• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Leadpipe 25LR vs 43LR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Brass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:44 pm    Post subject: Bach Leadpipe 25LR vs 43LR Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,

I am wondering if somebody have any experience of these two leadpipes comparison to each other. I have just bought an Bach 180LR37 with a rotten leadpipe and i am thinking about replacement. Does anybody have any experience of the 43LR leadpipe with a 37 bell? Or is it better to replace with the original 25LR? please let me know , i have to decide rather fast though the existing leadpipe is no more playable.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen this? --

https://bachloyalist.com/bach-trumpets-leadpipes/

In general, it appears that the 43 leadpipe will be more open, more flexible, brighter, and possibly more tiring that the 25. The descriptions are not bell-specific, but I suppose they hold true 'bell-for-bell'.

You could try emailing Charlie Melk and asking his opinion. Charlie is a world class brass tech who knows quite a bit about Bachs. His website is:

http://charliesbrassworks.com/

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can buy both and return one I would do that. Tape on one at a time and see which one you like better. Then return the other one and have the keeper permanently mounted.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
If you can buy both and return one I would do that. Tape on one at a time and see which one you like better. Then return the other one and have the keeper permanently mounted.

+1

This is absolutely the best idea (provided that you can buy both leadpipes on approval). There's nothing like comparing exactly how they work for you; after all, there is an element of subjectivity involved in this choice that no one else can address.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie doesn't like the 43 leadpipe.. Been talking to him about leadpipes for my 67 Bach 37 and his opinion on the 43 is it is a bit to open for him and he prefers a bit more resistance. I really like the 43 on the 72 bell but not sure on the 37. I am getting a 7 leadpipe put on my 1967 Bach if it ever comes in, if not then I will go with one of Charlies 7 pipes.

The 43 pipe compared to the 25 pipe to me plays more open and helps with the horrible stuffiness i get when I play on a 25 pipe. The only issue you might have is it opens up the slotting a bit.

The 7 pipe gives the benefits of the 43 but with a nice dark sound. I have used a 7r on a Bach 239 c trumpet before and it was magical to me.

One of the downsides to the 43 and the 7 is it takes more air than the 25 and 25-0.

Best thing to do is buy from mouthpiece express where you can return and sample the 43 or even the 7 reverse and see if you like them without worrying if you can return it.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Dr Brass

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:08 am    Post subject: Leadpipes 25/43 Reply with quote

Dear sirs
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I will definitivt order o couple of pipes to check
How it feels with the 37 Bell. I Will be back.....
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party but possibly still helpful. I have played the Bach in the signature since buying it new in 1992. As a developing player, mostly playing big band and soul/pop stuff (and not having the internet rabbithole at the fingertips) I was very happy with the standard 25 pipe it came with. Powerful sound with good control over what I was doing.

In about 2014 the leadpipe had given in to red rot and I had it replaced with a standard 43 pipe. Much more open, much darker sound, easier to bend notes, easier to color the sound. Great for orchestra and jazz, less brilliant than the 25 pipe but much more comfortable to play.

Having played very few reverse leadpipe horns, I can’t compare but maybe a 25LR and a 43LR relate in a similar way as the standard pipes do.

I’d love to have an open leadpipe a la 43 with the sizzle and brilliance of the 25 (or better) but that’s another topic altogether.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
Dr Brass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Leadpipes 43/25 Reply with quote

Dear Sirs,

I have now tested the different pipes and this is what i came to as a conclusion;
I dont believe that the 43 is actually right for the 37 bell. It felt as i am loosing the "bachcore" that i like in the 37. At my LT72 the 43 is perfect, it sounds great with a nice core to it, I belive that the original 25LR pipe is the best in this case for the 37 bell. But i had some great fun trying it out anyway,,,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: