• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Matt Brockman??? what's the scoop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm reading this wrong, I just don't see what's not intuitive.

First - do NOT click the reply button first and then the Quote button. Just directly click the quote button and the quote appears in a text window into which you can type more text.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
BC73

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JayKosta"]
BC73 wrote:

Down at the bottom of the page you should see the 'Options' section -
if 'Disable BBCode in this post' is checked, that prevents the 'white box' from appearing (at least for me).

Options only appears on the reply page when it opens. I unchecked the disable BBcode box and yet to the extreme left under options it still says BBCode is on.......okay..it doesn't show up in the "preview", but this time I seem to have gotten it...oh wait...its attributing the quote from JayKosta to me in bold.....
BC73

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Unless I'm reading this wrong, I just don't see what's not intuitive.

First - do NOT click the reply button first and then the Quote button. Just directly click the quote button and the quote appears in a text window into which you can type more text.

Okay..let me try this...seems t have worked this time....thanks...I had done what it says in quote numerous times.....but I did have to disable the BBCode....so that appears to be the key....
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Croquethed wrote:
You can always block Facebook ads.

HOW???

I keep trying yet they still keep popping up. What's your secret, Sir, please!!

You can install ad blockers in your browser. There used to be an extension specifically for Facebook ads. I deleted by account years ago because of all the religio-political nonsense my friends insisted on posting.

As long as there are conventional websites, who needs Facebook?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Croquethed wrote:
You can always block Facebook ads.

HOW???

I keep trying yet they still keep popping up. What's your secret, Sir, please!!

I use Adblock Plus with the Brave Browser.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
I deleted by account years ago because of all the religio-political nonsense my friends insisted on posting.

As long as there are conventional websites, who needs Facebook?

Facebook - where you can connect with old friends and alienate them - lol.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC73 wrote:
If I do what this says, this is what I get. The only reply button I see is at the bottom or top of the thread...and it says "post reply"...I hit that and get a big white box...I hit quote and get the word quote in the big white box. The only way I get the entire message as a quote is if I hit the quote button at the top of a particular post. So very not intuitive. I'm either really stupid, the rest of you are geniuses or I'm somehow not seeing what the rest of you see.

Quote:
For example, click reply, then hit "quote" icon, and the system quotes the entire message he is replying to.

The parsing code for this phpBB is not very robust. I suspect that for some reason your browser is adding a character before the opening square bracket that the BB software can’t handle.

If I try adding a name to a quote by manually typing in =“some name” in the opening quote tag, “[quote]” -> “[quote=“some name”]” the software fails due to the iPad keyboard using opening and closing quotes instead of the neutral/vertical quotes the software expects.

I suspect this because, one, I can quote a message containing one of your failed quotes and the quotes, without edit, work when I preview them. I am also assuming the failed character is filtered out when I clicked the "quote" button.

Secondly, every time I paste an url an extra space is added before the url name causing the url to not render properly.

My theory is very tenuous and might well be wrong, but if I were debugging this that would be the first thing I would look into.

There really isn’t much that a poster can do if they simply click the quote button and then submit and the post everyone sees does not have the correct formatting.

<off topic>

Interestingly story this reminds me of. My daughter was applying to the California UCs back in the late 90’s. The essay portion had a word limit. The advice was if you were only slightly over the word count to convert pairs of words to contractions reducing the word count by one for each conversion.

I gave the advice to my daughter and each pair converted became three words instead of one.

It turned out that she was composing in word, checking the new word count, and then cutting and pasting to the online submission window. Word was using a slanted single quote mark instead of the upright single quote and the word counter in the submission page did not recognize the quote.

We manually converted the slanted quotes to vertical and the issue was resolved.

The son of one of my managers who handled customer support for the windows driver my team produced had the same issue. The manager was very upset when I told him the workaround since figuring out software bugs was his expertise.
wbrenner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Matt Brockman??? what's the scoop Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
I am getting bombarded on FB with this guys ads. Does anybody have experience with his methods? Curious what exactly he is trying to sell and how much he is charging.

I don't have a great feeling from Matt. Brockman. I have attended two of his online group sessions. Not a single note was played on the first one. On the second one, he picked up his horn once, then said he was not going to play, and put the horn down. In the chat window, I asked for him to demo and play, and a couple of other attendees echoed my request, but he skipped my comments when he read aloud comments from others.

He speaks of breathing, saying to breath like a singer, but he never demonstrates that himself. He shows videos of players who have gotten somewhere with his 'methods', but still not a note is played. On Youtube, he plays on overproduced videos, with himself playing all the parts on different panels on the screen. I can't be sure that it is really him playing. You don't get to see him talk and then pick up his trumpet to demonstrate - you just have to trust that he is playing all those parts.
garycondren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I responded to his Facebook advertisement. He invites you to schedule a Zoom chat, which I did. But, it's not Matt Brockman on the Zoom chat. I got a guy named Phil Cenedella IV who lives in San Diego. I'm not sure whether Phil is a trumpet player or not. The session had the feeling of a time share presentation or maybe a get-rich-quick scheme. He asks all of these probing questions; it got to feeling a bit odd. Ultimately, I gathered that they're selling a program called "trumpet mastery" that includes access to pre-recorded lesson, live coaching, and a master class series. I think that they charge some fixed price for the one-year program, but when I asked how much, I never got a straight answer. I felt like he was playing games with me, so I ended the session. I'm not saying that Matt is a bad person or anything, but I did end up feeling uncomfortable with his promotional methodology. I'm not sure whether Phil is actually a trumpet player or not. He might just be a sales/marketing person, but I don't know for certain. (There's a thread on Reddit that says that his program costs $12,000 for a year, but this is discounted to $8,000 if you make a commitment on the zoom meeting. It makes sense that he would have to charge that much since he's using fairly sophisticated/costly marketing techniques.)
King 2341 BB Tuba
Rath R3F Trombone
Schilke P5-4 Piccolo Trumpet
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Matt Brockman??? what's the scoop Reply with quote

wbrenner wrote:
ldwoods wrote:
I am getting bombarded on FB with this guys ads. Does anybody have experience with his methods? Curious what exactly he is trying to sell and how much he is charging.

I don't have a great feeling from Matt. Brockman. I have attended two of his online group sessions. Not a single note was played on the first one. On the second one, he picked up his horn once, then said he was not going to play, and put the horn down. In the chat window, I asked for him to demo and play, and a couple of other attendees echoed my request, but he skipped my comments when he read aloud comments from others.

He speaks of breathing, saying to breath like a singer, but he never demonstrates that himself. He shows videos of players who have gotten somewhere with his 'methods', but still not a note is played. On Youtube, he plays on overproduced videos, with himself playing all the parts on different panels on the screen. I can't be sure that it is really him playing. You don't get to see him talk and then pick up his trumpet to demonstrate - you just have to trust that he is playing all those parts.

There's an individual with an entire forum dedicated to him on this website that never seemed to play in front of any of his students. Not anything for or against this guy. Just saying
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Matt Brockman??? what's the scoop Reply with quote

wohlrab wrote:

There's an individual with an entire forum dedicated to him on this website that never seemed to play in front of any of his students. Not anything for or against this guy. Just saying

Actually, that would be true generally of about 3 of the dedicatees of the sub forums, albeit for quite different reasons.
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff is getting increasingly common actually.

The first in the brass world I noticed doing it was "Paul the Trombonist".

He (Paul) now also offers classes on how to do what he does:

Quote:
How to Build a WILDLY Successful Online Business from Your Creative Passion (AND Get Paid... FAST!)
How I built a loyal following for something as weird as my trombone playing and how this can work for other creative careers & businesses interested in becoming profitable with something they enjoy doing (artists, musicians, writers, inventors, performers, educators etc.)

I wouldn't be surprised if Brockman was connected to Paul.

More recently a few others have popped up that are using a similar method, with the annoying Webinar sales pitch thing e.g. Jeremy Miloszewicz, also the "Trumpet Diagnostics" guys. Nothing against any of them, and I'm sure all of them are delivering content worthy of the asking price etc.

Brockman has definitely gone pretty hard at this stuff. I have his ebook, it's a decent book. Very similar to Peter Bond's own book, who he draws many of his core ideas from. But beyond that, not that interested.

I just really dislike this marketing style because I know the method has been designed to use as many psychological triggers as possible to manipulate you into a decision. So I just immediately go "no thank you".

Also, I dislike the 'program' format where you have to pay a big lump sum amount upfront to access what is supposed to be a year or more worth of content. How do I know it's really a years worth? How do I know it's good content? How do I know that I actually needall the content and am not just paying to have 90% of the content not really be relevant to me personally? etc.

Package the content into 1 month chunks or something and, sell them individually. Let me consume it a chunk at a time. If it's good, I'll be back for more...
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:

More recently a few others have popped up that are using a similar method, with the annoying Webinar sales pitch thing e.g. Jeremy Miloszewicz,

Yes, Jeremy is offering a package that seems similar. I'm familiar with Jeremy as a player (Broadway mainstay) and I am currently studying with him. I think it is a great program and I personally endorse it. I am not compensated for saying that.
Pay up front approaches are a turn off for a lot of people and impossible for others. If you want to know more about prices and the program, contact Jeremy directly. I participate in ~3 hours of Zoom sessions each week. If I were paying weekly for 3 hours of private lessons, that would be MORE money that I am paying Jeremy.
There is no "magic" other than well formed instructional methods and HOW to practice them for maximum results based on Jeremy's personal experience. HOW to practice is the key. This method is based on what he has learned and experienced himself and from his teachers.

As for Matt, I don't know him or anything about his playing. It might be a really great program...........or not.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the guy on The Simpsons? I generally avoid lessons with cartoon characters personally.
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garycondren wrote:
(There's a thread on Reddit that says that his program costs $12,000 for a year, but this is discounted to $8,000 if you make a commitment on the zoom meeting. It makes sense that he would have to charge that much since he's using fairly sophisticated/costly marketing techniques.)

That is considerably more than an in-person 1 hour lesson a week. Perhaps something like this is more attractive in a location with few professional trumpet players in area.
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an interesting thread on Reddit. They mention the cost in the thread too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/trumpet/comments/105um8q/matt_brockman_edits_his_videos_to_the_point_where/
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine paying $1000 per month for subscription access to an online program. For that much money, you could buy nearly every trumpet pedagogy book on the market in the first month, and spend the remaining $11,000 traveling around the country and paying to take lessons from the best players in every city. An online program rivaling the cost of college tuition is absurd and borderline predatory when you're selling it with manipulative tactics to a (very likely) under informed audience.
bigjoejazz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! So I was the original poster of the previously mentioned reddit thread. (Created a profile here just to reply to this!)

I've been keeping an eye on Matt for the past 1.5-2 years, and I'm glad to see that more and more people have noticed some of the deceptive practices he uses.

Matt now works alongside Paul the Trombonist. I actually had a Zoom call for Paul's "Passion Builders" program (last July I believe) just to see what it was all about. I was surprised to hear Matt on the other end of the call instead of Paul. Matt also had his camera turned off the entire time, claiming the weather was bad and he wanted to keep the connection. For what it's worth, I checked the weather in Savannah, where he was located at the time, and he had nothing but clear skies... but given the benefit of the doubt, he might have been traveling.

Paul (and Matt's) whole shtick with Passion Builders seems to be centered around high ticket marketing. The way they help you build a course seems very predatory, and is designed to help you market towards potential buyers who don't realize they could get private lessons at a much lower cost. The suggested course construction gives ZERO one on one time with your students. You make video lessons and a "mastermind" where all your students are on a zoom call with you once or twice a week. I'm sure there's more to it as well, but that's the basics of how the course development works as far as I know. Not worth thousands of dollars each month.

I've seen Jeremy's stuff as well, and while I know it's not for me, it seems like he actually has the know how to do something like this effectively. Matt actually mentioned Jeremy during our Zoom call. I can't say for sure, since I don't know how many students Jeremy has gotten from the model, but it seems like he's a great example of a competent teacher who paid a ton of money for this program and hasn't seen a return on his investment.

Also, to correct a previous poster, the $12000/$8000 mark was to enroll in Passion Builders. According to Matt, he charges each student $5,000/month and makes about $50,000 each month. I'm fairly skeptical of these numbers, and of course, there was no proof offered.

Overall, I think Matt and Paul have found a way to get people enrolled in this SUPER high cost Passion Builders course. I'm sure for some customers it pays off, but I have to imagine with many more, they're out thousands of dollars.
Benson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did one of his free webinars. His program, asynchronous lessons with two zoom meetings a week, was $8,000 but priced down to $4,600 if I agreed right then and there. I couldn't even discuss it with my family, it had to be decided before the end of the call. He played zero notes and refused to when I asked him. That was really odd. I haven't met a trumpet player who doesn't want to play for someone else. I played a chromatic scale low C to high C. He gave no pointers, no feedback, except something about my breathing being "off". Beforehand, I researched him by reading his Tone Builders books, watching the video of Pandolfi, watching his other videos, and so on. After I played I asked him directly, "What from your program will benefit me? I want to play more efficiently. I need to know you'll be able to provide this before I can make such a financial commitment." He did not like my direct questions. The whole thing was WEIRD. It felt like I was being sold fishy timeshares.

What did I learn? Don't trust Matt Brockman. Also, save your money, buy the Peter Bond book (it's obviously the genesis of Brockman's materials) and get lessons with a local pro.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just floors me that people buy into this sort of garbage. But, they do and they'll keep doing it.

It's much easier to buy an online marketing course than it is to sit your butt in a practice room for hours a day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: