• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Questions on the comeback community

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuso

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:48 am    Post subject: Questions on the comeback community Reply with quote

Hi all,

After a 30 year break, I hit life's reset button and now am 3 months into "THE RESTART".

Day 1 was like I couldn't play a note, and now I've built up enough chops to actually start practicing a routine based on Iron's, Clarke's & Arban's.

The questions that have arised:

1). If you're still playing your 50 year old horn, have you found it inferior to modern equipment?

2). Have you forgotten how to breathe properly?

3). Did it take you 6 weeks until you had enough chops to start double tonguing?

4). How long did you wait until you played your first gig?

Of course the questions are general in nature, however any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Couesnon Flugelhorn
Yamaha YTR-9820 Piccolo
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on the comeback community Reply with quote

1). If you're still playing your 50 year old horn, have you found it inferior to modern equipment?
All three of my trumpets are vintage but I have owned new horns, too. I personally haven't found a difference because of age.

No. And unlike some Forum members who want to micro-analyze this question, I think it's quite simple.

Did it take you 6 weeks until you had enough chops to start double tonguing?
You can work on it immediately,

How long did you wait until you played your first gig?
How do you define "gig"?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Cuso

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on the comeback community Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers.

kehaulani wrote:
All three of my trumpets are vintage but I have owned new horns, too. I personally haven't found a difference because of age.

Maybe just the horn I tested is better for me now

No. And unlike some Forum members who want to micro-manage this question, I think it's quite simple.

I just find myself inhaling much too shallow, which wasn't a problem before

Did it take you 6 weeks until you had enough chops to start double tonguing?
You can work on it immediately,

I mean like Arban's characteristic studies, medium tempo

How long did you wait until you played your first gig? How do you define "gig"?

Soul/Funk standards, 2.5 hours, lots of C's & D's some endings with a E/F#
Single trumpet player in section. Loud³..

Couesnon Flugelhorn
Yamaha YTR-9820 Piccolo
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back to trumpet playing!

Quote:

As long as the horn you are using is in good mechanical condition -- valves are smooth and fast, slides work smoothly, no major dents, etc. -- you probably won't notice much difference between vintage and new at this stage. If you have doubts about your horn take it to your local repair shop.

At some point you might want to explore whether a different trumpet is a better match for you, but if you do that before you are playing at a high level again there is good likelihood you'll be wasting money.

Quote:
3). Did it take you 6 weeks until you had enough chops to start double tonguing?

There is no particular reason to wait to double tongue, though you might find it useful to spend time working on smooth single and k tonguing before you add multiple tonguing to the mix. if you don't single and k tongue well you probably won't multiple tongue well either.

Quote:

This depends on how long it takes to get your chops back in shape to play the gig (whatever it might be), and how long before you are reading music well again. The six-month mark might be a good time to start thinking about that, particularly if you are practicing regularly. By that point you might be ready to rehearse with a community group. Those rehearsals will be a good measure of when you'll be ready to perform.

Give thought to working with a teacher. He/she can help you put together a routine -- what to practice, and how to do so -- that is aligned with your goals.

Good luck!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on the comeback community Reply with quote

Cuso wrote:
Hi all,

After a 30 year break, I hit life's reset button and now am 3 months into "THE RESTART".

Day 1 was like I couldn't play a note, and now I've built up enough chops to actually start practicing a routine based on Iron's, Clarke's & Arban's.

Of course the questions are general in nature, however any answers would be greatly appreciated.

"Modern equipment" is subjective. The Bach Strad people are playing now was derived shortly after Vincent Bach sold to Selmer in 1961 - with that in mind a 50-year old trumpet IS modern equipment, at least in terms of design. All of the Schilke B models and the X3 were introduced in the 1960s as well, and have remained virtually unchanged.

Everyone breathes properly - we'd die if we didn't. If you're talking about breath control, that's something that has to be developed and then maintained. Years ago after doing nothing but big band and rock band for a while, I did a stint in a community concert band, and I had to redevelop my ability to play the longer phrases required, and I never really stopped playing. For me it was a matter of adapting. Either way, it doesn't take long to redevelop it provided you are working on.

I agree with those who say you can start working on it immediately.

This is going to be different for different people. I once had a hiatus of about 18 months, but played my first gig after about a month after I got a call asking if I could sub a one-set big band gig. Then again, I gigged for money most of my adult life, so I was playing at a pretty solid level of proficiency before I stopped playing.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers to all of your questions, and more, will depend upon the goal(s) you've set for yourself in your return to playing. If you have a performance/gig in mind in the near future, you'll need to be quite focused to accomplish your necessary skill level and endurance.

If, on the other hand, you just have become bored being a spectator rather than a participant, who cares? Get back to playing and see where it takes you.

Your redevelopment will likely depend heavily upon the amount of time you set aside for your playing. I've always referred to "playing" rather than "practicing" for obvious and childish reasons. Even if you are only to be able to play the things you did 30 years ago, that probably wouldn't be all that bad in itself. If you can make improvements, all the better.

How ever you approach it, I suggest that you keep personal enjoyment and satisfaction as primary goals. Try not to make it "work". I have too many colleagues who had performance careers that no longer touch their instruments since retirement. I feel sorry for them. Good luck, and all the best!
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on the comeback community Reply with quote

Cuso wrote:
Hi all,

20 Year break.
1. The 20 year old Blessing ML-1 isn't as good as the 25 year old Strad I got for Christmas.
2. Nope I've made it a point to try and breathe every day of my life.
3. No
4. What's a gig? Any performance in public? Played taps the first day. Played at the World Baseball Classic this March nearly 3 years into the comeback. I don't really seek out opportunities to play in public. Just not playing the trumpet for that. Self enjoyment and making a fun video once in awhile are my goals.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on the comeback community Reply with quote

Quadstriker wrote:
I don't really seek out opportunities to play in public. Just not playing the trumpet for that. Self enjoyment and making a fun video once in awhile are my goals.

I sometimes wish I could do that - I play because I love music, but what I really love about it is the performance aspect of it. It can be anything from playing in a classic rock bar band at an American Legion - my most recent gigging - or it can be the tremendous rush of the crowd on their feet screaming in a packed 15,000 seat auditorium, or it can be playing hymns and descants in church.

I had a bit of an epiphany one night a handful of years ago when I went to an open mic night at this little dive bar to support a friend of mine who wanted to sing. All of these people were just playing and singing their guts out for nothing more than the joy of being able to play for a small crowd. I thought about it and realized that it had been years since I had played or sung a note on trumpet, drums or voice where there wasn't a monetary payment attached to it.

Getting paid is nice, but I realized that night that I never did it for the money, and since then I've made an effort to do more performance just for the joy of being a part of a performing ensemble.

I still haven't figured out how to just be a practice room trumpeter playing for my own enjoyment. For me there has to be some kind of a gig attached to it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Cuso

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks a lot guys! Nice to know there is still some humor amongst us geezers.

I used to play for a living but after my daughters arrived, I needed to get a somewhat secured job to keep everyone fed. As at the beginning of the 1990's sequencers & synthesizers started to replace horns in dance bands (which always paid better than fun jobs), I had to make a life choice.

Amor Fati. Never regretted that decision, but the only job I could do kept me busy on Saturdays & Sundays. As family life moved into the forefront, Trumpet playing just kind of faded away.

Back in the mid 80's and after a season in a circus here in Germany, I had to rebuild. So I know how to do it, I know what routines effected that process, and I remember how the progress felt. It now feels like it did about halfway through the ordeal so I've taken the leap of faith and have done 2 gigs (Tower of Power/BS&T style cover band) without totally killing myself.

That being said(written), here is some expansion on my questions:

I tested a YTR-8335LA S 2nd Gen (amongst others) and discovered that both of my Benge 3X's are no longer serviceable. One is long overdue to be put to pasture, and the one I've been using just doesn't provide the efficiency that I need. To pay so much to have it overhauled for a marginal improvment just doesn't make sense to me. Done. Ordered the new axe and it'll be here this week. Feel like I'm 8 years old and my father is bringing me a baseball home from a Cub's game.

Breathing (HaHa...are we dead yet?) has become a active issue to get through any passages of moderate length. I almost always feel like I need to exhale excess CO2 during long tones...it's not like I need to inhale to take in O2...but to expel CO2. Probably just overthinking a natural process.

The double tonguing issue concerns splatty attacks, which could be weak chops, my 13A4A mouthpiece, or a combination of the two. This mostly happens above the staff so I think I'll grow out of the issue.

I need to play on stage, with and for real people. I know it's just my ego but there is nothing that feeds that monster like burning through the coda and ripping off of that last high note.

It was once said that some musicians despise lead players because of their egos and to them I say; when you've worked hard enough to play a Broadway/Vegas lead book, day after day until the show has run it's course, you've earned the right to feed the beast.

And have a cold one.
Couesnon Flugelhorn
Yamaha YTR-9820 Piccolo
lschofield

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my rap on new v old:

There were obviously a lot of great horns of old, otherwise all the new stuff wouldn't be so derived and copied and in some cases produced on the same machinery. I think in the past quality control was the bigger issue; what impresses me most about new equipment is how consistent new equipment is from horn to horn, and how good low cost equipment is. It used to be that you had to play a lot of horns in the store to find the right one or avoid a lemon, but my most recent purchases surprised me that none of the ones I tried were bad, just different.

I have a 75 LA Benge 2, and the only reason I shopped was that the lead pipe is rotting out. I bought two new horns, but a big driver was that the kind of music I want to play has shifted, my Benge is a very bright horn. It was great for dance music, but hard to get a dark sound out of it. But I would have not shopped if the Benge wasn't in danger.

No, the big issue is the physical aspects of playing at 60 v playing at 20. Recovery takes longer, endurance isn't nearly as good. But, the one good thing about the long layoff is that I picked up the horn without remembering the bad habits. My range is way better, I never got three octaves out of the horn when I was young. And, my practicing is a way more efficient use of time as I recognize better what to focus on.

Maybe, I remember the first year was very frustrating as everything was in my head but nothing came out the horn. First 6 weeks for me was mostly long tones with very little time for tongue drills.

I have not done a paying gig, and that's not the motivation for me. I waited two years before I did something in pubic, and it was an improve camp with about 80 other adults of varying skills levels. But, it gave me the confidence that I had recovered a lot of my ability and I have played publicly in jam sessions since.

Best of luck in your journey. Mine's been more than I had hoped.
1975 Benge (LA)
1972 Olds Ambassador
kevinh8swriting

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played very seriously through middle school and high school, doing youth orchestra, regional and all state band, and a summer in what became the Academy Drum and Bugle Corps. After graduating HS in 2005, I played a bit in rock bands through my college years. Then I largely put the horn down for a solid decade before picking it back up in January 2020. For about three years I've noodled around, seeing rapid improvement at first and then a disappointing plateau. In the past 3 months I've been diligent about eating my vegetables, so to speak--that is, establishing a solid routine that will build a better foundation for improvement.

My horn is a Yamaha 6335HGSII that my parents bought me in 2000 or 2001. I also had a Xeno C trumpet that was purchased a couple of years later, and that I kick myself nearly every day for getting rid of. But I consider my equipment modern and very playable.

I sure had. For some reason I was very prone to a sort of breath vibrato that sounded terrible and was the opposite of the type of exhale we strive for.

Multiple tonguing was always my weak point. I'd say I was about as good as I ever was within 6 weeks. I'll be adding multiple tonguing to my routine soon and I have no doubt I'll soon be better with it than I ever was.

Haven't played out yet. My family is moving cross-country soon, and my goal is to join a community concert band upon arrival.
JFisher63

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: On the same journey as comeback player Reply with quote

My story at age 60: I began playing in middle school 1975 continued through HS graduation in 1981 (a Bundy Selmer student horn circa 74?) From HS I put the horn away & enlisted in the US Air Force as Security Police. After 6 yrs I got out, attended college, then grad school, & eventually started playing trumpet again in my 30s (bought a 1951 F.E. Olds Ambassador LA horn). But life got really busy at age 41 & I transitioned back to the Air Force, this time as an officer & active duty chaplain. As a chaplain my guitar hobby took the place of the trumpet. At times I was a one man worship team in the field & it’s easier to lead singing & accompany with a guitar than with a trumpet & a MPC against your lips! I retired in 2020 with 22 yrs service. Five months ago I took the plunge & became a “comeback” player.

I still have the student Bundy Cornet & it’s sweet for a student horn. Had it serviced by pro in Orlando, FL who was amazed at its sound & quality & it's almost 50 yr old horn. Because of the LA Ambassador I bought 20+ yrs ago, I’ve fallen in love with the F.E. Olds horns. At my age with more disposable income I’ve purchased several Olds horns - from entry level Ambassadors to top of the line Mendez & horns dating from 1939 to 1968. They all have their specific personalities. I also picked up a Yamaha C trumpet (circa 1977) but I am not yet to “C” level abilities on range. The big thing I’ve found in equipment is I’ve out grown the old standard 7C MPC. I believe I am settling in on 3C or 3E as my go to MPC lately after playing around with different MPCs.

Breathe control has taken some focus. Learning to not take in too much & holding it, but finding the right balance in breathe. Also learning to skim the music and realize my breathing dynamics depending on the note value and pitch etc.

I’ve never had tonguing issues – so no biggie for me on doubles.

I am still working into when I am going to “unveil” to public – My wife recently said, “Hey you’re really getting better” as she listened to me practice in an adjacent room (sans practice mute even!) I’ve never been big on "performance for show" - but I've been more "performance out of necessity" because I was a chaplain & I am now a civilian clergy once again. Also, despite my career, I am a natural introvert. Lastly, there’s no big rush or need for my abilities. I am surrounded by 6 excellent musicians who can run circles around me. Multi-talented, they're skilled in keyboard, guitar, bass, banjo, mandolin, harp, flute, sax, vibes, various percussion, Irish whistle, & even bagpipe! And about any genre/style of music you can name! Oddly, there’s no brass players. So we will see at what point I am brave enough to sit in on something. They’re all aces at on the spot transposition – I skill I need to acquire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: