• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

“Resting” face

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Movement or completely still emobouchure?
A. Moving embouchure
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
B. Completely still embouchure
84%
 84%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 13

trpt2honk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:46 am    Post subject: “Resting” face Reply with quote

I’m a fan of Tine Thing Helseth for many reasons. Number one….she’s VERY attractive. Number two….she is a cancer overcomer like me.

The main reason I’m writing is because she makes it look so effortless. Is there another player out there who has a more still, non moving “static” embouchure than she does?

Is is a waste of time to try to emulate her “non movement” or should I just give up and flop around as I usually do.

Mike
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep studying her embouchure and technique and you'll stop flopping around in no time.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
deanoaks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes down to your instrument/mouthpiece combo and your physiology. Generally I think that people with overbites need to either anchor a bit with their lower jaw to create a flat surface or submit to a small amount of movement, whichever creates the least amount of tension.

Personally, I have brute forced myself and my overbite into not pivoting or moving really at all (with the exception of low F#-C where I every so slightly angle the horn up). Generally, the less movement you can incorporate the better. I think Alison Balsom is a great example of somebody who uses pivot to their benefit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b24w_ykmwD4&t=414s (skip to about 2:35)
Phil Smith as well also had a very pronounced but atypical pivot (he went diagonally rather than up to down which was interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEFjjGUXKxM about 1:10 here)

But even with these players that pivot and are playing at the highest level, the movement is not exceptionally pronounced, aiming for stillingness but allowing the air to lead the chops. Compared to somebody like Wynton, who I believe to have one of 'the' textbook embouchure, especially in his younger days (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpFaWJQHwbA skip to 11 minutes in).

TL;DR - Movement isn't bad so long as it's a result of leading with the air. Which will typically result in either no movement or just enough to get notes where they need to be.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are videos of Allison Balsom and it looks like she is simply holding the mouthpiece to her lips. She makes it look so easy.

Kent
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: “Resting” face Reply with quote

trpt2honk wrote:
I’m a fan of Tine Thing Helseth for many reasons. Number one….she’s VERY attractive. Number two….she is a cancer overcomer like me.

The main reason I’m writing is because she makes it look so effortless. Is there another player out there who has a more still, non moving “static” embouchure than she does?

Is is a waste of time to try to emulate her “non movement” or should I just give up and flop around as I usually do.

Mike

As long as the sound is good, the technique clean, you move as much as you need to. When the intervals aren't large there's no reason for there to be a lot of externally obvious movement because the changes in tension are subtle.

Allen Vizzutti is probably as efficient a player as has ever existed, when he plays pieces that require big intervallic leaps his setup moves some.

What matters is what you sound like, not what you look like.

Link

I imagine if Tine were to attempt something like this her setup would move too.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: “Resting” face Reply with quote

trpt2honk wrote:
I’m a fan of Tine Thing Helseth for many reasons. Number one….she’s VERY attractive.

This is such a gross comment. Can we please stop saying crap like this? Creep level: expert.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Tine Thing Helseth is a great example of efficient playing. I also agree that I wish we would collectively talk about female artists as artists rather than eye-candy.
Just_Another_Hack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: “Resting” face Reply with quote

trpt2honk wrote:
I’m a fan of Tine Thing Helseth for many reasons. Number one….she’s VERY attractive.

Weirdo. Everybody, hide your kids.
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Tower of Power last week in Charlottesville VA. Absolutely killing. Adolfo Acosta and Mike Bogart are paragons of stasis. I was struck by this seeing them earlier this year, so I took binox this time. Only when Iron Mike took a solo into the doubles did I see any sign of effort, and it was still minimal compared to the output. Otherwise I couldn't detect any facial tension in either player. I would guess that Mike's rock-solid stance is due, at least in part, to his military training. That stance is a good mental image for me to emulate to help reduce unnecessary movement and tension.

Both these guys are models of efficiency, and they just play great!
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: “Resting” face Reply with quote

trpt2honk wrote:

Mike

I had no idea who you were talking about, and I had to look her up.

Yes, she is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: