• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bb /C conversion cornets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Convertible cornet options?
Sure, there might be 1-2 horns workable
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
You’d be surprised how many workable versatile cornets are out there
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Give me a break, just get a C cornet, for crying out loud!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

tsveggie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject: Bb /C conversion cornets Reply with quote

Please be gentle since I’m no professional but trying to get good for retirement work in nursing homes and such.

I have some issues matching Bb solos with piano accompaniment so I’d rather ad lib vocal solos
But in case of selections using both mediums, are there any convertible cornets that could be recommended for both Bb and C keys?

Capri cornet
Capri flugelhorn
Committee cornet 1956
Franklin imperial
Martin imperial
Martin Indiana
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any modern Bb/C conversion cornets. If you are interested in vintage cornets, such cornets seem to have been common in the late 1800 and early 1900's. At that time many cornets could be purchased with an array of tuning slides and tuning bits that would allow them to play in different keys, most commonly C, Bb, and A.
tsveggie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old cornet with two lead pipes. It might be missing the C valve slides.
I expect any conversion to be vintage. I have two with a conversion valve before the valves, I will give details in next day or two.

Capri cornet
Capri flugelhorn
Committee cornet 1956
Franklin imperial
Martin imperial
Martin Indiana
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Puje “Do Si Do” is a Bb / C Hybrid Horn (Cornet / Trumpet) available through Brent Peters of Puje Trumpets in Palouse, Washington. If you have access to “Facebook”, he has photos of the horn in a post dated 12/29/22. It is a beautiful, well playing horn that sounds like it will do everything you are looking for.
BTW, if you are not able to see it on Facebook, drop me an email at SSmith1226@aol.com and I’ll send you some screen shots.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1921 Conn 10A "Vocal" cornet. Within the constraints of vintage cornet performance, it plays quite well -- and equally well -- in both Bb and C. They don't tend to command high prices online and it sounds like one in good condition would satisfy your needs nicely.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few Getzen 800 Eterna Series C/Bb cornets. They are not easily found, and I don't believe in the current catalogue. I know my Bb Eterna is a fabulous player.

I have a Berkeley (Chinese made low end) Bb/C cornet I picked up when they were trying to break in to the US market about 10 years ago by starting them at 1 cent on eBay auctions and letting them run. I forget what I paid but I was up late and "sniped" it pretty cheaply.

I have played worse horns, but none that I kept or used outside the house. The sound is actually rather nice, intonation is quirky. I did take it to church ( not during a service, however) to test the acoustics. It sounded fine, but I was not playing accompanied.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
tsveggie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
I have seen a few Getzen 800 Eterna Series C/Bb cornets. They are not easily found, and I don't believe in the current catalogue. I know my Bb Eterna is a fabulous player.

I have a Berkeley (Chinese made low end) Bb/C cornet I picked up when they were trying to break in to the US market about 10 years ago by starting them at 1 cent on eBay auctions and letting them run. I forget what I paid but I was up late and "sniped" it pretty cheaply.

I have played worse horns, but none that I kept or used outside the house. The sound is actually rather nice, intonation is quirky. I did take it to church ( not during a service, however) to test the acoustics. It sounded fine, but I was not playing accompanied.

I have a berk “dual key” trumpet
A cornet like that would be good.

I have at least two conns with rotary key change
Let’s just say the cars stay outside so it’s taking me a while to find them

Call me a brass hoarder

Capri cornet
Capri flugelhorn
Committee cornet 1956
Franklin imperial
Martin imperial
Martin Indiana
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: