• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul 900 Thoughts/Impressions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtownlead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Kanstul 900 Thoughts/Impressions Reply with quote

Hello, looking for impressions on the Kanstul 900. Sound profile, intonation, blow, comparisons to other horns, etc.

Appreciate it!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Kanstul 900 Thoughts/Impressions Reply with quote

gtownlead wrote:
Hello, looking for impressions on the Kanstul 900. Sound profile, intonation, blow, comparisons to other horns, etc.

Appreciate it!

I’ve had only one short experience with the 900. I compared it at the NAMM show alongside the 1001. Also, if you look closely at the specs on the Kanstul website, you might notice that the 900 and 700 are different only in the lead pipe configuration. With a little bit of insider information, you might see that the X-Model uses the very same bell, lead pipe, bore and configuration as the 900 in Kanstul’s Besson architecture with the addition of Byron Autrey’s Harmonic Balancers.

This means that the 900 plays and sounds very much like both the X-Model and 700, which are among Kanstul’s very best ML bore trumpets. It has a free feel to the blow, slotting is sufficiently positive, but not overly so, and the timbre is very versatile.

My impression of the 900 is that it, along with the 700, reflects Zig Kanstul’s involvement with Olds. I might be wrong, but I thing it’s where the Olds legacy lived on.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... if you look closely at the specs on the Kanstul website, you might notice that the 900 and 700 are different only in the lead pipe configuration. With a little bit of insider information, you might see that the X-Model uses the very same bell, lead pipe, bore and configuration as the 900 in Kanstul’s Besson architecture with the addition of Byron Autrey’s Harmonic Balancers.

This means that the 900 plays and sounds very much like both the X-Model and 700, which are among Kanstul’s very best ML bore trumpets. It has a free feel to the blow, slotting is sufficiently positive, but not overly so, and the timbre is very versatile.

My impression of the 900 is that it, along with the 700, reflects Zig Kanstul’s involvement with Olds. I might be wrong, but I thing it’s where the Olds legacy lived on.

Just to clarify, the 900 and the 700 were classified by Kanstul as "intermediate" level horns, but were built with the same standards as any other instrument in the line.

They were essentially the same horn with two variations:
1. the 700 had a two piece bell - the 900 had a one piece bell;
2. the 700 had a standard leadpipe - the 900 had a reversed leadpipe.

FWIW, the Besson 800 "International" was a 700/900 hybrid. The Besson had the standard leadpipe of the 700 and the one-piece bell of the 900.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've play-tested dozens of 900s. When I had active student studios in Riverside & Hemet, CA., I was able to set up many of my students with 900s.

Even tho it was marketed as an "intermediate" horn, like all of Zig's horns - it played much better than niche in which it was labeled.

As most every other trumpet maker has a "reverse lead pipe" option, Zig decided that his contribution to that market segment would be his model 900.

The 900 is a solid-playing horn with versatility to fit into any performance situation.

Gotta say - one of the perks of being sent out as a Kanstul factory rep to many industry and music educator conventions was seeing the looks on players faces after they had played just a few notes on any Kanstul horn. Not "aHA!" faces...more like "dayyyyuuuummmmnnnn - this horn plays nice!!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
jamel_tza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Kanstul 900 Reply with quote

I have the 900. It’s a terrific horn. It’s incredibly responsive, so much so that whisper tones are remarkably difficult for me. Everything else though is very easy to play. Sometimes it feels like if I just think of a note I’m playing it. The upper register is just as easy. The blow is very comfortable and I’ve never had to think much about how I approach playing it.

It is often compared to the Besson 800 International. I have both and while they are similar in quite a few ways, I’ve always felt the 900 was better. They share the same valve section and probably the same bell but there are a couple of other subtle differences. I haven’t had a chance to play them back to back in a long time but I’ll give it a shot within the next week and share some feedback.

Take all of this with a grain of salt though as I’m an amateur player.
jamel_tza

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick follow up to my previous reply. I haven’t had much time to play so far this week so this will be short.

The biggest difference between the two horns is the blow. Besson international has a little more resistance. The slotting on 900 is a little different, I can’t put my finger on what it is.

Mouthpieces make a big difference on both horns, it’s easy to go from sizzle, to symphonic, to smokey with the change of a mouthpiece.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamel_tza wrote:
The biggest difference between the two horns is the blow. Besson international has a little more resistance. The slotting on 900 is a little different, I can’t put my finger on what it is.

From my experience with the Kanstul 900, both in playing it and hearing others play it, is it has less resistance than other horns. Many people attribute that to the reverse tuning slide design of the 900.

As far as putting your finger on it...just play the horn. You'll find its quirks & sweet spots and eventually not give those any more thought. Enjoy what the horn lets you do!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
jamel_tza

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
jamel_tza wrote:

From my experience with the Kanstul 900, both in playing it and hearing others play it, is it has less resistance than other horns. Many people attribute that to the reverse tuning slide design of the 900.

As far as putting your finger on it...just play the horn. You'll find its quirks & sweet spots and eventually not give those any more thought. Enjoy what the horn lets you do!

Wise words thanks, Tim - I’ll certainly continue to enjoy playing it.
gtownlead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, appreciate the responses. Are there any horns you would compare the 900 to sound wise?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: