• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How do I get a fuller sound on Flugelhorn?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lukas_conrad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject: How do I get a fuller sound on Flugelhorn? Reply with quote

Compared to my trumpet sound, my flugelhorn sound is extremely thin. Not sure if it’s the horn (used and decently older school horn) or if it’s me.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Flugel sound Reply with quote

Flugelhorn is a personal instrument in that the sound you're after depends on what context you will be playing it in. With the work I've done playing many shows here in Las Vegas, invariably you picked up the flugel cold and had unisons with flutes. I opted for a medium depth mouthpiece which gave me more intonation control. You will obviously hear from some "deeper is better" advocates saying that is the way to a fuller sound. That's true to a point and that point is top line G. After that pitch is shaky. If you're playing in a jazz situation and play deeper mouthpieces, you are in control as to the range you play in. Some will say flugelhorn shouldn't be played above the staff but I was playing with Don Menza's big band and the 1st part had me on C's and D's above the staff and Don is a very good arranger. Compromise with the size you choose.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to follow "The Master's" post but I'll just add that I would get another good Flugelhorn player to play your horn and listen to how it sounds. If the sound is still thin, then it's the horn. If not . .

In that case, I would be listening to your favourite Flugelhorn player and keep trying for that sound. Don't mix the sounds up. One sound.

It could also be that, from trumpet, you're playing with too tight an embouchure. Relax more.

And . . Long Tones. Don't just play them. Concentrate on them.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject: How do I get a fuller sound on flugelhorn Reply with quote

Hello all.
Lucas says that he wonders why he has a thinner sound on flugel than his trumpet. When I sit and play my trumpet, cornet and flugel in the same session, I often ask myself how I can describe the three different timbres. Sometimes after playing cornet, I say to myself, that would be a beautiful flugel sound, then I play my flugel. The flugel has such, what I call, a hollow sound, and the cornet, which is so warm, is so different.
I think that the playing of those two or three different instruments is a matter of perspective and how long you have been accustomed to them. The ear needs to understand the difference between timbres. Without knowing what brand of flugel, what mouthpiece...The best thing to do is to record your playing and hear what the instrument sounds in front of the bell. "Thin," may take on a different meaning.
Also bear in mind that many flugels have a smaller bore/funnel mp, and there may be a conflict of approach that you are feeling when you play the flugel versus trumpet.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of difference between various flugelhorn. We spend all kinds of time talking about the difference between trumpets, but I think there is a greater variation between flugelhorn. That said, the biggest difference is how one plays flugelhorn, as opposed to trumpet.

When I started playing my first flugelhorn, it took about 18 months of experimenting to arrive at a decent approach to the horn. Then, it took more exploring to discover just how much change happens when a different mouthpiece is used; answer = a LOT!

Finally, I learned how different a French taper mouthpiece setup is to the usual Small or Large Morse.

As kehaulani wrote, it is important to listen to flugelhorn players that have the kind of sound you want. If you do what they do, you'll get what they get, essentially.

My guess is that your trumpet sound is also thin, but because it's a trumpet and you're used to the sound you make with it, it's easy to overlook that. I suggest that you find some sort of space that resonates enough that you can hear the sound you're making coming back to you from the room. Play your trumpet and get used to your sound from this perspective. Adjust the tone quality to reflect what you thought you sound like. I bet you will be surprised at what you hear.

Then, take your flugelhorn into that same space and listen to your tone. See what you can do with your embouchure to improve it. Start at mezzo piano and see how little air it takes to get the flugelhorn to sound. Slowly take the volume up and correlate the effort needed to get to a forte-level dynamic. It likely will be much less than you thought.

Open up your mouth cavity as much as possible, slow down your airflow. Try to take a tone down to a whisper until it fades out smoothly, then fade the tone back in smoothly in one breath. Can you control it? Find a way to master that.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the proper taper mouthpiece for your model of flugelhorn? If you aren't sure, check out this helpful guide from Bob Reeves:

https://bobreeves.com/blog/the-ultimate-flugelhorn-mouthpiece-shank-guide/

In many cases, you can fit a mouthpiece with the incorrect type of flugehorn taper into your flugelhorn, but your sound will suffer.

If you have the proper taper mouthpiece (and a flugelhorn-type cup), and your flugelhorn is in good repair, then it is likely your approach to playing the flugelhorn. You've already received some helpful advice on that front.

Good luck!
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has already been mentioned, but the easiest and perhaps the most effective way to change your sound is the mouthpiece. Tell us specifically what you are using for both the mouthpiece and the flugelhorn.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tossing other thoughts, on the tail of already great insights from already great players and experts…
But “thin” can mean different things to different people… are you referring to volume/loudness/projection, or more tone or timbre?

I’ll toss other thoughts out there that I didn’t notice already mentioned… the power of “backing off”… what bore is your flugelhorn? I think a lot of trumpet players approach flugelhorn like the trumpet and overblow, thus getting a lot of back pressure.
It would be good to know what bore/model you play on. As already mentioned, mpc has a HUGE impact on both timbre and volume.
Other thought I have on thin timbre is the power of YOU as the instrument. When I want a fat sound, I also open the jaw and back of the mouth/throat. You can even selectively enhance overtones using your mouth and throat as a part of the total instrument. Just some thoughts…
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML

Last edited by ConnArtist on Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnArtist wrote:
Other thought I have on thin timbre is the power of YOU as the instrument. When I want a fat sound, I also open the jaw and back of the mouth/throat. You can even selectively enhance overtones using your mouth and throat as a part of the total instrument. Just some thoughts…

------------------
I agree that your 'sound concept' needs to be different on flugel than trumpet. Perhaps try getting a more 'French horn' sound - try to get the sound to 'fill the room' than to 'project it' in a linear manner.

Flugel might be shaped somewhat like a trumpet, but it needs its own 'approach' to get the best 'warm & rich' tone.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops... and now than I am on a computer and not a mobile with tiny screen (and thus easier to read rather than skim), I see that shofarguy actually DID address the points I made... and with instructions on HOW you can identify for yourself where the sweet spot is due to the factors I mentioned. Follow his well-explained instructions, and you will likely find valuable insights into how exactly to get the fuller sound you seek!
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to read the reactions by the original poster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: