• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Storing PDFs.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Storing PDFs. Reply with quote

Where’s the best place on an iPad to store PDFs such as downloads from qpress.ca?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some reason not to use iCloud? I have most of my current band repertoire there. 99 cents a month for lots of storage.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
deanoaks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what exactly you're trying to store.

Books are best on iBooks (obviously)

Any score or part that you're hoping to play-off of, study, or otherwise have intentions to markup are best stored on the app ForScore https://apps.apple.com/us/app/forscore/id363738376 Genuinely the best purchase I've ever made on an Apple device.

If you're trying to create a backup to make sure that you don't lose whatever PDFs you have, download it to your Files app and ensure you have your iCloud storage turned on. Depending on the number of PDFs you have, you may want to get a monthly subscription to Apple for large amounts of storage.
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForScore for everything. If someone doesn’t sell their book as a PDF, I either photocopy or convert it to PDF so I can use it in my ForScore.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, guys! I’m trying to consolidate all my downloads in the same, easy to find place. Right now they’re scattered throughout my iPad and it’s driving me crazy.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForScore is terrific! It instantly solved my problem. Thanks for the great tip!

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the iPad is just a giant phone that can't make phone calls. It doesn't have a directory/file system. Each program is responsible for the files it uses. I've been using ForScore for many years and it just keeps track of it all.

Don't know how to check this but if I had a PDF in ForScore and for some reason needed that PDF in a different program, I suspect I'd have to upload it again into that program

Do I wish it had a file system itself and all the ForScore files were accessible somehow outside of ForScore? Yes! But it is what it is and ForScore works great keeping track of my 5000+ items.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH wrote:
Don't forget the iPad is just a giant phone that can't make phone calls. It doesn't have a directory/file system. Each program is responsible for the files it uses. I've been using ForScore for many years and it just keeps track of it all.

DOH!

Well, now I understand why, after over 40 years of programming, using, and generally ham handing IBM /DOS / Windows computer systems, I have been so frustrated for the last year trying to force my 2 iPads to bend to my will and store my music into neat little concert and performance based folders! 😀

Don't know if that little beam of light on my flawed approach will help me change my ill conceived approach, but I will try.

I use ForScore and a PDF program to create, or edit/pull my parts out of the band's scores and then the iPad File app to organize the folders, coax them up to the iCloud and share it to my larger iPad to download and read in band. I knew it was not the easy way, but, as they say around this area, "It's the Cowboy Way!"

Sorry for complications to a rather simple question.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my PDFs are created on my iPad. From there I export them to my Google Drive and also copy them to my PC which is backed up to Carbonite. Then I import them into Forscore on my iPad. Lots of redundancy because I REALLY don't want to lose my files.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a combination of forScore and Goodreader. I keep most of my method books in folders in Goodreader. My sheet music is in forScore.

GR 66M/66MS/66**
Bach Strad 37
Getzen 3052
Yamaha 6345
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some ditties I’ve learned about forScore...

First, why would the company spell it that way...lower case "f" and upper case "S?"

forScore

I get frustrated when companies do that kind of thing. I guess it's supposed to mean: This is a place "for (your) Score." I digress.

Second, did you know that they have made the forScore application for the Mac? You can get it from the App Store on your Mac, just like from the App Store on your iPad. (I don't think they've made it compatible for Windows. It's principally made for the iPad, which is an Apple device and not, say, a Kindle. Maybe they have, and I've missed it.) You can edit .pdfs on your Mac, using all of the regular forScore tools, like adding accidentals, articulations, and dynamic markings. Then you can transfer them to your iPad. Some things may be easier with a mouse or trackpad on the Mac, and some things are definitely easier to do with your finger directly in forScore on your iPad. You choose.

Third, you can "transfer" edited files back and forth between your Mac and iPad. If I've made a lot of edits on a trumpet book to a musical, I can then save it to Dropbox or back on my Mac.

To help with using the Mac version, you "bring up" the toolbar by merely clicking in the middle of the score page...too far to the right or left will turn the page or do nothing. There are not any convenient instructions to do this, so you have to approach it like kids in junior high, who just start clicking on things and discovering on their own how to do stuff, which is super frustrating for us adults, who are used to reading and following instructions. (I’m sure it’s documented on their website, but who wants to go there for something simple, like pulling up the application’s toolbar?!) To send/share an annotated file, select the toolbox, which is the far right tool and select "Share" from the popdown menu. It works this way on both the iPad and Mac, and that’s, in a nutshell, how you share edited files back and forth.

So far I haven't discovered a way to make my Mac version forScore library "reflect" exactly what is already on my iPad, like, say, your iPhone reflects what is in your Contacts on your Mac, where if you edit one, the other reflects the same through the mysterious Internet “cloud.” Instead, you have to share your annotated iPad file back to the Mac to get exactly what you've already edited. Then you can further edit the same file on your Mac and share it back to your iPad. I do most of my sharing from Mac to iPad via Dropbox, but I suppose there are other ways? I dunno.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
First, why would the company spell it that way...lower case "f" and upper case "S?"

forScore

I get frustrated when companies do that kind of thing.

Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_case

Should cure the frustration . . . maybe not.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First, why would the company spell it that way...lower case "f" and upper case "S?" forScore

Marketing. Attention getting.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
dstpt wrote:

forScore

Ah, the evolution of our language, and yes, "friend" is a noun and a verb. Would never have imagined that as a high school kid back in the 19__s.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Era of the Camel Case Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
Halflip wrote:
dstpt wrote:

forScore

Ah, the evolution of our language, and yes, "friend" is a noun and a verb. Would never have imagined that as a high school kid back in the 19__s.

Perhaps the last thirty years will become known to English language scholars as the, "Era of the Camel Case."

As for me, I'm still waiting for the spelling reformation which will make written English much more phonetic.
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Era of the Camel Case Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
As for me, I'm still waiting for the spelling reformation which will make written English much more phonetic.

Shouldn't that be "fonetic?!"
rrova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, thanks alot for this thread! I was concerned because I've heard of people not being able to organize their music in a meaningful way on their iPad. Since Id want to organize it similar to how I would do in Windows, I was looking at Samsung. But now I understand why the iPad doesn't do it the way I want, but that forScore does (which I would've have bought anyway). Now I know!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwood66 wrote:
I use a combination of forScore and Goodreader. I keep most of my method books in folders in Goodreader. My sheet music is in forScore.

I have everything in GoodReader at the moment - at some point I need to update my tablet situation (my "new" iPad is getting old at this point) and get something that has the following characteristics:

1. Larger
2. Use forScore
3. Use a bluetooth pedal page turner (I was given one by a friend but could never get it to work with GoodReader)
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: