• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schenkelaars Prestige: Actually really good! Try if you can!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony125

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject: Schenkelaars Prestige: Actually really good! Try if you can! Reply with quote

Hi,

I think the Schenkelaar trumpets, specifically the Prestige and Prestige Royal's, are actually very good and you might be missing a great bargain if you dismiss them altogether.

Let me explain:
I've been playing for almost 30 years now, owned some horns through the years (Jupiter's, Bach's, Yamaha's), now settled on some very nice Selmer horns (B700 and B900 Lightweight large bore)...

Was looking for an 'extra' horn, just to have on the stand ready in the practice room....

Here in The Netherlands you can find a lot of "Schenkelaars" trumpets. Most of them, especially the real older ones are just not very good. In fact, Schenkelaars has had a bad rep here in The Netherlands, they went out of business many years ago partly because of that.

However... I heard and read that the last years of production, just before they sold their ecquipment to Adams (all known by most of you I think) they renewed their trumpet line completely and that the Schenkelaars Prestige, Prestige Royal and their Topaz lines were apperently quite good... It was in the years that I believe Hub van Laar also worked there (but correct me if I am wrong). Anyway, they went ouf of business, still having a bad rep.

Though never able to play one of these later modeles, but that changed when I found a used but in very good condition Schenkelaars Prestige model for only 100,- euro's on our local Craigslist (Marktplaats) and some time later a Prestige Royal for the same amount. What could go wrong... I bought both .

Now almost a year later and I have to say these are not bad horns at all! In fact I quite like how they play, they are obviously very well made; reverse leadpipe, third and first valve ring, good and fast valves, very good construction and good quality laquer. They are as far as I am concerned at least on par with the better Yamaha's one can buy. I would perhaps go as far as to call them pro horns. I really enjoy playing them and feel in no way restriced by them in any way. I don't mind taking them out to a gig.

In fact, that's what I turned out to be doing from time to time because they play just very well while at the same time they are not as valuable as my Selmers. Gives some piece of mind...

I would doubt taking them when recording or being in a spot where a lot of solo work expected because I still like the sound, feeling and valves of my Selmers a bit more.

I was wondering if anyone here has the same (or different) experience with specifically the Schenkelaars Prestige or Prestige Royal (or perhaps the Topaz) line? or any other information on these models. If so, please share.

And an advice, if you can try a Prestige or Prestige Royal yourself, just do so. I think you will be surprised and perhaps walk out of the store with a real bargain.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Schenkelaars Leverancier voor het Nederlandsche Leger Reply with quote

When I was young our community band -fanfare orchester- played exclusifly on Schenkelaars brass and woodwind (saxophones). We borrowed this instruments so we didn't have to buy any of them.
The quality was very low, no triggers on either 1st or 3th valves, the cornets where Olds Ambassador stencils, made out of the cheapest available materials so red rot was not uncommon...
The fact that the major of the band was playing a Besson London trumpet can make you thinking
Years later I went to the conservatory and was actually surprised that one of the older students mentioned that the Schenkelaars flugelhorns actually where fine instruments, this I kept in my memory and by the time I had to buy one I spotted on the Marktplaats a Schenkelaars Prestige flugelhorn for a real good price (€100.- postage included). I ordered the instrument and was impressed by the quality both qua construction and soundwise: Very good
The bad reputation of Schenkelaars is actually a typical Dutch thing: we don't like our own products, we have allways the thought that quality is just made in other countrys -apart for bicycles-.
Indeed the late Hub van Laar had a relationship with Schenkelaars, he learned the trade in this company! He told me that even the valves where made indoors at Schenkelaars, I was very impressed.
Still you can find Schenkelaars trumpets at Marktplaats for very reasonable prices though Prestige and Royal Prestige are kinda rare. Topaz is more often in the collection
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Here, Schenkelaars come up from time to time but they are either in bad shape or (what I think) overpriced. Currently observing a Prestige flugelhorn, but at 450 EUR I'm thinking this is too much.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Currently observing a Prestige flugelhorn, but at 450 EUR I'm thinking this is too much.

Actually it is a good price considered the quality of the Prestige line. When you want to go cheaper you have to check www.marktplaats.nl since we Dutch do not believe in ourselfs
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know I’m pretty happy with my K&H but find the Prestige looks quite pretty. My Dutch is rather crappy so I haven’t explored marktplaats yet.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Tony125

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But did the Schenkelaars ever sell outside The Netherlands? At least not al lot I suspect. I have seen some of them abroad on websites like reverb.com, but did they really export beyond Europe?

It would be nice if someone like Austin from Austin customm brass would (https://www.austincustombrass.biz/)review one to see what he thinks. I always like to see if he reviews some unknown of not widely known trumpet that he has for sale on his youtube channel, ... And he has experience with Dutch trumpet makers like Adams and Hub van laar.

Oh well, as far as I am concerned it's good to see that apparently some good bargains can still be bought by them who look for them.
Tony125

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh really, did Hub van Laar pass away? Wasn't aware of that, that's sad, unexpected and quite young I think? Sad to hear...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: