• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Different Carnivals of Venice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
freddy.maresca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Different Carnivals of Venice Reply with quote

Hi Trumpet Herald,
I am currently working on my culminating project for my graduate degree in Trumpet Pedagogy. My project is a lecture recital/thesis wherein I am analyzing and performing the different approaches to technique in seven different versions of Carnival of Venice. My survey includes the arrangements of:

Arban
Levy
Hartmann
Rimmer
Bellstedt
Clarke
Del Staigers

I was wondering if anyone knew of any other versions of this piece (excluding Carnival of Venus and the Harry James recording)
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vizzutti arranged it as Carnival of Venus, which he recorded and published through the International Trumpet Guild several decades ago.
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played and still use during most warm-ups a version arranged by Fred Weber.

Info: (c) 1947 (Renewed 1975) Belwin Mills Publishing Corp., All rights reserved by Warner Bros. Publications Inc.

I would call this a basic level, not advanced, arrangement. For me it's good enough to help get my articulation going.

Edit: Spellcheck correction: Belwin Mills

Last edited by ECLtmpt2 on Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hirt did a series of variations with the Boston Pops that I have not heard from anyone or anywhere else. I don't have the greatest ears in the world, but I hear some key modulations and, more obviously, some different orchestral styles (a march, a segment that sounds just like the intro to Bewitched, a bit that sounds like Funiculi, Funicula, etc), and some unique variations for Hirt, too.

Here's the recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPEjdd_CKho

EDIT: according to the link it was arranged by Richard Hayman.
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB
1965 Conn Connstellation 38A cornet
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel

Last edited by Subtropical and Subpar on Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an arrangement of The Carnival of Venice in the collection "The Cornetist's Joy" edited by Walter M. Smith. The arranger is listed as "A.R. Ranger," which may be an actual name or the equivalent of Alan Smithee, not sure. It is intermediate level, and distinct from the other arrangements I have come across.

There is a massive collection of cornet solos that were edited by Hermann Koenig in "Koenig's Journal: Music for Cornet and Piano." I'd say there is a decent possibility of an arrangement in that collection as well, but it does not have an index that I am aware of.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a compilation of some of Al Hirt's popular charts called, "Al (He's the King) Hirt" there is a "Carnival of Venice" which has just about nothing to do with the Boston Pops arrangement. Mostly scotched together rip offs of the more famous variations. I was a huge fan of his back then (much to the disdain of my band directors). They didn't appreciate him as a technical wizard. I still have Al Hirt practice sessions with my Courtois signature trumpet and Jet Tones. Only late at night with the curtains drawn. Guilt lasts long.

Then there is a rarely seen "Vacchiano Miniature Variations on the Carnival of Venice for Piccolo and Eb Trumpet". Editions Peter's No. 67887. 50 pages with 110 variations. I only keep it handy in case I ever forget the need for humility regarding my technique or worthiness to play the Lord's instrument!

Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.

Last edited by huntman10 on Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a compilation of some of Al Hirt's popular charts called, "Al (He's the King) Hirt" there is a "Carnival of Venice" which has just about nothing to do with the Boston Pops arrangement. Mostly scotched together rip offs of the more famous variations. I was a huge fan of his back then (much to the disdain of my band directors). They didn't appreciate him as a technical wizard. I still have Al Hirt practice sessions with my Signature Courtois and Jet Tones. Late at night with curtains drawn.

Guilt lasts long.

Then there is a rarely seen "Vacchiano Miniature Variations on the Carnival of Venice for Piccolo and Eb Trumpet". Editions Peter's No. 67887. 50 pages with 110 variations. I only keep it handy in case I ever forget the need for humility regarding my technique or worthiness to play the Lord's instrument!

R. Dale Olson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:23 pm    Post subject: Carnval ........... Reply with quote

Two very dear friends of mine are perhaps the foremost authorities on the various iterations of the Carnival.....

Vinnie DiMartino has played them all (on one concert of all things).

George Foreman (retired Professor of Musicology at University of Georgia) has likewise long studied these pieces, and has worked in concert with Vinnie and Gabe functioning as conductor on concerts in which "all" Carnivals have been played.

Both Vinnie and George are highly responsive and may assist.

RDO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: