• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Charley Davis Bb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ws tpt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Charley Davis Bb Reply with quote

I originally heard about Charley's horns here on the TH, but haven't seen many posts about them. Mr. Davis offers 3 separate models. Of Bbs, one based on his Callichio, one based on his Bach 37, with a 25 pipe & a 3rd model, with a 37 bell & a 6 leadpipe. His horns are available at both Washington Music Center ( Chuck Levins) & also thru Bob Reeves brass. Over the years, I have owned a couple of Bach's with a 6 pipe and liked the way 6 pipe focuses the sound and brings the resistance closer. I play a couple of Reeves mouthpieces & have talked with John Snell several times. I did not realize that Charles Bach copy was available until talking with John when I ordered a mute. I purchased the horn through Reeves because they offer their PVA as part of the purchase. There were 4 horns available at the time, so I had John play through them. I'm familiar with his playing & trusted his assessment of each horn. I mainly play with my church ensemble & have been using my Davis horn since late October. There is a lot of presence in the sound. I'm mixed for our services & feel, with the 6 pipe, that I'm not pushing as hard. Each week starts with a 45 minute sound check-rehearsal followed by 2 services,9 & 10:30, with 25 to 30 minutes of playing at the front of each.The Davis horn blends well in my section, other players are using Shires, Bach & Yamaha. These are very well made. I'm definitely enjoying mine. I hope this is helpful. All the best,[/youtube]
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a couple of his horns at ITG years ago and got to meet him. The Calicchio copy was one of the better horns I played at the show, very tempting.
https://yourbrass.com/
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charley was at an event at The Horn Trader last year, and brought a selection of his horns. The one I liked best was the one he was not selling - his personal horn. I got one of his harmon mutes, which is great, and tried his prototype Picc, which I liked, but haven't seen him since.
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Dershem,

I would like to know who built the prototype picc that Charlie Davis designed.
Back in 213 I bought a picc from Steve Dillard that he said was designed by Charle Davis and Zig Kanstul. It had no markings on it. It is a very good picc.

Then in 2015 I was at the Columbus ITG. I went to Tony Scodwell's booth and Charlie was sitting there playing trumpet with a practice mute. I had the picc with me. So I went over to Charlie to talk to him about the horn. His response was, without looking at me or the horn, "I don't know what you are talking about" and then went back to playing his horn.

If you could let me know who made the horn, I would appreciate it. I'm thinking Tony Scodwell.
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew! I would like one of those, and my attempts to reach out to him since that event at the Horn Trader have been fruitless.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Charley Davis piccolo Reply with quote

I didn't have any input on the piccolo trumpets Charley was working on with Zig Kanstul. I can say that Charley has spent a great deal of time (and money) on his own currently and the piccolo he now has is getting great reviews. Bob Reeves seems to be the go to place for Charley's horns and I would suggest a call to John for the latest information.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: