• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To freak or not to freak

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
number juan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: To freak or not to freak Reply with quote

Do you think some people are just freaks at playing high, or do you think they just happened to learn to play with their lips in the perfect place for developing an extreme register? So natural gift, or just luck?
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's practice, how you practice, when you practice, how much you practice, and learning to use your air, etc. Having a good, and the right, teacher helps too. No secret, just like the virtuoso, they have to work at it too. GI GO, garbage in garbage out. You get out of it what you put into it. I got more range when I got the right teacher. After that, and if you really want it, it's the time you put in. A good lead player has the lead player mentality. If you practice 1 hr. a day and expect to be THE lead player, you will have trouble. Natural ability is fine, but you still have to work. It's playing right and the right way. Read books by Roger Ingram, Claude Gordor, Bill Knivitt, and John Lynch. Oh, almost forgot, look up Lynn Nicholson, he's got some stuff he put out recently. You will find many things in common like working properly and using the tongue and air properly, practice, and rest.

I can play high notes when needed, I'm not an extreme player and most of my work is high E and below. But these freaks of nature, practice to be that way. Anyway, this is what I have read and observed and I have worked with some great lead players and have heard them practice, practice, practice.

Just some thought, Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add listening to those that do it. Check some of the YouTube clinics too.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe your assumption that some players "just happened to learn to play with their lips in the perfect place" is a huge simplification of playing the instrument at all, but especially in the higher register. So much more emphasis needs to be placed on proper breathing- air in, efficiently-directed wind out. There are many types of embouchure sets but the common denominator to playing, regardless of set, mouthpiece or instrument is the free and uninterrupted flow of air to produce and move the pulsations. And there are an almost infinite number of ways in which individuals can restrict that flow without realizing it.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was young, I had a natural high register. Never had to work on it.

Now that I'm in my 30's, I find that I have to practice my high register if I'm going to be able to use it on the gig.
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to play accurately and musically in the upper register is a skill that requires practice, however I believe some are born with certain physical attributes that make it easier in the beginning. It's a hotly contested topic, but I think dental structure is a big part of it. How else do you explain guys like Wayne Bergeron that could "play" double C's at the age of 12? Others like Maynard, Jon Faddis, Roger Ingram, etc. all had exceptional ranges by the time they were in their early teens. The key to their success however was the amount of practice they applied on top of their physical gifts. I also agree that the average person without the ideal physical attributes can learn to play in the upper register, it just takes more time and effort than those that won the lottery with a natural set-up.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
rebus9

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:
Being able to play accurately and musically in the upper register is a skill that requires practice, however I believe some are born with certain physical attributes that make it easier in the beginning. It's a hotly contested topic, but I think dental structure is a big part of it. How else do you explain guys like Wayne Bergeron that could "play" double C's at the age of 12? Others like Maynard, Jon Faddis, Roger Ingram, etc. all had exceptional ranges by the time they were in their early teens. The key to their success however was the amount of practice they applied on top of their physical gifts. I also agree that the average person without the ideal physical attributes can learn to play in the upper register, it just takes more time and effort than those that won the lottery with a natural set-up.

Yep. And it seems many of us (me included) will never achieve through years of faithful and deliberate practice, what some possess naturally.

I know a couple guys that just naturally play high G and above. They didn't work for it. Once they mastered the basic buzz of trumpet playing, their range was virtually unlimited from the very start. I've seen people who haven't yet mastered the fingering, who can blow well above high C with virtually no effort.

I believe my dental structure is holding me back. I have a couple of crooked teeth that hit the back of my lips in the middle of my embouchure, which I feel interfere with the free buzzing of my chops. Nothing I can do about that except braces, which at my age.... no thanks.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: To freak or not to freak Reply with quote

number juan wrote:
Do you think some people are just freaks at playing high, or do you think they just happened to learn to play with their lips in the perfect place for developing an extreme register? So natural gift, or just luck?

Yes
TrumpetBoy907

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I did have an extremely easy time with the upper register within 3-4 months of starting trumpet, but to solidify the upper register and to be able to bust notes out (tastefully, that is ) it took (and still takes) a massive amount of practice.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some players have a natural advantage in producing the high register due to mechanical advantages inherent in their physiology. We've all known "freaks" who seem to be able to easily produce isolated high notes outside of a musical context. That being said, no player becomes accomplished in producing the high register in a highly accurate and consistent way within a musical context without an extensive amount of practice.
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebus9 wrote:
I believe my dental structure is holding me back. I have a couple of crooked teeth that hit the back of my lips in the middle of my embouchure, which I feel interfere with the free buzzing of my chops.

I'm obviously not familiar with your personal situation, but wanted to clarify that the ideal dental structure (IMO) isn't a line-up of perfectly straight teeth. In fact, all the notable high note guys typically place the mouthpiece on top of an irregular, non-flat section of their dental structure. It's the irregularity, typically a high point, that they anchor the mouthpiece onto that frees up the vibration. A gap can serve the same purpose, ala Bergeron and Faddis. We've all heard the legend about a Maynard fan having a gap artificially created between his two center teeth to replicate Maynard's, only to discover that Maynard had his closed up via caps! Ouch.

Speaking of which, while Maynard's teeth were relatively even, he did have a noticeable high-point off to the right where he'd set-up. He achieved some success with it.

[/img]
Holton MF3
rebus9

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:
rebus9 wrote:
I believe my dental structure is holding me back. I have a couple of crooked teeth that hit the back of my lips in the middle of my embouchure, which I feel interfere with the free buzzing of my chops.

I'm obviously not familiar with your personal situation, but wanted to clarify that the ideal dental structure (IMO) isn't a line-up of perfectly straight teeth.

Mine is a lower tooth that's crowded on both sides, such that it sticks out while the 2 adjacent teeth slightly overlap it on the back side. Looks like this, where the top of the diagram is inside the mouth and the bottom makes contact with the mp rim. --_-- The one tooth that sticks out falls inside the cup. It's not dramatic, but just enough to "feel" like it's causing some degree of interference that prevents chops from freely buzzing.

Upper teeth are slightly uneven, less dramatic than the lower row, but similarly the high point falls inside the mp cup while the rim rests on low spots. If I moved the mp placement to the left or right enough to put the high spot on the rim, the horn would probably be at a 30º angle.

I know someone with a gap between his front teeth, and he's a high note beast. Spent years as a lead player at Disney. Not Chad Shoopman, but in the same league. True story-- one year he got the 2 teeth bonded to close the gap purely for cosmetic reasons, never thinking it would affect his playing. He had a gig that evening. Went home from the dentist to run his warm-up routine and realized he couldn't play a single note. Nothing came out. Fortunately the dentist was a friend of the family. He called the dentist at home, told him of the emergency (gig that evening), and the dentist met him at the office to grind away the bonding material. He went on to play the gig as usual with the gap restored.

Last edited by rebus9 on Thu May 12, 2016 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:
Being able to play accurately and musically in the upper register is a skill that requires practice, however I believe some are born with certain physical attributes that make it easier in the beginning.

I agree that it's both. It's a combination of a natural gift, which is brought out through hard work and practice.

Mike[/u]
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar structure on my bottom teeth. I had my dentist (a fellow trumpet player) take the sharp edge off the protruding tooth. I also had him bevel/round the lower edge of my two center top teeth, all of which reduced the gouging on the inside of my lips when I'm playing hard. Took 30 seconds during a routine check-up. Everyone is different, but it helped me.
Holton MF3
eviln3d

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started playing trumpet I could hit a g above high c in the first week playing... I think it was because I started trumpet at an older age and had been a flute and piccolo player for several years before so I had very good breathing and well developed muscles in my embouchure from playing a flute and piccolo... I don't think it is freakish to play high notes.

I just don't think some people ever really develop the right muscles in their mouth. Probably in some instances it is because they developed a habit of just using more pressure against their mouth with the horn to get a sound early on and if that's what you do there is a limit to how hard you can pressure the mouthpiece and how high you will ever get from playing that way.

I think anyone can develop a high range if they approach it the right way.
rebus9

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eviln3d wrote:
I just don't think some people ever really develop the right muscles in their mouth. Probably in some instances it is because they developed a habit of just using more pressure against their mouth with the horn to get a sound early on and if that's what you do there is a limit to how hard you can pressure the mouthpiece and how high you will ever get from playing that way.

I'm having serious doubts, and am starting to believe physical (facial, dental) structure can hinder or prevent some people from reaching into the upper register.

For years I've done everything I'm supposed to. I have built up a strong "donut" using isometric exercises (pencil exercises, Warburton PETE, etc.) to where I can make the muscles pop out. I work daily on pedal tones, long tones, flexibility, lip slurs, scales, octave jumps, glissandos, "whisper" notes, and a dozen other things the "pros" talk about in their videos. I have enough high-note method books (Jerome Callet, Walt Johson, and others) to wallpaper my house.

I stay relaxed and focus on technique. Embouchure, breathing, tongue arch, not too much pressure, focused air stream, "fogging the leadpipe", etc. etc. etc. Not once in a while, but regular daily practice with appropriate warm-up and warm-down at each end.

And all I get is... older. I can't break that glass ceiling to save my life.

_
eviln3d

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebus9 wrote:
eviln3d wrote:

I'm having serious doubts, and am starting to believe physical (facial, dental) structure can hinder or prevent some people from reaching into the upper register.

For years I've done everything I'm supposed to. I have built up a strong "donut" using isometric exercises (pencil exercises, Warburton PETE, etc.) to where I can make the muscles pop out. I work daily on pedal tones, long tones, flexibility, lip slurs, scales, octave jumps, glissandos, "whisper" notes, and a dozen other things the "pros" talk about in their videos. I have enough high-note method books (Jerome Callet, Walt Johson, and others) to wallpaper my house.

I stay relaxed and focus on technique. Embouchure, breathing, tongue arch, not too much pressure, focused air stream, "fogging the leadpipe", etc. etc. etc. Not once in a while, but regular daily practice with appropriate warm-up and warm-down at each end.

And all I get is... older. I can't break that glass ceiling to save my life.

_

What is your range right now versus when you started chasing high notes? Just curious if you've made any progress.

Also what is the highest pitch you can just buzz your lips at with no mouthpiece.... If you can get a high pitch with no mouthpiece you can get it with the mouthpiece...

As for gimmicks like the pencil exercise... Sorry but I don't see that as making much sense at all. Before I would do that I would suggest you learn to play a flute, the embouchure and air stream used to play a flute is much more useful in playing a trumpet than learning to hold a pencil in your lips.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I firmly believe a few things about high chops:

You "discover" high chops. You don't build strength. Total myth. You might build endurance from repetition but you don't build muscle for high notes.

Once you have "muscle memory" you know where the notes sit. How to fix your chops, tongue, compression, and channel you air ....personal journey you gave to find for yourself.

Resistance and compression are good things.

Big lung capacity, more air, yoga breath....all unnecessary or overrated.

Less is more.

Relax.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:
rebus9 wrote:

I'm obviously not familiar with your personal situation, but wanted to clarify that the ideal dental structure (IMO) isn't a line-up of perfectly straight teeth. In fact, all the notable high note guys typically place the mouthpiece on top of an irregular, non-flat section of their dental structure. It's the irregularity, typically a high point, that they anchor the mouthpiece onto that frees up the vibration. A gap can serve the same purpose, ala Bergeron and Faddis. We've all heard the legend about a Maynard fan having a gap artificially created between his two center teeth to replicate Maynard's, only to discover that Maynard had his closed up via caps! Ouch.

Speaking of which, while Maynard's teeth were relatively even, he did have a noticeable high-point off to the right where he'd set-up. He achieved some success with it.

[/img]

Those aren't Maynard's teeth. All caps. He was always self conscious about his overbite, big , and crooked teeth. Had the dental work mid 70s.

His original choppers were big ol horse teeth.
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a friend in middle school. He got braces about 8th grade. He never had super high chops. Got rid of the braces and within months could scream double Cs. This to me is good evidence that the dental structure can be a help in producing these notes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: