• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

which of these vintage cornets is potentially loudest?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morifori

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I've passed it all on.

We'll try mouthpieces. Trumpet use and (brand) new cornet were all firmly rejected although if I (somehow) produce something from the '60s*, I think I could get a nibble. (I sez, "A new cornet doesn't look that different from a Collegiate--nobody would have to notice, right?" "nope.") At least this kid saves me money!

But like y'all say, if you want to be loud you have to play loud, and the biggest, most impactful, area of potential improvement is the kid.

*a cornet from the '60s I mean. A trumpet we have from the '60s has been rejected based on its being a trumpet.

With that, it's up to the kid now. I appreciate all the guidance!
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morifori wrote:
Trumpet use and (brand) new cornet were all firmly rejected although if I (somehow) produce something from the '60s*, I think I could get a nibble. (I sez, "A new cornet doesn't look that different from a Collegiate--nobody would have to notice, right?" "nope.") At least this kid saves me money!

Sounds like your kid has excellent taste in musical instruments .

Morifori wrote:
Part of it is preference for the shape and sound and, yes, uniqueness.

Given your kid's taste, another cornet that may be worth considering is the Olds Super cornet. It fits the 'uniqueness' criterium and soundwise, it's somewhere inbetween a trumpet and a cornet. Unlike their other cornets, Olds used a trumpet valve block for the Super cornet. From what I've been told the garland on the bell also helps a bit with projection. With different mouthpieces, it can go from mellow and quiet to bright and loud relatively easily. I've used mine as a substitute trumpet at times without issues.

Video
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Morifori

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thank you! She does have good taste. Or I do...I'll add the Olds to the list. Anyway, after hearing other school kids playing trumpets, I feel fortunate to have a gentle cornetist in the house.

I do think it's a shame that the kid won't try a modern instrument. I'm sure she's hampering her progress. She has never even tried a new instrument and doesn't have any idea of the difference it might make.

I'm picturing my next post now: If I hide my kid's cornets and buy a new one she'll be forced to use or risk flunking band, what should I get?

I'm almost there.
Strobe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also vouch for the Olds Super cornet. I have one and like the sound and it has a unique look with the bell ring and nice tone. I also have a King Silvertone (older version of the Silversonic) from the 30's that has a silver bell and brass housing. Cornet sound but can cut through like a trumpet. The Olds Super Cornets are roughly $400(very low side) -$1,000 and the King is around $850- 2000 depending on the engraving and condition. When I grew up, half the band had cornets and the other half trumpets. It really didn't seem to matter as brands can vary and sound more "trumpetish" or "cornetish". You can probably find a Youtube video to hear how they sond - if not let me know and I am happy to help. Best of luck.
Bach Hybrid 239
Olds Super Recording ''40's
King Cleveland ''76 (My First)
Olds Super Cornet ' '59
Boston 3 Star Cornet 1912
King Silvertone Cornet '35
Morifori

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know! Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: