• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

INSIDE THE RIM - OUTSIDE THE RIM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg Spence
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject: INSIDE THE RIM - OUTSIDE THE RIM Reply with quote

Hi all. We are expanding MTM into the WindWorks Trumpet Academy and one of the massive concepts making a difference to people is the concept of what needs to happen inside and outside of the mouthpiece rim.

Speaking personally, for years my understanding was that body exertion was the secret to development and successful playing. Turns out all of that extra effort was obliterating what was supposed to be happening inside the cup.

Come and learn more here: https://mysterytomastery.com/overblowing-stop-burning-the-pizza/

Cheers
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: INSIDE THE RIM - OUTSIDE THE RIM Reply with quote

Greg Spence wrote:
for years my understanding was that body exertion was the secret to development and successful playing.

There is no single secret - there are many parts of the whole that all have to come together - if the air isn't there it doesn't matter what you do inside or outside the rim. If what you do at the mouthpiece isn't right lots of air won't correct the problem, etc.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Greg Spence
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. There are many moving parts in the whole process.

I spend hours a day working with players of all standards all over the planet and without fail, problems arise due to a misunderstanding of the role of the body (outside the rim) causing massive overexertion and putting unnecessary pressure on the oscillator inside the rim.

For years I was told to use "more air" to fix problems and to "buzz the lips together" to create sound.

Sadly both of these ideas are still prevalent; and wrong.

There is LESS work required "outside the rim" than people generally think and what needs to happen "inside the rim" is less complicated and physical than people generally think.

This is all based on my own experience and that of my students over the past 30 years.

There is a better and easier way to play...
AndyDavids
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg Spence wrote:
For years I was told to use "more air" to fix problems and to "buzz the lips together" to create sound.

Sadly both of these ideas are still prevalent; and wrong.

There is a better and easier way to play...
THIS!! Wish I had learned this 10 years ago
Just_Another_Hack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the chops are relaxed and the tongue is handling the workload, it takes very little air to play the horn well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: