer similar praise for the instrument. I now play on a Yamaha 635T, but I’m keeping the Dillon in case colleague or student ever needs to borrow one. With how inexpensive they are new, I doubt I’d get a good enough return selling it secondhand anyway.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nixer wrote:
Thanks for the review. I am interested.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Is there any reason to think it isn't a custom-badged stencilhorn exactly like those that go on eBay for around $350 - $380 these days? The two I've had played great. When I got mine they were going for around $300, they've gone up a bit since then.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

Is there any reason to think it isn't a custom-badged stencilhorn exactly like those that go on eBay for around $350 - $380 these days? The two I've had played great. When I got mine they were going for around $300, they've gone up a bit since then.

It probably starts at the same factory, but when the shops that resell them (like Dillon) get them they make sure that they actually work (and sometimes do tweaks/cleanup/etc.). The quality out of the factory can vary pretty wildly, so you might get a great deal off ebay, you might get a no-warranty clunker that repair techs won't touch
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say, I picked up a used Dillon flugel with rosebrass bell a couple weeks ago and I am VERY impressed. I can't remember a flugel that plays this well in tune. My valves were already broken in, although mine shows very little wear. Where I often struggle tuning notes with previous flugels - I'm just not having these problems with this Dillon flugel. Great thread - glad it was started.

I'll post two vids of this flugel, one video review I did recently just for this flugel, and then another where I also play a CarolBrass Andrea Giuffredi trumpet and a Puje; just to give comparison to tone. I'm not the greatest player here at TH - by a long shot, but sometimes it's nice to hear the subject at hand.

Link

Link

Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagmangood makes an excellent point above. I’ve had three of the old Yamaha flugels; two 731’s and one 631. I think there’s always been a copy-cat mentality to manufacturing, and it makes sense; ‘work smart, not hard.’ But Dillon’s flugel, which appears to be a close copy of the old Yammie faithful flugel, well, it just plays better in tune. I’m not sure if it’s the different leadpipe, but whatever they did, to me they’ve solved the traditional flugel intonation problem.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
Robert P wrote:

It probably starts at the same factory, but when the shops that resell them (like Dillon) get them they make sure that they actually work (and sometimes do tweaks/cleanup/etc.). The quality out of the factory can vary pretty wildly, so you might get a great deal off ebay, you might get a no-warranty clunker that repair techs won't touch

I guess I got lucky. I got two just out of curiosity to see what two different horns made at different times sounded & played like. One I got used for about $150, it was missing one of the faux mother of pearl valve button inlays and the trigger pivot had been resoldered.

I found the button inlay that had somehow gotten trapped in the fold of the case liner between the halves of the case. Glued it back in place. Other than the solder it was in new condition. There were some minor construction differences, the bell on one was a slightly different diameter - maybe 1/8" difference. Both had fast, buttery smooth bottom-spring valves. I ended up selling the $150 horn because I didn't need two, ended up getting $100 more than what I paid for it. It must put me in a small club, people who've resold a cosmetically flawed Chinese cheapie stencilflugel and made $100 profit - lol.

I was very clear about the issue with the solder, put up clear photos and made sure potential buyers were aware of it. I think what helped was embedding a video with decent audio of it being played, demonstrating that it was capable of sounding nice, eliminating the pig in a poke factor. Someone bought it for their son for jazz band in school. Hopefully they got some good use out of it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, that’s good luck. Have you had as good a luck with your Chinese C and your Chinese rotary trumpets?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
Robert, that’s good luck. Have you had as good a luck with your Chinese C and your Chinese rotary trumpets?

That Chinese C also has fantastic valves. The one issue was it played a bit low when I first got it, with the tuning slide all the way in it played *almost* in tune. I reamed out the mouthpiece receiver to move it in on the leadpipe and shorten the horn a tad and it's fine now - plays in tune with the tuning slide out a "normal" amount. Worked out for me because it was a good project to learn to solder on. Soldering the receiver wasn't a problem but my first attempt at reattaching the brace was a blobby mess - lol. I re-did it with refined technique and it came out much nicer. Someone who didn't want to do that might have regarded it as a lemon. But for $298 and a little work I got a nice playing, nice sounding horn. I think it was a QC issue - originally the mouthpiece gap was huge - I just moved the receiver to where it was supposed to have been put in the first place. Maybe someone grabbed a wrong receiver out of a bin?

The rotary picc sounds fine, the main problem is that it's a rotary. I find the rotary valves more cumbersome than my Eterna 940 picc. It's the only rotary I've ever played. Admittedly I've never played a high-end rotary picc to compare the valve action. I've had -0- actual performance need for either, got them just for giggles but who knows.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the valves and the casings a good cleaning over the weekend. The valves run much faster now.

BlowDry Brass has pulled a bunch of black gunk out of the horn.

The monel (according to Dillon) valves have some funny swirls in the metal, but it doesn't affect performance.

A Stork Studio Master FLS6 arrived in the mail on Saturday. The improvement in tone is dramatic.
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:

I'll post two vids of this flugel, one video review I did recently just for this flugel, and then another where I also play a CarolBrass Andrea Giuffredi trumpet and a Puje

Many thanks, Jonathan. It was your review of this horn that prompted me to purchase one.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure! I’ve benefited SO much from TH and the wealth of knowledge here. It’s great to be able to pay back some.

And I’m glad you started this thread. Great value horns help us all.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the one I bought for my son. It's an interesting comparison against my Yamaha 731. I like them both for different reasons.

edit: Scratch that. It's the ACB doubler that I have. I don't have experience with the Dillon horn.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rance

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: Dillon Rose Brass Flugelhorn Reply with quote

I've been thinking about a cheap flugelhorn. The Dillon model seems to be perfect. How does it compare to the cheap ACB model?
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played an ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn, although I've read good things about it.

I purchased the Dillon Rosebrass flugel a couple weeks ago from a local seller (used but very good condition), and have been very pleasantly surprised with it. Intonation (my primary concern with ALL flugels) has been shockingly good, valves have a very good feel and the third slide trigger works easily and well.

ACB Doubler Price: $749 - $799
Dillon Brass or RoseBrass Flugel Price: $475

I think you can see why the Dillon flugel is attracting some attention.
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting aside ...

I've been learning Line For Lyons as recorded by Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker. The main line has some tricky [for me] fingerings that I had some trouble with on my trumpet. My third/ring finger was the problem. But the first time I played the line on the Dillon, I nailed it. It was suddenly easy.

Crazy.

Different valve action, I guess.
Flugel Living

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic piqued my interest, and so I bought one of these.

The horn plays great. As stated, the intonation is quite good.

I'm having a similar issue getting the upper valve caps to screw onto the casings. The threads don't seem to want to line up. It's, well, annoying.

Two of the "pearl" finger buttons were convex and too tall. My fingers wanted to slip off of them. I sanded them down. Huge improvement.

Other than the valve caps, it is performing flawlessly. The valves are fine.
drmayne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but what morse mouthpiece does this flugelhorn take - Dillon's website doesn't list much info at all on the $475 one. The Opus one at $895 says small morse (Bach) taper.

Thanks
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not home at the moment, but I believe it takes a Bach type.

Having said this, Mark Curry is only making one taper now - and it's supposed to fit all. I've got flugel mouthpieces by about 7 different makers, and several fit and offer good intonation with this. Surprisingly, the best fit I have is with a Marcinkiwiscz (sp?).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: