• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Are the old king 601 really student horns?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eduardo90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Are the old king 601 really student horns? Reply with quote

Hello everybody hope you all doing great, a few weeks ago i had the oportunity to purchase a vintage circa 1975 nickel or silver plated king 601 trumpet in good playing conditions, the horn came with two mouthpices, a little bit of valve oil, a bach stradivarius case in good conditions, two mutes and he also gave me a conn constellation cornet in repair conditions with orginal case and with a vincent bach 3c mouthpiece he asked me 189 usd for the trumpet, so since a few weeks ago i have been almost exclusively practicing with the king 601 trumpet which is marketed as a student trumpet, but according to my experience it looks as a not too friendly horn to a complete begginer since it features a combination of a big bell (a littlle over 5 inches) and also it has a 0.462 inches bore which i think its almost a large bore horn, also it cachted my attention that it has first valve thumb saddle wich was not a common feature among student horns from that era, i also have a bach 43 and a getzen eterna severinsen so im aware that the king 601 is not a professional horn, the valves of the king 601 are not as good as the valves of the bach 43 or the eterna and also the tone is not as flexible and is not as responsive as a pro horn, however i think that its a good intermediate horn. Also, i started with a lacquered king 600 trumpet manufactured in the 90s and is completely differnt from the king 601 that i own now, the valves were completely the diffrent, the king 600 didnt have a first valve saddle, the belll was also smaller, that king 600 really feel to me as a student trumpet.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nickel plated Kings from the 70's could be considered "mid-range" instruments. They also made a "Tempo" model that was nickel plated. Later they did only lacquered brass for 600's and 601's.
In any event, King is one of the best-playing student model trumpets out there.
https://yourbrass.com/
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Are the old king 601 really student horns? Reply with quote

Eduardo90 wrote:
Hello everybody hope you all doing great, a few weeks ago i had the oportunity to purchase a vintage circa 1975 nickel or silver plated king 601 trumpet in good playing conditions, the horn came with two mouthpices, a little bit of valve oil, a bach stradivarius case in good conditions, two mutes and he also gave me a conn constellation cornet in repair conditions with orginal case and with a vincent bach 3c mouthpiece he asked me 189 usd for the trumpet, so since a few weeks ago i have been almost exclusively practicing with the king 601 trumpet which is marketed as a student trumpet, but according to my experience it looks as a not too friendly horn to a complete begginer since it features a combination of a big bell (a littlle over 5 inches) and also it has a 0.462 inches bore which i think its almost a large bore horn, also it cachted my attention that it has first valve thumb saddle wich was not a common feature among student horns from that era, i also have a bach 43 and a getzen eterna severinsen so im aware that the king 601 is not a professional horn, the valves of the king 601 are not as good as the valves of the bach 43 or the eterna and also the tone is not as flexible and is not as responsive as a pro horn, however i think that its a good intermediate horn. Also, i started with a lacquered king 600 trumpet manufactured in the 90s and is completely differnt from the king 601 that i own now, the valves were completely the diffrent, the king 600 didnt have a first valve saddle, the belll was also smaller, that king 600 really feel to me as a student trumpet.

I'd be interested in looking at the horn. A lot of the time the seller get the dates completly wrong by a few decades or more because they usually miss prefix for serial number or miss something in the dating of king instruments.

I started on the King 600 in 1985 and played it through the late 90s. It was a great horn and wish I still had it for sentimental reasons. The .462 bores on them do really well.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beginning in 1980, King Musical Instruments offered both a 600 (basic student horn, no thumb hook) and also a 601 (thumb hook, 5-inch bell, and available in either lacquer or bright silver plate.) They also had a 1501 intermediate model in nickel silver finish. The pro horns were the new "2000 Series" models. (I was a King dealer.)
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: