• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Change bell to your trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vagvagvag

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Change bell to your trumpet Reply with quote

Hello guys, is anybody changed the bell of his trumpet? I have a copper bell and I want to put a Carol Brass yellow brass bell. And if yes , did he have positive results? Because some friends tell me that it will be disaster.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did discuss this with my trumpet tech a while back and he suggested that some bells would work quite well, while other wouldn’t work for replacements. It depends on the horn/bell combo.

The specific horn in question was a Blessing student horn and he said that the Blessings are modeled after Bach trumpets. So if you are so inclined you could probably exchange a Blessing bell for a Bach bell (or the leadpipes or tuning slides - indeed my Bach tuning slide fits my Blessing trumpet as far as the tube diameter goes). Of course the cost of a Bach bell would then exceed the cost of the whole Blessing trumpet

Why do you want to replace a copper bell?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry

Last edited by Brassnose on Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only put a different bell on a trumpet if I had an amazing bell "lying around", say a vintage Benge bell (where the original valve section is beyond repair). In that case I might ask a tech to find a suitable valve section from an instrument that would match the bell.

In your case, I would find a trumpet you really like and then sell your present horn without experiments that might not go anywhere.

BTW, the worst instrument I ever played on was a light and tight Schilke valve/mouthpiece/tuning slide section soldiered onto a heavy Bach 25 bell. It had a sound like a chainsaw. Ouch.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a critical relationship between the tapers of the leadpipe and the tapers of the bell. Additionally, a bell that alters the degree of conicity after the valves will impact the overall character of the bore profile and thus tone. Finally, if the bell is significantly different in mass, that can have unpredictable results in conjunction with the system as a whole.

Otherwise, sure, no biggie...

(Yes, I have mixed bells with pipes, etc. not designed for them. Even with careful planning, some worked out surprisingly well, others not so much. The horn is a complex system)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
chase1973
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice from oldschooleuph...it depends on the model and brand...a great player here in Fl. put a Calicchio bell on another brand of Trumpet with results he really liked but I think it's hit or miss...Doc used to have Bach 37 bells soldered onto his Getzen 900s horns...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: