• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Leblanc 707 Sonic Mouthpiece Receiver and Leadpipe Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject: Leblanc 707 Sonic Mouthpiece Receiver and Leadpipe Questions Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Leblanc 707 Sonic. The receiver is stamped "707 Sonic ML." The ML is stamped at the end of the receiver near the beginning of the leadpipe. I have seen Sonics with "Special" stamped between "Sonic" and "ML." I have also seen them with an "M" stamped just before the "707." Does this mean mine is a true ML and not the .453 bore (medium bore)?

Also, on my horn there is an "A" stamped on the underside of the receiver right by where the mouthpiece goes in. Is this the stock/model designation for the leadpipe?
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can measure it at the inside diameter of the 2nd valve pull slide. It would be most accurate to measure the slide with a digital caliper. The following descriptions from Leblanc may help.
Ron

MODEL 707 "Sonic"
The trumpet sensation that has captured the fancy of many of the world's true artisis. Light as a dream, every minute detail of this unique creation refects precision and pride. The "707” possesses flawless intonation and witsranch rich timbre. Features include balanced pistons, hand lapped valves - single slot type with wide spacing bewween ports, one piece bell construction, flanged first slide brace, flanged bell mouthpiece braces, adjustable third valve slide and third slide finger ring, and special first slide tuning trigger on all models. .453” bore.

MODEL 708 "Sonic"
The "Sonic" Model 708 is an artist grade trumpet identical to the 707 except the bore size is medium large .460” bore.

MODEL 707A "Al Hirt"
The Al Hirt large bore model is everything you’d expect from a trumpet tailored to the needs of such a brilliant performer. Naturally, the "707A" features a "big” sound, but is also capable of everything an artist demands of it. Features are: carefully balanced pistons, hand lapped valves which are finished to minute tolerances, valve casings of single wall construction, one piece bell tapered by a special process which holds the closest tolerances, precision fit slides and rocket wire springs among other high quality standards set by Leblanc. .468” bore.
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
veum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ronnman!

Bill Simenson
veum
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - just got my 707 Sonic ML cleaned and some dents removed. Repair tech measured the bore size at the 2nd valve slide and it was .458.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: