• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

P Mauriat Selloff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: P Mauriat Selloff Reply with quote

Greetings, folks. First off, I think I've found some good values for those who might be interested. I'm not making a penny off any sales - but I am trying to share some info and a good deal.

A few weeks ago, a friend here at TH (gregplo) introduced me to a couple of new P Mauriat trumpets he had. I was very impressed; one had a Titanium/Copper bell and leadpipe, and the other was basically brass. Both were built with a system that allowed the bells and leadpipes to be interchanged using a 5/64" hex tool.

Greg had bought his from Quinn, who has a stellar history of used and new horns a very appealing prices; I bought a very well used Strad from him years ago; the trumpet arrived just as he'd advertised and pictured it. While Quinn didn't have any P Mauriat trumpets when I began looking in December, he received some a week or so ago. I purchased and just got in my 'P Mauriat PMT-75TLB' (T=Titanium/Copper L=Leadpipe B=Bell); so my horn has the Titanium/Copper leadpipe and bell in lacquer.

There are several threads here at TH, some around 10 years old, about these P Mauriat horns. I believe that these P Mauriat horns use Hoxon Gakki valve blocks, so a good valve action is a given. For those who like a powerful, carrying sound, the Titanium/Copper might be a benefit. For those liking a warmer sound, the brass pieces might offer more. The prices will benefit anyone.

Here's the link to Quinn's selection of these P Mauriat trumpets:
https://www.brassandwinds.com/search?q=P%20Mauriat%20trumpet%20*&type=product

Here's a quick review of the P Mauriat trumpet I recently purchased. It's still new to me, but I think it's a fine horn and a very good value.

Link

At about 9 minutes, my friend Greg Plo shows his Mauriat horns in this video. I was really impressed with the sound he got with his horn - which is why I bought mine.

Link

Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
quinntheeskimo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words! We bought a large closeout lot of these as the current distributor has decided to stop carrying them and have them price for sale at well below than MSRP. We have about 70 of these left but when they are gone, they're gone! You can see them here:

https://www.brassandwinds.com/collections/trumpets-cornets-flugelhorns/brand-p-mauriat?sort_by=title-ascending

And as always, Trumpet Herald users and their friends and students can take 12% off the price of open box and closeout trumpets (Mauriat included!) with the checkout code TRUMPETHERALD12

I'd love to answer any questions about these great horns!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well- I'd ask a question via the link provided but it claims my phone # is invalid...

If you're out there Quinn: 515-314-2858. It works everywhere but your site, I guess.
quinntheeskimo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Well- I'd ask a question via the link provided but it claims my phone # is invalid...

If you're out there Quinn: 515-314-2858. It works everywhere but your site, I guess.

Weird! Calling you now
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinn; Very kind of you to state the 12% off - especially off open box and closeout prices. Thank you!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quinntheeskimo wrote:
...https://www.brassandwinds.com/collections/trumpets-cornets-flugelhorns/brand-p-mauriat?sort_by=title-ascending
I'd love to answer any questions about these great horns!

Reread thread and got more clarity.

Last edited by dstpt on Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the L is leadpipe. So, you can get:
All yellow brass
Brass bell, titanium leadpipe
Titanium bell, brass leadpipe
Titanium bell and leadpipe

The titanium (if not plated) is a slightly different color in the picture.

I've tried them before and really like them. I think Jonathan's review is good and he talks about how the layout of the rings on the 1st/3rd slide is a little funny (I found the third slide ring to also be on the small side). They also are in theory modular trumpets, but you would have to source alternate bells or leadpipes on your own since they don't sell them directly.

I also have been curious if these are carol valves or a different maker. Maybe Jonathan could try swapping the valves between his Giuffredi and the Mauriat.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I think the L is leadpipe. So, you can get:
All yellow brass
Brass bell, titanium leadpipe
Titanium bell, brass leadpipe
Titanium bell and leadpipe

I've tried them before and really like them. I think Jonathan's review is good and he talks about how the layout of the rings on the 1st/3rd slide is a little funny (I found the third slide ring to also be on the small side). They also are in theory modular trumpets, but you would have to source alternate bells or leadpipes on your own since they don't sell them directly.

I also have been curious if these are carol valves or a different maker. Maybe Jonathan could try swapping the valves between his Giuffredi and the Mauriat.

Got it, so it's:

T = Titanium
L = Leadpipe
B = Bell
S = Silver, but this is only on brass and not any section that is made with the titanium/copper alloy, which is always lacquered, correct, and if it does not have S, then it's all lacquered?
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is correct:

T = Titanium
L = Leadpipe
B = Bell
S = Silver, but this is only on brass and not any section that is made with the titanium/copper alloy, which is always lacquered, correct, and if it does not have S, then it's all lacquered?
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:

Quite so, as it is a Titanium/Copper mix, it has a slight rose shade to the color.

Have, you are right on! The valves are not the same size, but with a hammer I was able to get them in place. Having an awful time getting them out though. (Ok, just a little humor!)

The P Mauriat and Carol valves are NOT interchangeable. The bottom caps are, but not the top caps. Also, the first and third valve guides are set at an angle (Kanstul used to offset some of their valve guides on third valves - and I always really disliked this... It still really irritates me.)

Now I'm quite curious; is this a Carol valve block or another company?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. There's just something in me that recoils when a company rips off a name to make them seem to be something they're not.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travel in the region and have bought a number of Taiwanese trumpets. I think the founder of Mauriat is a sax player who studied in France and is a big jazz fan. They mostly do sax and trumpets, but they have also tried other things (one of the staff told me they had one sousaphone they were trying to sell off!).

I think the 75 is a good trumpet but a little bit off the range. Their 71 and 72 are more mainstream and I can see how they'd want to go in that direction. At the same time, I think the 75 would be a fun trumpet to own. Here's an event that Mauriat did with the 75 (in Chinese) where they had a famous player, Chang Po-Chan, who had also studied in France: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6J1Exdu2ZI

I do think the oem is a different company than Carol, but one that also uses steel valves and makes for some of the famous custom brands.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to play a PMT-75TBL, which is the model with the copper-titanium alloy leadpipe and bell. Thought I'd offer some impressions.

The horn appears to have a lightweight body, with thin yellow brass tubing. The bell is somewhere in the standard-to-heavy weight range. It also had heavyweight valve caps. The finish was lacquer, and the application seemed smooth and even.

Big sound with lots of feedback for the player. Sound held together well at the dynamic extremes. Projection seemed good though I was unable to test it onstage. Upper register felt fairly open, and the overall feel was fairly even from low to high.

Seemed fairly responsive to me. Blow seemed about average/medium, which for me is around a Bach 25 leadpipe; perhaps a bit more open than that, or perhaps the bell flare contributes to a slightly more open feel. Slotting seemed to be in the average-to-tight range.

Slides were tightly-fitted and moved smoothly. Valves typically felt smooth and fast, with good compression. The second valve stuck occasionally on the upstroke; a few times with the first valve as well. The model I tested was brand new, and I suspect that some break-in time would have resolved the sticking, but can't confirm that, of course.

I've seen them discounted to under $1,200, which seems like a good deal to me.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to run specials all the time, so for any purchase from BrassAndWinds.com, you might consider contacting them before placing an order. I just called to order the PMT-75TLBS and got a discount off the printed price, plus free shipping (for the month of Feb. 2023).
theaudioman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there would have been some PMT-71M's for sale on the site. I had never even heard of P. Mauriat before the NAMM show two weeks ago. I played the PMT-71M and fell in love. I also tried the PMT-72, PMT-75, and PMT-51. The PMT-71M was so spectacular I tried to buy it on the spot. I ended up ordering the horn last week through a dealer and turns out they are shipping me the exact horn that I played at NAMM. The horn I played was the most easy blowing horn I've ever tried. Sounds was great and slotting was phenomenal. For anyone on the fence about P. Mauriat, don't be. Fantastic horns.
Old Getzen Eterna Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: