• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opinions Please

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Opinions Please Reply with quote

Hello All. I've been reading through this forum & other places that the road to a high register is doing long tones, lip slurs, etc, after a good warm up. BUT, I also read that if you really want to train your embouchure to play high... then freaken play high; & have your embouchure build on that & get use to it! Any opinions on that? Thanks!!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be true, but it may also be at the expense of a smooth connectivity from low to high. So, make sure of your goal before limiting yourself to exercises in one resister.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right & thanks for your response. Even if I can only spend 30 min a day practicing, at least 20 min with cover low f# through 4th space e. Then 10 min from 4th space e & above that as smoothly as possible, enough to sustain what I can play clean. Any other thought from anyone?
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 50 years ago, I got to chat backstage during a rehearsal with Doc Severinsen (he was doing his amazing stuff with that Amarillo Symphony, I was playing in the offstage brass group in "Pnes of Rome"). It was a great chance for a very pleasant chat I will never forget. Anyway, he said he practiced flute etudes to keep his range up while keeping his musicianship up as well. And not exclusively, just as part of his routine.

From my experience trying to stay in shape these days, I will add, do not wear yourself out on range for too much of your rehearsal time. Especially if you are not up to playing hours a day. You cannot build the strength and control in your embouchure by damaging you chops, which is what is going on if you get swelling. Practice in short sessions, with rest for your muscles, and build up in stages
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. I do rest as much as I play; this especially if I'm going to work on my upper register. And as for purposely practicing high range; I don't do that everyday. Every other day will suffice.
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything posted here is good, I would add that playing extremely soft has helped me a lot. It has helped add control, strengthen the muscles needed to form the small aperture needed for the upper register, and create muscle memory for the small aperture. It also doesn't beat up the chops so you can practice for longer. I start with playing soft in the middle register and extend upwards. This more than anything has helped me extend range while keeping the mpc pressure on the lips as light as possible.

Eventually you do have to practice at the volume you'll perform at but I try and keep that at 10-20% of my practice time.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
... Any other thought from anyone?

--------------------
Embouchure Mechanics

The lips need to be 'set' (placement, position, pressure distribution, tension, etc.) so that they are CAPABLE of vibrating / pulsating at the desired pitch when there is air flow thru the aperture. CAPABLE includes being flexible and not 'locked into' a static position. Instead of trying to 'force' the lips to vibrate, the goal should be to ALLOW it.
My thoughts -
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/Embouchure_Basic_Concepts.htm
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:

From my experience trying to stay in shape these days, I will add, do not wear yourself out on range for too much of your rehearsal time. Especially if you are not up to playing hours a day. You cannot build the strength and control in your embouchure by damaging you chops, which is what is going on if you get swelling. Practice in short sessions, with rest for your muscles, and build up in stages

This. When my chops are feeling good I have to resist the temptation to overdo it. If I do, it's two-steps-back for a few days while I recover.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What great advice! I know it's a slow progression building up your range & there are lots of low & middle register exercises to work toward it. But I'm thinking have to (SENSIBLY) spend time in the upper range as well, right at the point where my range falls off. My high note that I can play clean is a G to an A above the staff. So for the last say 5 minutes of a 30 minute practice, I've been working those two notes to get my embouchure use to setting & playing those notes clean, especially long tones for those notes. I'm trying to play them softly avoiding too much pressure, warm down below the staff, & then call it a day. I'm hoping that this is a good balance, because along with everything else, I feel part of increasing my range, is to play up to my max range, get comfortable with that, get my embouchure to set itself & get use to that,& slowly move up. (Today's squeak is tomorrows note). Any more incite for you guys on that? Thanks so much!!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions Please Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
Hello All. I've been reading through this forum & other places that the road to a high register is doing long tones, lip slurs, etc, after a good warm up. BUT, I also read that if you really want to train your embouchure to play high...[b] then freaken play high; & have your embouchure build on that & get use to it![/b] Any opinions on that? Thanks!!

My experience was that until I ironed out some mechanical dysfunctionalities that plagued me for a long time, doing everything you mentioned including the "etc." to exhaustion did nothing to expand my range past a certain point.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll second (third, fourth, …) everyone saying embouchure mechanics. Work out lip, tongue, mouthpiece placement, and trumpet angle. After only 40 years or so I found a much better mouthpiece placement adding about three notes to my range Still, I am no Jon Faddis or Arturo, but I can actually use those additional notes in a gig.

Also, I find practicing on low brass benefits my range and tone on trumpet, even if I only practice long tones, scales, and intervals.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
What great advice! I know it's a slow progression building up your range & there are lots of low & middle register exercises to work toward it. But I'm thinking have to (SENSIBLY) spend time in the upper range as well, right at the point where my range falls off. My high note that I can play clean is a G to an A above the staff. So for the last say 5 minutes of a 30 minute practice, I've been working those two notes to get my embouchure use to setting & playing those notes clean, especially long tones for those notes. I'm trying to play them softly avoiding too much pressure, warm down below the staff, & then call it a day. I'm hoping that this is a good balance, because along with everything else, I feel part of increasing my range, is to play up to my max range, get comfortable with that, get my embouchure to set itself & get use to that,& slowly move up. (Today's squeak is tomorrows note). Any more incite for you guys on that? Thanks so much!!

In all honesty, for a player with a range limit around the top of the staff, questions about how to approach 'range building' are probably moot. Could you post a video (or at least audio) of your playing throughout your current range? It would really open up the possibilities for a productive discussion.

Mike
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mike. I'm not understanding why questions about range building, especially someone who tops out at an above the staff G, would be "mute". Shouldn't someone like myself beasking questions about range building?
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in a big band and have to play my share of parts with Es, Fs, and some Gs above high C. As a comeback player, here is my 2cents based on my experience.

I built my range initially with exercises in Claude Gordons Systematic Approach to Daily Practice, Irons 27 groups and Clarke. I practiced the Systematic Approach exercises that arpeggiate into the pedal register, Clarke 1 & 5 and the first several pages of exercises in Irons.

The exercises are not the key as much as how they are played and what you are focusing on. My belief is that efficiency and coordination play a large role in range. That starts with learning not to overblow or expend excess energy in the middle register, eliminating unnecessary embouchure movement, staying as relaxed as possible when ascending, and not using excess lip to lip compression. The air, tongue and aperture need to be coordinated. You have to have confidence that you can play those notes. You gain that confidence by playing them numerous times.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has worked for me is first finding the correct inner diameter of my mouthpiece(s) for my individual physical features ... that being a 10.5 diameter and smaller inner diameter.

Secondly, I practice range AFTER I have practiced various legit studies for an hour on a Marcinkiewicz Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece with a deep V Cup and 20 drill.

Third, knowing how to correctly compress air is essential.

RussellDeanDixon.com ... tips from Bill Chase and Scott Englebright.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
Hello Mike. I'm not understanding why questions about range building, especially someone who tops out at an above the staff G, would be "mute". Shouldn't someone like myself beasking questions about range building?

It's completely understandable that you'd want to ask, but in general for a player with this sort of range ceiling, I'd see much more potential in seriously addressing how they play in the low and middle registers before thinking about how they might approach extending upwards. It's impossible to make anything more than the broadest generalisations without hearing any of your playing though.

Mike
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a proper warm up, tone is clear & crisp from Low F# up to F on top of the staff. G is ok at times too, clean. (And that's on a 1965 Holton Collegiate "student horn").After that, pretty much a brick wall.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Range will come with proper practice. Also, range w/o sound, phrasing, time, articulation, or dynamics is pointless. What I mean to say is that range alone is not the key to playing music.

If possible get a teacher and have him/her evaluate your playing (overall, not just range). This may be better than an online discussion.

I have a Holton Collegiate cornet from 1966 - good horn and pretty close to yours. Downside is neither you nor I can blame the horn
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All helpful advice. Thank you everyone. Just odd that my overall tone, articulation, crispness is really good vs hitting a wall at G above the staff. Let me ask this question as odd as it might sound. Range was progressing nicely; but I had 3 molars taken out just recently, & I am going to have implants done. So there is a lot of space in my mouth. Could that be affecting the airstream, where it's not as concentrated for lack of a better description? Even forming a proper embouchure, or trying to keep the corners firm against the teeth. (No, I'm not drinking as I write this). I am definitely planning on seeing an instructor though; after the new molars are in place & I get use to them. Anyone else of this forum with this possible issue?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
After a proper warm up, tone is clear & crisp from Low F# up to F on top of the staff. G is ok at times too, clean. (And that's on a 1965 Holton Collegiate "student horn").After that, pretty much a brick wall.

Have you posted video of yourself at some point?

As you progress through the different ranges the boundaries of which are loosely demarcated, you have to shift gears so to speak.

Playing a G below the staff is very different that a second line G which I assume is within your ability to discern. A nice fat G on top of the staff is again a different experience, G over high C is again a very different proposition. The way you play it is different. My assumption is the next octave up is yet again different - I'll let you know if I ever get there - lol.

Without seeing you play it's impossible to make an accurate assessment but if you run into a wall at top of staff G you need to do something different than what you're doing. I'd wager it's not out of your ability to add another octave - the right mouthpiece would likely help but not unless you find the "trick".

My middle name was "Range problems" and was told by more than one teacher that I don't have the right physical tools to play trumpet and it's true I don't have the ideal setup but I've been able to make a lot of improvement with the chops I have. Once upon a time I didn't have a high C that I could just nail and that felt solid and anchored. Now it's no big deal. It feels completely different than how a high C used to feel. I used to be envious of a buddy who had what I considered to be a nice fat high C and it was, but now I can play a bigger C than he could.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: