• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A mouthpiece confession

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENINCA wrote:
enrico wrote:
I ask Delano what he thinks of the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz (no lead), in general and also compared to other similar mouthpieces.

I have that mouthpiece and I like it a lot. Nice dark tone and a very comfortable rim. It's not my current main MP, but I'm not selling it, either.

It always seemed brighter to me than the Bach 3c. Very similar to the Bach 3C Corp.
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bobby Shew Jazz is almost a copy of the 14B4 which is a 3C equivalent. Not a small mouthpiece. There's also the Bobby Shew Lead which is very shallow with a tighter backbore.

enrico wrote:
ENINCA wrote:
enrico wrote:
I ask Delano what he thinks of the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz (no lead), in general and also compared to other similar mouthpieces.

I have that mouthpiece and I like it a lot. Nice dark tone and a very comfortable rim. It's not my current main MP, but I'm not selling it, either.

Dark sound???????????????
BudBix
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another cool thing about Yamaha mouthpieces are the signature series which allow you to get an orchestral spec mouthpiece at a low price. For instance the Tom Hooten and Mark Gould mouthpieces are like a Bach 1 1/4C with a bigger throat and symphonic backbore.

See Jon Talks Trumpet's YouTube video

Link
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought a slightly used Yam Chi C gen 1 off the marketplace here a few years back, the seller included a stock Hagstrom piece. It bottomed out against the leadpipe in the receiver so I never played around on it for quite some time.

Fast forward a few years and I began using an old Jet Tone 3A (no idea what it compares to) from my 70s rock band days for a long and high show that summer and loved it all over again for that kind of playing. (FWIW, I also use a Carl Fischer (!) 7C* on pic, so going back and forth from the Jet Tone to Pic in the show worked very well.) I then took a bit off of the end of the Hagstrom and started using with the C. Balances everything out quite wll and I'm now using it all of the time for the C horn.

I believe the Hagstrom is a 6 Bach rim, so I dragged out an old 7C and started using it on Bb. Would never have convinced me to try that 40 years ago.

I'd also been using the Yamaha 15E4 that came with the 946 rotor tpt for 15 years or so, which sounds much better than a standard cup and backbore on the rotary tpt.

I used Schilke rims (19, then 15) for 40 years or so and while the Jet tone, Bach (for regular Bb work) and Yamaha rims seem more flat and sharp, I feel like my older chops are more fitting to them now. Glad I did some playing around after 40 years...
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enrico wrote:
ENINCA wrote:
enrico wrote:

Dark sound???????????????

The Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz, yes indeed. Are you perhaps thinking of the Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead?
annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yamaha bobby shew jazz doesn't look dark to me. It is brighter than the Bach 3c
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

annvill wrote:
The yamaha bobby shew jazz doesn't look dark to me. It is brighter than the Bach 3c

It depends on where you're coming from. I played a shallower mouthpiece for decades because it worked for pretty much all the playing I did and still do. I had deeper mouthpieces I used when it was appropriate, but didn't need them very often.

I have since moved to a smaller diameter, so those deeper mouthpieces I used to play are now uncomfortably large. When I joined the local community college symphonic band and wanted a deeper mouthpiece, I bought a Bobby Shew Jazz. It's the deepest mouthpiece I use on Bb trumpet, I'm happy with the sound I'm getting, and all the feedback I'm getting is positive.

I really don't care if a Bach 3C might be darker, because I don't feel the need to sound any darker on Bb trumpet.
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, also, like Yamahas.

The Shew Jazz has what is probably the most comfortable rim I've ever played.

The 14B4 is less comfortable, but it really sizzles.

The 15B4 gave me the best accuracy I've ever had. I mean, I rarely split a note with it. Sadly, it turned out to be a bit too wide for me, as it killed my range and endurance. A pity.
ALETRUMPET

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rim of the BSJ is certainly comfortable, but the sound is clearly inferior (fewer colors, low notes leave much to be desired, although a comfortable rim is very tiring) to the modern Bach 3C.
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALETRUMPET wrote:
The rim of the BSJ is certainly comfortable, but the sound is clearly inferior (fewer colors, low notes leave much to be desired, although a comfortable rim is very tiring) to the modern Bach 3C.

Yeah, I'm no longer a fan of the tone I get with the BSJ. The low register is kind of ... meh-blah ... for lack of a better word. The upper register is easier though, at least for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: