• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Bb trumpets.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Bb trumpets. Reply with quote

I've owned dozens of horns over the years, and I've got the itch (again!) for something new...Not that I'm unhappy with my main horn, or looking for something specific in a horn...Just the itch.
Never had or even played a Yamaha, except a student model I got for my grandson a while back.

Please help me understand the difference between models 6335, 8335, and 9335.
They're all 0.460 pro-level instruments, right? I know the cost, but what else can y'all tell me? The Yamaha site just pours on the useless flowery words for all three models.

Thanks!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you want to use it?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly for my own enjoyment, but I play occasionally in church and in a community band.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6335 is an old but proven design, very simple, yellow brass bell and leadpipe, very good horn, should be my favourite.
The 8335 is more modern with some modern details, there are several types of this horn. I played only the first generation, felt a little heavy but later generations are said to be lighter.
The 9335 (NY, CHS or Vizutti) is an extraordinary good trumpet, a beast with very tight slotting, but IMO primarily aimed at symphonic playing.
My choice should be the 6335 maybe in silver, the 6345G ((see under) or possibly the simple 8335 no letters.
But there is much more, like the 6345G with a slightly larger bore, the commercial (?) 6335RC or the 8310.
And also the new 8335 LA(S), the Bergeron horn or the new 8330EM, the new Myashiro horn.
Still for your purpose: YTR6335S OR 6345G (which has a goldbrass bell and leadpipe). It is marketed as a large bore horn but the 0.462 bore is not at all frightening.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that summary. Lots of choices.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delano pretty much covered it, but the 6xxx series instruments tend to be older designs. Some of them are still made, and the 6335RC is a new model in the line. The original 6335 is also still made, though most of it's fellow models from that time have been phased out.

Tthe 6335 originally came out in the mid to later 1980's when Yamaha moved away from their 3 digit models and more Schilke-influenced designs. Schilke was a consultant for Yamaha through the 70's until his death in the early 80's, helping them develop their trumpets and other brasses.

The 6335, 6345 and the 6335H and 6345H were more designed to compete directly with the ever popular Bach Strad. I feel they're more of a middle ground in that way compared to later Yamaha models like the 6335HII and the later first generation Xeno 8335, which felt more "Bach-ish." However, some feel that they're mostly just Yamaha's take on a Strad rather with little residual Schilke touches. It's hard to say, but it did feel lighter and play a little more responsively than the typical Strad, in my opinion.

This is purely my opinion, but I preferred my older 6335 to the subsequent models like the 6335H and the original Xenos, which to me, played too stiff and felt fairly inflexible. I haven't played my 6335 for a number of years, either, so it's possible I would feel that it's also a little restrictive, especially compared to the Benge that I generally play.

I have played the newest Xeno 8335 a bit (I worked music retail for a time) and it is a very nice horn that doesn't have the characteristics that I didn't care for in earlier Yamaha professional standard ML Bb's. Rather it's a nice blend of a nice response with a little security, very well in tune, and a warm tone. One of the few horns I've played that might actually play better than my Benge, maybe. Worth checking out.

I'm sure the old 6335 is also worth playing. We didn't carry it (and the Xeno was a special order), so I don't know how the new ones play in comparison to either mine or the Xeno. That would have been a fun test.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original 6335 is still manufactured and is a middle of the road weight horn, they are great playing trumpets.

The 6335II was discontinued once the Xenos came along. That MKII model was more Bach-like and I don't care for those ones at all. Very stuff and even more "vanilla" to the sound than a Bach.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comments from CF and FEON. I was a little bit hesitant about the 8335 because it’s such a longtime that I played that one. And of course my preference is the ‘old design’ 6335. I never tried the heavy mods of these horns but I don’t believe in heavy weight nor in lightweight.
I have to add that my favourite trumpet is the older YTR 6345 with the slightly larger 0.463 bore. I tried and owned a lot of horns but that 6345 is still the best! But the 9335 horns are frightening good also.
And I have the feeling that Yamaha silently did some modern things with the nowadays 6335.
BTW I’m back in BKK so my communication works again.
scrapiron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject: yamaha trumpets Reply with quote

I have had a couple of yamahas-an 8345 from around 2000-this horn is pretty much of a monster powerful horn. The other one is an 8310. Have often wondered about pre-xeno horns that seem to have been only sold in Japan eg. the 800-940 series. It seems these would be basic quality horns that seem sort of hard to find. Any thoughts?
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´ve tried some Yamaha horns but fell in love with that 6335 RC. Finding it a very versatile horn that is easy to play, helps you quite a lot; the notes sit where they should, the sound warm and big. Might be used in every kind of music - from big band to church. In my opinion.
And it´s comparatively cheap.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too familiar with the 6335 series as they are older horns and with any used horn they need to be play tested for any issues they may have. I have owned at one time most of the more modern pro horns. The 9335 series is awesome. The NY is very Bach like with a lighter approach if that makes sense. I currently play a Chicago Gen. I model that I love. Very solid slotting and a dense sound. Bach like too and wonderful for etudes and more "legit" playing. I have owned three different 8335 models. Two ML bores (one with a gold bell), and one L bore. I found them too stiff and very generic in their sound. So not a fan at all. I have owned a couple of 6310Z horns and they were wonderful. A beautiful sound that was excellent for ballads, and with the right approach they could light up for commercial purposes. The blow was a bit tight for me over time, so I eventually moved to a Bergeron model. That horn is wonderful for commercial purposes too. I believe it is the same bell as the Z but with a more open blow.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: yamaha trumpets Reply with quote

scrapiron wrote:
I have had a couple of yamahas-an 8345 from around 2000-this horn is pretty much of a monster powerful horn.

Many drum corps use the 8345 (either standard or reversed) for their trumpets now. They sound really good in the hands of a corps made up mostly of college music majors!

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
scrapiron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject: ytr-922 Reply with quote

Still want to know about these seemingly Japan only horns--800. 850, saw a ytr-922 custom horn from the 70's for sale. I've never seen 900 series from that era.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for what it's worth, i play a 8335Gii xeno. bought it a year or so ago, and use it every day. very responsive, great tone, and haven't had the desire to move on with something else. it's a wonderful horn.

ultimately, you just have to try one and see if it's for you or not.
dmh737
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the 6335. I think it is a more versatile horn than the later Xeno’s. Much quicker response and a livelier sound.

Just my $.02.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of April, 1990 when I first got to the 1st Army Band at Fort Meade, I was issued a brand-new silver-plated Yamaha 6335. It played ok from my recollection, and I used it most of that first summer I was there, but ultimately, I wound up back on my personal ML 37 Bach Strad.

If I knew then what I know now I'd have known that I was probably still trying to get acclimated to that Yamaha, and I may have ended up liking it more than my Strad, although I did some of the best playing of my life on that thing.

I'm kinda-sorta in the market for another trumpet once I leave the National Guard band in a couple of months and I have to give back my issued Shires Model B - I'm looking at a couple of trumpets, and the 6335 is on the list, as is the 8310Z. I'd really like to find a solid "do everything" trumpet again. Although the Jupiter 1600I has served me well for the rock and roll playing I've done for years, I think there are trumpets out there that are more versatile overall.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone interested, I have a basically brand new 6335 that I’ll be selling.
It is from 2022 and lightly used. Looks brand new and has upgrades from the Yamaha Atelier. I just have too many Bb’s and I’m primarily a C tpt guy.

I have pics for anyone interested. $1550, shipped.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 8335RGS (reverse lead pipe gold brass bell) for a few years. It's a great middle of the road horn. The sound is on the dark side with the gold brass bell. I was looking for something with more zip so I sold it.

I got a used 9335CHS (first generation) a couple years ago. Great horn! Brighter than the RGS and easy playing, very in tune. I'd like to test a gen. III (especially a NY model) some day to see how they could improve it. And if Bach ever sells this new horn they're teasing I want to try it too.

If it were me I'd look for a used 9335 or a standard 8335 Xeno with a yellow brass bell.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmh737 wrote:
I love the 6335. I think it is a more versatile horn than the later Xeno’s. Much quicker response and a livelier sound.
+1...and with different mouthpieces, it could do pretty much everything!
Heinz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5335GII (6335 body with 4335 bell). I tested a 8335G and it sounded like the 5335. Not that much of an upgrade over a € 1.100 horn. Maybe the yellow brass bell version will sound livelier, but I would go for the 6335 I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: