• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do I quote something from another post?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan Rivera

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:43 am    Post subject: How do I quote something from another post? Reply with quote

When replying to someone's post, how do I put the quote of what they said at the top of my reply. Is there a set of instructions somewhere showing how to use all the facilities of the forum? I'm finding it confusing.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: How do I quote something from another post? Reply with quote

Stan Rivera wrote:
When replying to someone's post, how do I put the quote of what they said at the top of my reply. Is there a set of instructions somewhere showing how to use all the facilities of the forum? I'm finding it confusing.

Click the "quote" button at top right of the other person's post. In your new post it will show a set of tags enclosing the quoted text, in square brackets. You can use this as a template to make up any sort of misattribution you want

Abraham Lincoln wrote:
Ayryq is the finest trumpet player on this forum

DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rivera wrote:

All you have to do is click on the little rectangular "Quote" button at the top right corner the post you want to quote (if you scroll through a thread with a lot of posts, you will see that there is a quote button on every post). The "Post a reply" page will open, with the post you want to quote already inserted at the top of the text box, framed by bracketed parameters that delimit the quote string and identify which member you are quoting. You can type whatever you want before or after the quoted post. You can also delete parts of the quote that you want to exclude. Finally (this is for advanced users), you can insert other quote strings by manually typing the bracketed opening and closing quote parameters around a string that you want to have treated as a quote (you need to use the member ID of the member you are quoting in the opening parameter).

It's a good idea to use the "Preview" button at the bottom of the "Post a reply" page to make sure everything turns out the way you want; the quoted strings should appear indented under a bolded label that identifies the member being quoted (i.e., Member Name Wrote:)

I quoted you just to show how it should look.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually right-click on the 'quote' button to open in a new tab. And then copy the sections from those alternate tabs into a single combined post. When finished, just close all those extra tabs.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: