• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double case/gig bag for trumpets and/or cornets?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: Double case/gig bag for trumpets and/or cornets? Reply with quote

Looking for recommendations for a case/bag that will hold 2 trumpets, 2 cornets or 1 of each. I have a separate bag for mutes and miscellaneous stuff, so just looking for something to hold and protect the horns. Getzen 900 DLX and Reynolds Contempora are the trumpets, and Conn 12A and Reynolds Contempora are the cornets, all of which I think are pretty standard sized.

Will be used to around the house and to take to local rehearsals and performances, no shipping or air travel involved. Prefer a bag to a case, but I'm not tied to it. Under $200 would be ideal. Thanks.
ACB Doublers flugel
Olds Recording trumpet
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy just picked up a Gard Compact Double Trumpet bag and it’s pretty nice and small. Not exactly sure how a cornet will fit though.

I use a Marcus Bonna double trumpet case. While it’s a case and not a bag, it has movable padding on the interior which lets you fit any horn you’d want.

The Marcus Bonna are a little more pricey though, so the alternative would be the ProTec Double Trumpet case. The quality is noticeably less than that of the Marcus Bonna, but it’s also half the price.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gard 9-MSK is a trumpet-flugel bag, but it's deep enough that it could hold two cornets and accessories very easily. In fact, it holds 3 horns. I can carry a flugel, trumpet, and cornet or flugel and 2 trumpets and with an additional insert you could carry all four of your horns. It's reasonably priced but very good quality.

https://www.gardbags.com/en/brasswind/trumpet/standard/9-mlk-doublers-trumpet-flugelhorn-gig-bag-leather-black

The above link is for the leather version but there is also the synthetic version with leather trim, which is what I have.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Protec IPAC double trumpet case will work well for that. It holds two piston Bb trumpets, two piston Bb cornets or a combination of the two.

It is a well-made, reasonably protective hard case. I believe they cost around $160 USD. Not as sturdy as a Bonna or Torpedo double, but it should handle any reasonable bumps just fine.

If you go with a gig bag, you might consider a triple vice a double. I found that double bags are sometimes too snug for two cornets unless they are a trumpet/flugelhorn double. I like my Cronkhite triple, which works with two cornets, two trumpets or both, but you might also look at the Gard and Ritter RBS7 triple cases. The Ritter bag seemed to offer the most protection, but I have no idea of how durable it us (Cronkhite and Gard are both quite durable, including the zippers).
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Messina Covers makes a nice variety of trumpet bags - high quality padding, and can customize if you wish.

The 2.5 trumpet bag is excellent, for two and a few ditties.
The Full 3 is quite roomy
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll be checking all these out.
ACB Doublers flugel
Olds Recording trumpet
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music& arts has the Gard 5-eclk leather triple trumpet case for 237.00. That's a steal for this case .https://www.musicarts.com/gard-5-eclk-elite-series-black-leather-compact-triple-trumpet-gig-bag-main0509716

That's about 100.00 off the usual retail price. It's a great bag and pretty compact. This is the black one. But here is my gator and blue one. It should be here tomorrow if you need pics of the inside.

https://www.musicarts.com/gard-5-eclk-elite-series-black-leather-compact-triple-trumpet-gig-bag-main0509716
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
Music& arts has the Gard 5-eclk leather triple trumpet case for 237.00. That's a steal for this case .https://www.musicarts.com/gard-5-eclk-elite-series-black-leather-compact-triple-trumpet-gig-bag-main0509716

That's about 100.00 off the usual retail price. It's a great bag and pretty compact. This is the black one. But here is my gator and blue one. It should be here tomorrow if you need pics of the inside.

Where did you get your gator and blue one?
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
chef8489 wrote:

Where did you get your gator and blue one?

I got it from North Country Winds, but it was the only one they had in the gator blue. They have a few other colors left like gator and burgundy.
https://www.northcountrywinds.com/collections/gard-bags/products/gard-elite-compact-triple-trumpet-gig-bag-black-leather?variant=39699358122071
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
...I got it from North Country Winds, but it was the only one they had in the gator blue. They have a few other colors left like gator and burgundy.
https://www.northcountrywinds.com/collections/gard-bags/products/gard-elite-compact-triple-trumpet-gig-bag-black-leather?variant=39699358122071

So the regular price from North Country Winds is $340 (which is what I recall mine costing from JLandressBrass.com in 2017, and I now see is still at that price from JLB), and NCW is out of Black, but you can get plain Black from Music & Arts right now for $277. Very reasonably priced either way. I think they're great cases. BTW, I did a comparison of the actual interior space on the flugel/tpt and the compact triple tpt, and the flugel/tpt has considerably more room. You just have to get creative with padding. Jens Lindemann has that YouTube video with putting 5 horns in the compact triple, and I've done it at home just for grins, but I wouldn't feel comfortable actually transporting that many of my horns in the one case.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
chef8489 wrote:
...I got it from North Country Winds, but it was the only one they had in the gator blue. They have a few other colors left like gator and burgundy.

So the regular price from North Country Winds is $340 (which is what I recall mine costing from JLandressBrass.com in 2017, and I now see is still at that price from JLB), and NCW is out of Black, but you can get plain Black from Music & Arts right now for $277. Very reasonably priced either way. I think they're great cases. BTW, I did a comparison of the actual interior space on the flugel/tpt and the compact triple tpt, and the flugel/tpt has considerably more room. You just have to get creative with padding. Jens Lindemann has that YouTube video with putting 5 horns in the compact triple, and I've done it at home just for grins, but I wouldn't feel comfortable actually transporting that many of my horns in the one case.

A close friend sent these when I was deciding between 5-eclk triple trumpet and 9-eclk trumpet and flugelhorn

dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
...A close friend sent these when I was deciding between 5-eclk triple trumpet and 9-eclk trumpet and flugelhorn...

Right. Those pics are pretty clear about the diff's btw the 5 and 9 series. I'd choose the 9 series for maxing out at maybe a Bb, C, picc, and flugel, and with the 5 series, I'd probably use for three horns max with flugel being one of them. I'd definitely prefer the 5 series for airplane carryon, and I've done that with no issue, and it fit fine under the seat in front of me. I'm not sure you could sneak the 9 series on a plane.

Back to one of the OP's preferences, I see that Music & Arts does have the 5 series (5-MCSK, which is without the two larger outer zippered sections) in synthetic with leather trim for only $118!

https://www.musicarts.com/gard-compact-triple-trumpet-gig-bag-main0129263

And they offer the compact double 4 series (4-MCSK) in synthetic with leather trim for only $102!

https://www.musicarts.com/gard-compact-double-trumpet-gig-bag-main0127711

One thing to remember with M&A is, they will give you a 10% discount if you're a teacher, even if you're only a private lesson teacher at your home. The other day, I slipped into an Apple Store (haven't been to one in the past few years), and I was reminded of their Education sales discount being very similar, plus, they have the Apple Card that gives you 3% cash back on their products.

I've had leather GARD cases and synthetic MB cases, and I've gotten to where I really don't care what I'm using. There are times, though, that I prefer synthetic, since I'm a neat freak and don't like putting a nice, leather case on some of the floors where I'm gigging, which is something else to think about.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
chef8489 wrote:
...A close friend sent these when I was deciding between 5-eclk triple trumpet and 9-eclk trumpet and flugelhorn...

Right. Those pics are pretty clear about the diff's btw the 5 and 9 series. I'd choose the 9 series for maxing out at maybe a Bb, C, picc, and flugel, and with the 5 series, I'd probably use for three horns max with flugel being one of them. I'd definitely prefer the 5 series for airplane carryon, and I've done that with no issue, and it fit fine under the seat in front of me. I'm not sure you could sneak the 9 series on a plane.

Back to one of the OP's preferences, I see that Music & Arts does have the 5 series (5-MCSK, which is without the two larger outer zippered sections) in synthetic with leather trim for only $118!

https://www.musicarts.com/gard-compact-triple-trumpet-gig-bag-main0129263

And they offer the compact double 4 series (4-MCSK) in synthetic with leather trim for only $102!

https://www.musicarts.com/gard-compact-double-trumpet-gig-bag-main0127711

One thing to remember with M&A is, they will give you a 10% discount if you're a teacher, even if you're only a private lesson teacher at your home. The other day, I slipped into an Apple Store (haven't been to one in the past few years), and I was reminded of their Education sales discount being very similar, plus, they have the Apple Card that gives you 3% cash back on their products.

I've had leather GARD cases and synthetic MB cases, and I've gotten to where I really don't care what I'm using. There are times, though, that I prefer synthetic, since I'm a neat freak and don't like putting a nice, leather case on some of the floors where I'm gigging, which is something else to think about.

Many people including Jan's have been able to fit 5 horns including a flugelhorn into the 5 series. Those videos are on YouTube. The 9 series does offer more room, but fitting them on the overhead compartment might be an issue.

I think if op doesn't need leather the synthetic options from Gard are a great option from Music & Arts.
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the help. I ended up buying a Gard 10MLK triple bag - $155 from Music & Arts (musicarts.com). I haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet, bit it seems like it'll do everything I need it to.
ACB Doublers flugel
Olds Recording trumpet
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nixer wrote:
Thanks to all for the help. I ended up buying a Gard 10MLK triple bag - $155 from Music & Arts (musicarts.com). I haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet, bit it seems like it'll do everything I need it to.

That's a good price. I got my 9-MSK four years ago for about $135 from WWBW, but that was for the synthetic material. So to get the larger one in leather at that price is a great deal.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Bionx
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gard users

From the YouTube review videos and pictures of their 5- and 9-series cases, it seems to me that only the top and the bottom part of the cases are hard and resistant to knocks. What about the sides? They look flimsy to me.

If I were to squeeze a flugel, Bb, C (or Cornet) and mutes, I’m wondering how would things pan out if I’m on the public transportation and accidentally hit my case against a handlebar.
C Conn Vintage One
Bb Yamaha Xeno YCR-8335S
Scodwell USA Flugelhorn
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bionx wrote:
Hi Gard users

From the YouTube review videos and pictures of their 5- and 9-series cases, it seems to me that only the top and the bottom part of the cases are hard and resistant to knocks. What about the sides? They look flimsy to me.

If I were to squeeze a flugel, Bb, C (or Cornet) and mutes, I’m wondering how would things pan out if I’m on the public transportation and accidentally hit my case against a handlebar.

The Gard suspension system protects the horn from contacting the sides of the case and is well padded (I'm speaking of my 9-MSK, don't have experience with the other bags). The bottom and the ends are hard and have a good amount of foam padding. The lid has a thick pad as well, so the third horn that goes at the top is still well-protected. Obviously I wouldn't want to bang it into things or slam doors on it, but it protects my horns well enough for my needs. If you're traveling with your horns a lot you might want something sturdier, like a Stomvi Quad or something like unto it that is still relatively lightweight for a hard case. They cost more than the Gard bags but offer more protection and can be gate-checked on the airlines if necessary.

My Gard bag will carry three horns - usually for me that's a flugel, Bb, and piccolo, though in place of the piccolo I can fit my cornet or another Bb trumpet. The 9-MSK can also be configured to carry four trumpets with an additional pad (or "taco" insert) so you could carry a Bb, C, D/Eb and piccolo, for example. You would have to order the extra insert separately. I have a separate Protec mute bag that clips onto my Gard bag.

https://www.gardbags.com/en/brasswind/trumpet/standard/9-msk-doublers-trumpet-flugelhorn-gig-bag-black-synthetic-with-leather-trim
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1969 Getzen Capri cornet

Last edited by spitvalve on Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:10 am; edited 3 times in total
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have a Gard Elite Compact Double bag. It is not as protective as a Torpedo Bag or a Marcus Bonna case, but it is still quite protective. The sides do have some flex to them, but not much. It should offer ample protection unless someone sits on it, hits it with a baseball bat, or makes some other kind of extreme contact with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: