• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

favorite comeback resources

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilsonaaronm08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:29 pm    Post subject: favorite comeback resources Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I used to be very active on this forum as a silly high schooler (and a different username). Now, in my 30s, I've decided to practice a bit more. I tried searching for resources on the forum but it's a bit daunting.

What are your favorite exercises, videos, books, etc? Bonus points for downloadable content.

Thanks!
Human living in Philly. Played trumpet in a traveling punk band for a decade. Terrible at jazz but wish I wasn't. What I lack in talent I make up for in volume. Philadelphia's best bar tending trumpeter!
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took about four years off, essentially, when my kids were young and picked it back up seriously last Christmas. The things that helped me the most were:

1) Starting with Rubank Elementary Book 1 - I went back to the very basics
1b) Getchell Practical Studies for Trumpet & Cornet Books 1 & 2 - These provided the melodic content to keep things interesting
1c) The Adam 20 Minute Routine - downloadable from Greg Wing's website - I used this to warm up after the Rubank stuff got up to the top of the staff

2) The Reinhardt Routines - Purchase online from Rich Willey - I moved to this after finishing the Rubank & Getchell stuff - This has helped my endurance and range a lot. I can make it through a two hour coummnity band rehearsal now.

3) The Warburton P.E.T.E. - this device is the other half of what has helped the most with endurance and range. I never really understood how to engage and use corners until working with the P.E.T.E.

Also, do all this on a middle-of-the-road mouthpiece. I used a 7C when I started my comeback, spent some time on a 5C, and have settled on a Jupiter 3C (those are surprisingly nice).

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is the info I wrote about basic embouchure function. The intent of the article is to help people who might have 'learned wrong' from the beginning and are confused by reading and seeing all the current info that is available about 'how to play'.
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/Embouchure_Basic_Concepts.htm
or
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/Embouchure_Basic_Concepts.docx

As for material to play and practice, Arban's is still excellent, and there are lots of 'fake books' available for songs of many different styles and time periods.

And of course, get a good teacher to make sure you don't fall back into any bad habits from the past.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet for the Beginning or Comeback Player - Hickman

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best all-in-one method I have come across is "Mitchell on Trumpet" by Harold Mitchell. It offers a series of 84 comprehensive lessons starting at a level appropriate for a beginner or someone returning to the trumpet and ending at a very advanced level. Highly recommended.

Bill Knevitt's "The Developing Trumpet Player" is a reasonable alternative, but with just 18 comprehensive lessons. For someone who has been away from the trumpet for quite a long time, Knevitt's "Getting Started Right" may be a better place to begin, and then move to "The Developing Trumpet Player" from there.

David Hickman's "100 Progressive Lessons" mentioned in a previous response is also quite good, but works best when paired with a book like Claude Gordon's "Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing." You might even add Lowell Little's "Embouchure Builder."
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
The best all-in-one method I have come across is "Mitchell on Trumpet" by Harold Mitchell. It offers a series of 84 comprehensive lessons starting at a level appropriate for a beginner or someone returning to the trumpet and ending at a very advanced level. Highly recommended.

I have been using it for the last 10 months and am quite satisfied with both the book and my progress.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like exercises and non-musical content. I use the solos in the back of Arban and St. Jacome. Plus I have downloaded numerous old cornet solos from the source below:

https://imslp.org/index.php?title=Category:Scores_featuring_the_cornet&transclude=Template:Catintro

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
kevinh8swriting

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of play-along duet videos on youtube that can really make practicing a lot more enjoyable. E.g., https://youtu.be/QZD_00mCFUE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: