• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King Silvertone (Long vs Standard) Cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strobe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: King Silvertone (Long vs Standard) Cornet Reply with quote

Can anyone weigh in on the differences between a King Silvertone Long Cornet and the standard version? Both have the sterling silver bell with the brass lacquer. Any differences in sound/playability? Is the only difference the length of the bell? Expected pricing for one in good shape/is one more rare or expensive than the other? Have the King Silvertone or newer Silversonic on my horn "wish list" so trying to see which one would be better. Thanks.
Bach Hybrid 239
Olds Super Recording ''40's
King Cleveland ''76 (My First)
Olds Super Cornet ' '59
Boston 3 Star Cornet 1912
King Silvertone Cornet '35
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: King Silvertone (Long vs Standard) Cornet Reply with quote

Strobe wrote:
Can anyone weigh in on the differences between a King Silvertone Long Cornet and the standard version? Both have the sterling silver bell with the brass lacquer. Any differences in sound/playability? Is the only difference the length of the bell? Expected pricing for one in good shape/is one more rare or expensive than the other? Have the King Silvertone or newer Silversonic on my horn "wish list" so trying to see which one would be better. Thanks.

What do you mean long vs standard version of the silvertone cornet? The silvertone and silversonic cornet was only what is known as an American long model cornet ie not a shephards crook. It was the master model cornet and super 20 that was offered with the sterling bells. You had the 1065, 1066, and 1067 models with sterling bells. They were all the same size.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
Strobe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: King Silvertone (Long vs Standard) Cornet Reply with quote

What do you mean long vs standard version of the silvertone cornet? The silvertone and silversonic cornet was only what is known as an American long model cornet ie not a shephards crook. It was the master model cornet and super 20 that was offered with the sterling bells. You had the 1065, 1066, and 1067 models with sterling bells. They were all the same size.[/quote]

I appreciate the reply.
I was looking at two King Silvertone Cornets - one from the mid 30s and the other from the mid 40's and from the photos it seemed as if one had a slightly longer bell than the other (but must be the photos). Thanks for confirming that they are all the same size.
Do you have a preference between the Silvertone or Silversonic Cornet?
Bach Hybrid 239
Olds Super Cornet ' '59
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: King Silvertone (Long vs Standard) Cornet Reply with quote

Strobe wrote:
What do you mean long vs standard version of the silvertone cornet? The silvertone and silversonic cornet was only what is known as an American long model cornet ie not a shephards crook. It was the master model cornet and super 20 that was offered with the sterling bells. You had the 1065, 1066, and 1067 models with sterling bells. They were all the same size.

I appreciate the reply.
I was looking at two King Silvertone Cornets - one from the mid 30s and the other from the mid 40's and from the photos it seemed as if one had a slightly longer bell than the other (but must be the photos). Thanks for confirming that they are all the same size.
Do you have a preference between the Silvertone or Silversonic Cornet?[/quote]

For the most part the silvertone and silversonic are the same thing. King had to change the name due to a lawsuit from sears I believe having instruments named silvertone. For cornets it doesn't matter much as the models there is not too much a difference. You just need ti find one with the features you like. Trumpets on the other hand, they changed a lit over the years between the silvertone and silversonic models.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first Silvertone cornets were Master Model #1 variants, while the later were modified Master Model #2. There are slight differences. When the Master Model became the Super20, again, there were slight differences.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is the Long Model. I used to have one. I never got on with that model or the Master style. YMMV.

[img]IMG_1226 by genevie7, on Flickr[/img]

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Below is the Long Model. I used to have one. I never got on with that model or the Master style. YMMV.

Yes but they didn't offer this model as a silvertone or silversonic. That was my point. Op was asking about the silvertone models, ie the solid sterling silver bells. The silvertones and silversonics were limited to the master model I listed above and the super 20.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
Richard III wrote:

Yes but they didn't offer this model as a silvertone or silversonic. That was my point. Op was asking about the silvertone models, ie the solid sterling silver bells. The silvertones and silversonics were limited to the master model I listed above and the super 20.

The one in the photo is mine with a solid sterling silver bell, which was engraved "Silvertone."

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
chef8489 wrote:
Richard III wrote:

The one in the photo is mine with a solid sterling silver bell, which was engraved "Silvertone."

That's unusual. What model is it? Edit its the 1069 model.

1929-1934 medium bore 4.5" bell. 19" in length including mouthpiece.
Strobe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the info on the King cornets! Beautiful instruments. I took a chance and just purchased one (1935 King Silvertone Cornet with the lacquer and sterling bell). I look forward to trying it.
Bach Hybrid 239
Olds Super Cornet ' '59
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: