• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Add a 3rd valve water key?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Add a 3rd valve water key? Reply with quote

I have a 'B' Series Schilke that I really like (B6). It gets a lot of use. My issue is the 3rd valve slide does not have a water key and with the stop screw getting condensation out of the slide is a pain. It involves either holding the horn up and blowing while depressing the valves in sequence, 3,2,1 and then turning it around and emptying it through the bell. We've all seen this move, and during a performance it really makes you stick out. Option 2 is backing out the stop screw and pulling the slide. Either way it's not a quick solution like the 'dump' slide on some horns.

A water key can be put on the slide but I'm concerned that may negatively effect the horn.

Have any one of you experience with this? I'm sure there are many opinions but actual experience would be preferred.

Install a water key or just live with it as is?

Actually another option is to have Schilke build me another slide with a water key, but that's an expensive option. ...I guess the term 'spit valve' is no longer correct
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything changes something. I have tried 3rd valve slides with vaterkeys on my Bach’s and quickly changed back. The response was altered.

Try to pull the 2nd slide, tilt the horn to the right and upwards and blow.
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe to make the change reversible get a replacement slide with a waterkey on it, or have one added, keeping your current as is just in case.

Of course the new slide will need fitting by a tech.

If it were me, if the replacement doesn’t come with a waterkey I would fit it without and see if it changes the horn from the stock configuration. But that is due to my curious nature.
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a water key to that third slide will definitely change how the horn plays. (The third slide area is very touchy about changes in mass…) The safest thing would be for you to contact Shilke and discuss with them having an alternate slide made with waterkey. Personally, I would just make peace with backing the stop screw out and dumping the slide.
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeLoeffler wrote:
...Personally, I would just make peace with backing the stop screw out and dumping the slide.

That's a good way to put it because I haven't made peace with it. Perhaps too many years of using a water key or dump slide (Bach 37), if that's the right term.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned various Schilke trumpets over the years.

I know we're all different, but I've never given it a second thought to backing the stop screw out a few turns and dumping the slide.

If it's a real concern for you, you might be happier with a different horn. I certainly wouldn't add a water key to your Schilke.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I never minded blowing the moisture out the bell of my Schilke X4b, but the same move never worked as well on the CX5. I had my local repair guy install an Amado on the third slide and never looked back.

I'm planning on contacting Schilke and sending the CX5 in for some work and when that's done it will end up with a lever-style Schilke water key on the third slide.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned an X4 for a year or two. I had the same problem you mention. I went to ITG with a fellow TH member the year it was in Anaheim and had Kanstul put an Amado key on the third slide.

It made no discernible difference to the horn's responsiveness, it made dealing with moisture buildup easy and it minimized a funky, nasal overtone that lots of Schilke horns seem to have to some degree or another.

In my case, it was a total win.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with getting a second dump slide with a water key made so you can keep the original. This was advised to me by Charlie Melk for my restoration on my 1967 Bach 37. I should know in June how this works out for me.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts seem to be confirmed. I'm not going to mess with the original slide. If anything I'd probably go with a complete new slide.

I contacted Schilke and with shipping + insurance and all a new slide with a lever water key will come in around $500.- with about a 4 week turn around.

Need to think on this. In the mean time I'll see if I can retrain myself to just use the stop screw and see how that goes. For me $500.- is a lot for a gamble just to find out if it works.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:
My thoughts seem to be confirmed. I'm not going to mess with the original slide. If anything I'd probably go with a complete new slide.

I contacted Schilke and with shipping + insurance and all a new slide with a lever water key will come in around $500.- with about a 4 week turn around.

Need to think on this. In the mean time I'll see if I can retrain myself to just use the stop screw and see how that goes. For me $500.- is a lot for a gamble just to find out if it works.

That's a lot. Is that for a full third slide or just a dump slides? Charlie Melk is only charging me a bit under 200.00 for one for My Bach.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one other option. On the B7L I purchased a few weeks ago, it also had no 3rd valve slide waterkey. My solution, which as it turned out was not needed.

Remove the stop screw and leave it in a drawer. To ensure the slide does not fall out, use some type of flexible band. I use "scrunchies', those rubber band looking things women use in their hair. I loop two together, put one end on the 1st valve slide U hook and the other end on the 3rd valve slide ring.

Do NOT use regular rubber band as there is some acidity in regular old rubber bands.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
There is one other option. On the B7L I purchased a few weeks ago, it also had no 3rd valve slide waterkey. My solution, which as it turned out was not needed.

Remove the stop screw and leave it in a drawer. To ensure the slide does not fall out, use some type of flexible band. I use "scrunchies', those rubber band looking things women use in their hair. I loop two together, put one end on the 1st valve slide U hook and the other end on the 3rd valve slide ring.

Do NOT use regular rubber band as there is some acidity in regular old rubber bands.

It is sulphur in the rubber bands from the vulcanizing process. I believe silver tarnish is basically silver sulfide.
mr oakmount
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I contacted Schilke and with shipping + insurance and all a new slide with a lever water key will come in around $500.- with about a 4 week turn around."

It cost me less than half that to get a full set of Bb slides (main, 1st, 2nd and 3rd) for my Bach C trumpet. That's a lot of dough ...

If a 3rd valve slide water key is important for you, I'd just have an Amando fitted by a capable service technician and live with any possible minor changes that might or might not come with it. It's not going to turn an amazing trumpet into a watering can, is it?

PS: Before anyone asks: Yes, the Bb slides work great. It sounds very Strad 25-ish. Very well in tune with itself. Just quite front heavy and harder to hold for a long time.
robrtx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to remove 2nd valve slide, turn trumpet 90 degrees with 2nd valve slide opening facing floor, and blow while holding down 2nd and 3rd valves.

Bb: Schilke
Flglhn: Adams F1
robrtx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trumpetera"Try to pull the 2nd slide, tilt the horn to the right and upwards and blow.[/quote]

This

Bb: Schilke
Flglhn: Adams F1
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found the head of the 3rd screw to be kinda small for quick use. A buddy who is also a carpenter made an oversized wood knob that he expoxied to the screw head.

It's big enough to comfortably grab & twist but not so big that it's obtrusive. I think it added only a couple of grams of weight to the horn.

Problem fixed!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:

That's a lot. Is that for a full third slide or just a dump slides? Charlie Melk is only charging me a bit under 200.00 for one for My Bach.

Actually it's not that bad. For a full slide with water key, that's around $350-. The shipping and insurance drives the cost up. For me, retail UPS, my last horn with $2500- insurance was close to $75.-. That's a 12 x 12 x 24 although UPS charged me extra (after the fact) because they said it was 12 x 14 x 25. They use a different ruler I guess.

So I had to estimate a total shipping of around $150.-. Actual total cost will be somewhere in the ballpark of ~$500.- +/- a bit, my estimate.

I've never tried the 2nd valve clearing, yet.

When I went to unscrew the stop screw last night it took a lot of effort to get it loose. Being small and not used often. I'm not sure I'd epoxy a wood piece on there but I think I've seen some where that sells oversized stop screws?.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good brass tech could install an Amado key for probably $75, and most of that price is the cost of the key.

But I do agree with the comments that adding a spit valve will change the playing characteristics of a horn.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:
When I went to unscrew the stop screw last night it took a lot of effort to get it loose. Being small and not used often. I'm not sure I'd epoxy a wood piece on there but I think I've seen some where that sells oversized stop screws?.

I’m not sure that getting a bigger diameter stop screw will be sufficient when you need to quickly empty the slide but I’m sure the cost to purchase and ship one from Schilke would be considerably less than a second slide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: