• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

4th Line "D"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's a lot of horns!!!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have missed it but have both tried your mouthpieces with other people's horns and tried your horn with other people's mouthpieces?

Had other players played your horn with their mouthpieces and did they try your mouthpiece with their horns?

First things first. Let's not just armchair this.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
Checking mouthpiece doesn't sound weird at all. Jay's point is well taken too. But, can you suggest an octave interval exercise I can use? Thanks!

I can tell you what has helped me. Some of the things I do spark tons of arguments, like they do with anyone else who writes about these things. So take what helps and leave the rest.

I begin my day quietly, slowly and purposefully. While I oil my valves, I do a little free-buzzing of my lips. I form them as if I were going to blow out a candle and then push them forward so that they buzz when air flows out between them. I don't try to play anything other than a five note scale at an easy register. This is just to loosen up the lip tissues and get the blood flowing there. I live in the Arizona desert, so this is helpful.

Next, I take just my mouthpiece and gently buzz into it to find the most resonant tone. It sounds like a duck call when it's correct. Again, nothing dramatic or forceful, just an easy five note scale. I only do this until I feel stabilized and get that duck call sound consistently.

Finally, I put the mouthpiece into the horn at my clocked position and start on middle G in the staff. I play descending 5 note scales, 5th to tonic, half notes at about 60-80bpm. The object is to get good tone, firm corners (search that topic, if you aren't familiar with the term) and a constant feel across all notes in this lower register. I play each scale down to F# in the same way.

After that, if I haven't been playing as regularly as I'd like and feel "flabby," I will start again at low F# and play ascending/descending octave scales back up to C major.

Finally, I'm ready to play octave intervals, but there's a catch. The first ones I play start at middle G and go down an octave using the same (in this case open) fingerings. I call them "ghost notes." At first, they will sound really foggy and diffused. I descend once more through all seven fingerings down to C#.

I use a pattern. Upper octave for four beats at 60bpm, lower octave for four beats at 60bpm, twice at least. It's important to find what it takes to get the most focussed tone out of those ghost notes. It will develop over time, if you work on this consistently. Also, I want my embouchure to remain essentially the same for both octaves; no major shifting of mouthpiece placement, angle or lip position. Once I get the whole note pattern clean, I do half notes at the same, slow tempo. I make sure to play two measures (8 intervals) cleanly. If I fluff one, I start over until I can get all 16 notes to land cleanly. Then, quarter notes in the same manner for two measures. I do the same on F# (second valve), then F and so on down to C#.

Finally, using quarter notes, I start on middle C#, play the ghost note below, back to middle C#, up an octave fourth space C# and back to middle C#, four cycles cleanly. Then, ascend through all seven valve combinations to G.

I find that this routine gets me ready to practice 2nd book in the concert band I'm part of. If I've done the exercises well, I can last through a rehearsal without getting tired or losing control, even though I usually don't practice every day (4 out of 7 is about the best I can do).

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Tivolian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
This is going to sound weird to you. Clock your mouthpiece. Find a mark on the cup, usually the rim size stamped into the metal. Put the mouthpiece into the receiver with that mark at 12:00 (straight up). Play something you use to warm up that has intervals. I like to use the song Alfie.

Now, take the mouthpiece out and insert it again (don't just twist it) 45 degrees to one side or the other. Play the same exercise again. Keep going "around the clock" noticing which position gives you the easiest response and greatest accuracy. Always insert your mouthpiece at this position. It can make a dramatic improvement in the consistency of your playing.

How is this supposed to work when mouthpieces are radially symmetrical? Is there any plausible mechanism that would make this work?
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of things that can add to an already confused state...

How about just singing the note first? Out loud, in the proper register, no wavering, solid, confident voice. Not an octave lower, you'll likely need to use falsetto voice. Then play what you sang, as you sang it. Perhaps some back and forth between voice and horn.

I'd also check to make certain your wind is starting at the same time you are envisioning your tone beginning. Perhaps begin without the tongue, but be certain you sing the tone first and have the pitch in your mind before you do.

It sounds more like an analysis paralysis issue to me, but I'm here, not where you are. If it is an acquired issue, you need to replace it with a new habit, and building on success through doing the correct thing over and over until it is second nature is about the only way to accomplish this. Unless there is actually an equipment problem, that's it, there will be no switch to flip. Good luck.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor OP. Unnecessary information overload? Did you do the obvious first?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could have missed it but have both tried your mouthpieces with other people's horns and tried your horn with other people's mouthpieces?

To kehaulani's good point, I haven't tried that. Just don't know anyone else in my area that plays; & I have no access to another horn. This might be a dumb comment; but in this "COVID" era, can one walk into a music store & try their horns without the store manager having to completely chemical clean them when you're done? As far as information overload. I don't mind that at all.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian...I've started some lets say "sparked discussions" myself on your approach as described in your first 4 or 5 paragraphs. But your approach over all makes sense.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to Craig's point, it is sort of a paralysis. Again, aside from perhaps anembouchure issue (although not with other notes), could be a now head case issue with this note; just like getting to a hole in golf where there is water, & putting it in your head that the ball is going swimming.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't truly hear the note, it is not going to come out.
And yes, some do "clock" their mouthpiece. It can seat better in the receiver.
Wayne Tanabe told me of this years ago when he owned the Brass Bow.
R. Tomasek
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on hearing the notes in my head. Thanks
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, hearing / imagining the pitch of the note is critical. In addition to the pitch, you also develop the 'reflex' of fingering, embouchure, air, etc.

My guess (lack of the ability) is that good improvisors of lyrical tunes (more than licks that fit the chord structure) can do it on the fly - construct a moving tune and 'just play the notes'.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To your point Jay, I can tell you one thing I'm getting a very good feel for, & that's re-writing a song in the proper key the artist sang it. For example, I always liked a song by Petula Clark entitled "This is My Song" Bought the music on line, down loaded it. Looking at it, I discovered it wasn't in her key or range; & it not the way she sang it (wasn't her version of the song), even the instrumental intro, & the instrumental break in the middle. Was nothing like she did it. I listened to her version of the song on you-tube, maybe 50 times, a small segment at a time. I was able very quickly to "hear" the notes, & transpose them in my head, & was never more than two notes off on the horn till I got each one right, & began re-writing it the way she sang it on a blank page of sheet music. Once I got going, I sailed through it. Took me about two hours, re-wrote the whole thing exactly like she sang it (her exact version of the song) beginning to end. So I'm starting to hear the notes in my head without playing them. The thing is, I can sing too. & I will say well so I'm told. (Bobby Darin type style, & throw Frankie Valli in there). So yeah, have to imagine it more, but that is developing.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tivolian wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
This is going to sound weird to you. Clock your mouthpiece. Find a mark on the cup, usually the rim size stamped into the metal. Put the mouthpiece into the receiver with that mark at 12:00 (straight up). Play something you use to warm up that has intervals. I like to use the song Alfie.

Now, take the mouthpiece out and insert it again (don't just twist it) 45 degrees to one side or the other. Play the same exercise again. Keep going "around the clock" noticing which position gives you the easiest response and greatest accuracy. Always insert your mouthpiece at this position. It can make a dramatic improvement in the consistency of your playing.

How is this supposed to work when mouthpieces are radially symmetrical? Is there any plausible mechanism that would make this work?

In theory, it should not make any difference, but nothing operates on theory. Reality is different. I've tried clocking mouthpieces and even my Harmon mute and each one has a position that works and sounds best. Why? Good question.

Back in the days when Jim New was foreman of the Kanstul factory, I spent time with him learning about mouthpieces, since he was (and is) something of a mouthpiece guru. He showed me a steel block he used to test individual mouthpiece shanks for size tolerance. The block was drilled with the same 1:20 taper used in mouthpiece receivers and shanks. He measured the amount of protrusion after inserting a mouthpiece into the block. It needed to be within +/- 0.020" of plan to be acceptable.

So, 1/1000" difference in diameter translates into a change of insertion of 20/1000". That means that an acceptable range of size would allow a total of 0.040" variation in receiver gap, the space between the end of the mouthpiece shank and the end of the lead pipe. Bob Reeves told me that a sensitive player could feel a change of 0.006" in that gap. This means that Kanstul produced "identical" mouthpieces with as much as 7 times the variation discernible by a good player.

I also watched Jim cut the back bore into a large batch of mouthpieces he was fabricating for a special Sony commemorative collector's edition of Miles Davis recordings. The outside of each blank was machined by a CNC lathe. A rod was inserted into the lathe and the machine would cut multiple blanks from it. I could hear the cutting going on, as I stood by Jim. Some sections of the rod cut smoothly, while others chattered and screeched. Why? There are changes in the alloy along the length of the rod. Perhaps, those changes also occur within the diameter of the rod, so one side cuts smoothly and the other chatters?

Anyway, after the outside of the blanks were cut, Jim took them over to a motorized chuck that would spin the blank while a reamer cut the back bore. The reamer, if I remember correctly, was about 8" long and mounted in a carriage that plunged it into the spinning mouthpiece. There was a straight bore that the reamer followed but here, too, some cut smoothly and others not so much. Vibrations during any of these steps will not produce a perfectly round result.

In the end, nothing we make is perfect, so there will be some units that play better than others and some units will need adjusting to find their best alignment. This is what "clocking" does.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting science behind that. I'm going to try it. Thanks
Tivolian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I get that the symmetry isn't perfect and that small flaws or variations can occur in the manufacturing process. I wonder, though, whether any effects are detectable in any consistent way. For instance, it seems unlikely that the OP's issue with missing the 4th line D would be affecting by such tiny shifts in the balance of the mouthpiece. That seems more like an ear-chops coordination issue. I also wonder if someone would come up with the same "optimal" position for the mpc twice.

But then, this is somewhat off the original topic, for which the OP has gotten some good suggestions.
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that there is something to that method, but I'm thinking one would have to be exactly consistent with their set up, embouchure, air control, etc, etc. If one is not, the results might not repeat. It's like golf conceptually. There is a machine called an Iron Byron. They attach a golf club to it, & it swings & hits the ball. With that, they test clubs & balls. This machine repeatedly swings EXACTLY the same EVERYTIME! With that, you get accurate results on ball flight golf balls or with clubs. If an amature like me did that with different clubs & balls, no way I'd be consistent every time. Even pro golfers, who's "tolerance" is waaaaaay more consistent, can't get the exact same results. But yes, the suggestions are good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: